Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
west bend 820's and E bay
agree with Ted on that. They seem to be the only bolt to use anymore. I'm done with all the crap you get for other uses. What's the price of a complete engine? $42.50 is cheap vs. an engine. Never ever using HoloChrome again. Genuine Mac bolts aren"t the same as they were 40 years ago so I don't know where they came from. Got some supposed genuine 101 bolts but under a magnifying glass they are different than ones 40 years ago and I've seen these break also. $42.50 or $750. I like the $42.50 better.
Steve, can you explain the HoloChrome comment?  In layman's terms please.  I'm not that experienced in engines and technique but I'm trying to learn.  Anytime a West Bend subject comes up, I sit up and take notes.
(02-28-2017, 03:00 PM)steve welte Wrote: agree with Ted on that. They seem to be the only bolt to use anymore. I'm done with all the crap you get for other uses. What's the price of a complete engine? $42.50 is cheap vs. an engine. Never ever using HoloChrome again. Genuine Mac bolts aren"t the same as they were 40 years ago so I don't know where they came from. Got some supposed genuine 101 bolts but under a magnifying glass they are different than ones 40 years ago and I've seen these break also. $42.50 or $750. I like the $42.50 better.

AMEN to that! I watched my friend, Stan Wauthier, cut a perfectly good 820 partially in half at Fremont. The new rod and Dave's bolts are really cheap insurance. TJ
"The most expensive fastener is the one that fails"
Holokrome is sold by fastenal and is still USA made for this particular bolt. It was suggested to use on the Macs. guys were saying how good they were. I had lost 2 engines to them. I also lost 1 engine to the genuine Mac 91 bolts and one had the bolt break in the rod at the joint and the head blow through the stuffer, killing the engine before it could finish coming apart. the rod was damaged from movement after the break but that engine stayed together. Had a friend have 101 rod bolts pop the heads off sitting still not running. went to start it and clankty clank. No rod cap on the rod. It's your choice. when I pull my engines down i know what rod bolt they are getting. I've not had a WB break the special bolt at this point. The aero space WB bolt can be shortened and used in Macs.
Im surprised the splined bolts arent that great.