Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
west bend 820's and E bay
If you are looking at West Bend 820's do your homework first. Almost all the old engines have the old weak rod that has to be replaced. They will have the old thick ring piston. They need bearings and seals. You are buying a used unknown engine and you are hoping the chrome bore is still good. I suggest you go to the US MotorPower web site and add up the parts. You may be better off buying a new engine. I can't tell anyone what they should pay for a used engine but I can say if you pay more than 175.00 to $250.00 and have to do all the work and parts replacement you are paying to much. It is all a gamble. Also stay tuned as new information may be coming on New West Bend 820's.
I got just over $200 for a core engine a few years ago. It was a block with a used re ringed piston assembly, crank and mag plate assembled . I was surprised it bidded up that high to be honest. Im interested to hear the new info on the new 820s. I've heard the Copeerhead is no longer available ?
the Copperhead is just a name on a West Bend offered by them. It was really just a Bonbright engine or one like I would build or Jeff Brown, Dick Teal or a host of other people.
Yeah I was still with US Motor Power when that was in development. Did a lot of dyno testing on that configuration. I thought I heard you couldn't buy them any more with the HR carb big reed block etc.
I spoke to a gentleman from U.S. MoPo a couple months ago. He took time to talk about the 820s , cant remember his name. He told me they had an intake like the Copperheads they were testing with the new head gasket , that was more like a gasket than a shim, .055 thickness. He said it sealed better than the ole style. From what I remember the dyno needed repair.
Art, not problem with the alum gasket. Spray it with copper coat when you install it. It is a hard alum compared to a Mac alum gasket. I've used the WB over and over by spraying. The composite may be ok but not for what we are doing.
Thanks Steve , I spray mine with the copper spray also. When I talked to the guy at USMP he said the new gasket was a better sealing gasket but there was no mention of using copper spray with the .032 head gasket. So maybe he meant it was better compared to the bare aluminum gasket with no spray. .055 kills compression also I imagine if yoh didnt mill the head to compensate. Do you have experience using the new gasket Steve, do they blow out or is it just the c.r. loss?
the new gasket should work great for their Industrial application. Remember there is no one there that understands anything about karting.
(01-31-2017, 12:57 PM)steve welte Wrote: the new gasket should work great for their Industrial application.  Remember there is no one there that understands anything about karting.

Thats too bad . I was there in the 90s when there was still a WKA 820 class and it was running pretty strong for a little while. I was certainly no karting expert but I learned a lot about the engines from testing and advice for Dave Bonbright. It was a fun time and I actually enjoyed going to work. Is he still involved with them at all ?
John I talked to Dave yesterday afternoon. He was calling them today. The new blocks are coming with the exh squared but still not boost ported.