Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug!
Thanks for the info! I do plan to find as many original parts as i can but I understand some parts may require a compromise. For wheels I found a set of NOS Hands from a local source but they aren't Spiders and the rears are 5 inch I believe. I figure these would make a decent match. I found the bat wing pedals but they are part of a buy out including a complete kart, 3 or 4 frames and a lot of parts I have no use for. I have attempted to contact the guy but I think he plans to sell everything as a package deal so the search continues for now. The floor pan is not an issue although I would like to find an example of how exactly it was formed and if it was a 2 piece or 1. I assume the whole thing was steel...? An option I would like to explore for the brake is the old Palmini caliper. I know a guy who might have one or two and I know they were used on the early bugs. I need to find the correct axle length and I don't know if the brake and sprocket hubs are bug specific or if they used off the shelf items.

Regarding the frame, is there a way to determine the year? I noticed the steering shaft has a sleeve just above the locking collar that I've never seen before; I was wondering if that and maybe the shaft diameter might be build date specific? I also need to know what a good color match would be. The only red color I've seen on a bug was a darker blood red but I don't know enough about this make to say if that was the correct color.

Last question regarding the wheels. My guy with the hands set has a second set of 4 inch front wheels. Is it possible to have those modified to be mounted on a live axle? I could have a set of collars machined and installed in place of the bearing races. Just a thought.

Thanks again!!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for some guidance and parts for a Little Red Bug! - by Stuart Thomas - 12-24-2019, 09:42 AM