Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern engine
Ted,   

You've definitely got bragging rights on that 610!  A fine engine.

Hope all's well out in AZ. We sure missed you and Charlie at The Big One.

Stan
Stan! Hi, you ol' buzzard! Tongue  I sure hope you and Joel are doing well. I had the Photon at Tucson last November, and had two of Bill Rowan's nice HL368A carbs on it. It has the Tom Kelley YZ Yammie reed in it, too. With the CLL I have, I couldn't run enough laps at a time to get the new carbs adjusted. The inlet is also too big with two o0f them on a 6 inch motor. Terry got on it and ran and tweaked, and tweaked and ran.  a few minutes later, I was looking around for the kart, and one of the guys said "it's down in Terry's pit". I walked down there to see what was going on, and Terry had my Rev Grip off the kart and was replacing the shoes and spring. Heck, I thought I already had good parts in there! He took it back out and thrashed it for a few more laps, came back in and got off. He said: "That thing's fast as Hell!". That, my friend, was the nicest compliment I have had in a very long time. This from a Mac man... I sure wish I could drive half as well as Terry can! He told me to get those 368's off and put my old Hank Rotroff alky 250's back on, and add two teeth on the bottom. I did that, and I hope I have the cojones to go to Tucson again this November. I can only do maybe three or four hard laps before I get tired and sloppy. It's still fun to ride, and that chassis really handles well.
I sure miss seeing the two of you at Fremont. Of course, Bob Kurkowski came out here last November, and we all hope he makes it this year. It was a little bit like old times with him here. Please take care and stay safe. Ted
(09-11-2020, 11:13 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Hey, Tom, I'm just having fun! Yammies are great. I'm just one of the weird guys who like fan cooled American two cycles. I love to be the guy who outruns the "accepted" engines with the ones people say "can't be made to run". Ask the guys around here about my lowly 610. Ted

Hi Ted,
  I am primarily a Mac man.I have always built my Macs myself except for the machine work. I also own and have owned WB,PP, Yamaha,Komet and Corsair but my most fun has been with my Macs since my first one in the 60's which was a MC7 on a used Bug kart for $150 that I made payments on and paid for myself. Direct drive. Probably the most dependable kart and engine outfit I ever owned! NEVER failed me!
Tom, I started in '58 with a Clinton A400, tried dual E-65's, a prototype AH58, then got an Mc5 YECCCH. Mr. Mac sent my Pop a pre-production Mc6 conversion, and I was off. I ran the '6, switched to an Mc20, back to a stroked Mc10, modified per Gil Horstman's instructions to Pop, tried a '30 and a '40, all modified Horstman style. Went back to the stroked '10. It was the best 6 inch Mac. I ran open square-port 101's in B Limited in the late seventies before switching to open LMR's and open Atlas reed motors. It wasn't until vintage that I switched to the 610's, and got lucky and started right out with Bonbright modified engines. They're fast and bulletproof. I like the beefy block, and I like the 1/4" bolts. I love Macs, I just don't like rebuilding them! Ted