Vintage Karting Forum
Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - Printable Version

+- Vintage Karting Forum (https://www.vintagekartforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main forums (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! (/showthread.php?tid=2748)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - Stuart Thomas - 12-22-2019

.jpeg   received_1260892537450478.jpeg (Size: 42.41 KB / Downloads: 118)

.jpeg   received_694584684282320.jpeg (Size: 60.64 KB / Downloads: 91)

.jpeg   received_551266645435081.jpeg (Size: 68.01 KB / Downloads: 77)

.jpeg   received_2811898638903979.jpeg (Size: 113.74 KB / Downloads: 72)

Hello, a few weeks ago I saved a frame from a scrap pile and after doing some research I think I've correctly identified it as a Little Red Bug. All I have is the frame, steering shaft and a gas tank. The rest of the parts are long gone unfortunately. I believe it was built around the same time as the Bug Lighting, they share many similarities from what i can see in the ads. If anyone can provide some information on this kart it would be greatly appreciated. Also, a list of correct parts needed with names would be helpful and if anyone has any parts I could use I would love to talk! It seems to be a rare or little known kart as I can't find much information on it but if it's worth restoring I'm definitely up for the challenge. Thanks in advance!

RE: Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - ted johnson - 12-23-2019

You are unljkely to find any dedicated Red Bug parts. Any Bug steering spindles from '63 will work. The 1962 Wasp spindles will work, or any Bug products spindles from '62 or '63. Some LRB karts had Hands aluminum wheels, some had Hands magnesium. The aluminum front wheels with the steel inner half are to be found on eBay at different times, and maybe on the forum. The kart had four inch rear wheels, and you'll have a heck of a time finding them. MAYBE, just maybe you can find Go Power 4" mag wheels. There are a few sets around. I use the 4" GP mag wheels all around on my Hike. Go Power wheels were the most popular update back then. A steering wheel may be found from one of the forum members. I don't think you can get anything from the K&P guys these days. Speedway Motors has some nice looking 12" wheels. http://www.SpeedwayMotors.com   It'll be tough finding the Trophy mechanical disc brake, but there are a few around. If it were me, I'd switch to the Wilwood hydraulic kart caliper 120-5750 for the .188 thick disc. Any 7-1/8" diameter disc like the MCP 712 along with their hub will work fine. You'd have to weld on a master cylinder bracket. easy. The Wilwood looks vintage, and is a terrific kart brake.
https://www.wilwood.com/calipers/CaliperList?subname=Kart I use the MCP small master cylinder, part No. 875EP. http://www.mcpbrake.com/ The tie rods are 3/8" steel rod with 3/8" female threaded tie rod ends. Try McMaster Carr for the rod ends. You'll just have to advertise on this forum and on the www.rearenginekarts.com forum for a Bug swing mount. I never owned a LRB, but I sold a few of them back in the day out of my West Melbourne, FL shop. You'll most likely have to cut your own floor pan. The '61 through '63 Bug Batwing pedals will work. Some were painted some were chromed and dipped in vinyl. You're on your own for upholstery and the Naugahyde Nassau panel. The Bug "gear" vinyl sticker for the floor pan often comes up for sale on eBay. Good hunting. Get in touch with Al "Torque" Klusman in Missouri. He knows a lot about Bug products. If you email me from the member list, I will give you Al's email, Etc. TJ

RE: Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - Terry Bentley - 12-24-2019

I think most of the components from Azusa may or can be made to work on that frame. I would even go with their wheels, even tho not original Bug parts. Would at least get that kart back together. Otherwise you are going to spend a lot of time hoping to find the exact originals.

I have also seen those style pedals somewhere more recent. Just cant put my finger on it.

RE: Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - ted johnson - 12-24-2019

You could probably get the Azusa spindles to work, even though the steering arm were made of a crappy steel that bends very easily. The Az. wheels sure wouldn't look right on a kart that should have 4" wheels. One of the "trademarks" of a LRB. Steering wheel isn't a big deal, nor is a good brake. But those Azusa wheels on a LRB, UGH! TJ

RE: Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - Stuart Thomas - 12-24-2019

Thanks for the info! I do plan to find as many original parts as i can but I understand some parts may require a compromise. For wheels I found a set of NOS Hands from a local source but they aren't Spiders and the rears are 5 inch I believe. I figure these would make a decent match. I found the bat wing pedals but they are part of a buy out including a complete kart, 3 or 4 frames and a lot of parts I have no use for. I have attempted to contact the guy but I think he plans to sell everything as a package deal so the search continues for now. The floor pan is not an issue although I would like to find an example of how exactly it was formed and if it was a 2 piece or 1. I assume the whole thing was steel...? An option I would like to explore for the brake is the old Palmini caliper. I know a guy who might have one or two and I know they were used on the early bugs. I need to find the correct axle length and I don't know if the brake and sprocket hubs are bug specific or if they used off the shelf items.

Regarding the frame, is there a way to determine the year? I noticed the steering shaft has a sleeve just above the locking collar that I've never seen before; I was wondering if that and maybe the shaft diameter might be build date specific? I also need to know what a good color match would be. The only red color I've seen on a bug was a darker blood red but I don't know enough about this make to say if that was the correct color.

Last question regarding the wheels. My guy with the hands set has a second set of 4 inch front wheels. Is it possible to have those modified to be mounted on a live axle? I could have a set of collars machined and installed in place of the bearing races. Just a thought.

Thanks again!!!

RE: Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - ted johnson - 12-24-2019

The Palmini juice brake was abandoned in 1961 by Bug for good reason. It's a mess to get parts for, and it's "grabby" on stopping. If you cannot locate the Trophy mechanical disc, either a Hurst/Airheart 150 or the Wilwood I mentioned before are best. Don't mess with the Palmini! The disc and hub were supplied by Trophy, which was really Bug. A simple plate with two holes, welded to the frame, or am aluminum adapter bolted to the left bearing hanger will hold the master cylinder. These plates were made by Reed, Gem, and a couple others back in the early days. They have holes for master cylinder and caliper. I have CAD DXF files on my computer to have either one water jet cut. I broke my computer splitter a couple days back, and as soon as I get the computer guy over here after Christmas, I can send you a DXF of either the GEM or Reed adapter plate. No charge. The kart is either a 1962 or 1963. The 1/2" steering shaft MAY point to late '62. The karting associations mandated the 5/8" shaft along in that time frame. I'm pretty sure the front pan was aluminum and maybe the seat pan was steel. I don't remember. The LRB did not have pans in the sissy rails. You might add short pans to help keep the sissy pads from pushing through the gap. Just get a 36" flexpruf Azusa axle, or get Don Axe to make you one. The 36" O.A.L. axle will do fine. Putting keyed inserts in front wheels is a hard job. If they aren't welded, they will work loosen. Vince Hughes sells steel inserts, but they are for welding into steel wheels only. Ted

RE: Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - Stuart Thomas - 12-24-2019

How about the color? My first order of business is to sort out the frame and have it painted. If there is a closely matching powder i would prefer powder coating it.

Thanks again!

As I said. Email me and I will give you Al Klusman's phone and email. I won't put folks' info on the forum. I will bet he remembers more than I do about the LRB. You'd think it was red because of the name, but, with Bug you never know. Ted

BTW, you have to be VERY watchful, as these karts were quite prone to break the main rails behind the seatback tube. TJ

RE: Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - John Wolkiewicz - 12-26-2019

Looks like you have a great project there, the guy you need to contact is mike Everin he is the bug man and will have a ton of info for you. I also think he just posted a bunch of bug stuff on the vka Facebook page, I will ask him today if I can share his number with you best of luck with the resto

RE: Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - Stuart Thomas - 12-28-2019

Small update! I've made contact with a few Bug kart experts, including Michael Everin and I have tracked down pretty much every part needed to make this an accurate historical example. Those 4 inch wheels may prove to be impossible to find but I will keep looking, even if it's one half at a time. One interesting tidbit Mike pointed out is that my frame has a round seat frame vs the standard squared design. Once this was brought to my attention, I haven't been able to find another like it. I'm sure this was a simple matter of Bug using up old stock from previous frame pipe stock but its still cool. I'll post pictures as parts start to come in.