Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern engine
Just curious if anyone has ran a modern engine on a vintage kart?

Don’t get me wrong I’m all about vintage. Just wondering if vintage engines ever got hard to come by what could be ran on a vintage frame.

Smile
Brad, as the number of new vintage karters declines, as the number of active vintage karters becomes fewer and fewer, I believe that a sufficient number of vintage engines are still laying around in garages and basements to supply the sport for many years. There are also a lot of old saw motors, pump engines, Tecumseh snowblower and mini bike engines that can be pressed into service if need be. Who knows, U.S. Motor Power may even yet be resurrected after the chinese plague is finally over, if it ever is. I think we'll be O.K. on the engine front. The tough part is getting good cranks, rods and pistons to keep things going. Hang in there! Ted
(09-08-2020, 11:26 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Brad, as the number of new vintage karters declines, as the number of active vintage karters becomes fewer and fewer, I believe that a sufficient number of vintage engines are still laying around in garages and basements to supply the sport for many years. There are also a lot of old saw motors, pump engines, Tecumseh snowblower and mini bike engines that can be pressed into service if need be. Who knows, U.S. Motor Power may even yet be resurrected after the chinese plague is finally over, if it ever is. I think we'll be O.K. on the engine front. The tough part is getting good cranks, rods and pistons to keep things going. Hang in there! Ted

US Motor Power is closed ?
(09-08-2020, 05:31 PM)John Decker Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 11:26 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Brad, as the number of new vintage karters declines, as the number of active vintage karters becomes fewer and fewer, I believe that a sufficient number of vintage engines are still laying around in garages and basements to supply the sport for many years. There are also a lot of old saw motors, pump engines, Tecumseh snowblower and mini bike engines that can be pressed into service if need be. Who knows, U.S. Motor Power may even yet be resurrected after the chinese plague is finally over, if it ever is. I think we'll be O.K. on the engine front. The tough part is getting good cranks, rods and pistons to keep things going. Hang in there! Ted

US Motor Power is closed ?
They are relocating. Don't know the location. Keep your fingers crossed.
(09-08-2020, 11:14 AM)Brad Rose Wrote: Just curious if anyone has ran a modern engine on a vintage kart?

Don’t get me wrong I’m all about vintage. Just wondering if vintage engines ever got hard to come by what could be ran on a vintage frame.

Smile

There are a jillion yamahas out there. should be good on those for a long time. there are a lot of us that are getting old and need replacements for us.The engines may outlast the membership.There were a lot of engines made in the 90's as well.
But there are a LOT of us who wouldn't run a Yamaha if it were given to us for free. Count me in that bunch. I'd as soon run a four cycle. Ted
Hopefully US motor will get going soon and it won’t be an issue!
Brad, the issue there is that, especially among actual "vintage" karters, those who raced back in the day, there are a good many who couldn't be forced into running a West Bend! It's like asking an old Chevy guy to switch to a (ugh) Ford! I used to buck the trend in the olden days by running my Plymouths when all my pals had Chevrolets or Fords. Guys can be very loyal to their favorite brand. I'm hoping that there enough Macs still lurking out there so that both camps will be able to run their favorite engine. It took me some soul-searching to have Mr. Engine Master build this old Mac guy my first West Bend!
Your original question was whether anyone had run a modern engine on a vintage kart. I'm very sure they have. Also, even in the days of 1964 or so, there were Parillas and BM engines advertised in the magazines. Also, there were a number of Saetta V-11's and V-12's, and the Garelli engines were to be had. I remember an Italian fellow who ran an Xterminator with twin Italian engines. I can't remember if they were Garellis or the other brand that looked like the Garelli. Memory fades when you are 75! Ted
(09-10-2020, 02:06 PM)ted johnson Wrote: But there are a LOT of us who wouldn't run a Yamaha if it were given to us for free. Count me in that bunch. I'd as soon run a four cycle. Ted

I understand Ted,I was just sayin.
Hey, Tom, I'm just having fun! Yammies are great. I'm just one of the weird guys who like fan cooled American two cycles. I love to be the guy who outruns the "accepted" engines with the ones people say "can't be made to run". Ask the guys around here about my lowly 610. Ted