Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug!
The Palmini juice brake was abandoned in 1961 by Bug for good reason. It's a mess to get parts for, and it's "grabby" on stopping. If you cannot locate the Trophy mechanical disc, either a Hurst/Airheart 150 or the Wilwood I mentioned before are best. Don't mess with the Palmini! The disc and hub were supplied by Trophy, which was really Bug. A simple plate with two holes, welded to the frame, or am aluminum adapter bolted to the left bearing hanger will hold the master cylinder. These plates were made by Reed, Gem, and a couple others back in the early days. They have holes for master cylinder and caliper. I have CAD DXF files on my computer to have either one water jet cut. I broke my computer splitter a couple days back, and as soon as I get the computer guy over here after Christmas, I can send you a DXF of either the GEM or Reed adapter plate. No charge. The kart is either a 1962 or 1963. The 1/2" steering shaft MAY point to late '62. The karting associations mandated the 5/8" shaft along in that time frame. I'm pretty sure the front pan was aluminum and maybe the seat pan was steel. I don't remember. The LRB did not have pans in the sissy rails. You might add short pans to help keep the sissy pads from pushing through the gap. Just get a 36" flexpruf Azusa axle, or get Don Axe to make you one. The 36" O.A.L. axle will do fine. Putting keyed inserts in front wheels is a hard job. If they aren't welded, they will work loosen. Vince Hughes sells steel inserts, but they are for welding into steel wheels only. Ted

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - by ted johnson - 12-24-2019, 10:13 AM