Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
operation fix mc10
Dave,

Truly, I hope it all comes together for you, both the engine and the ability to run it. Best of luck!
Kurt - I've seen Daves mc10 run on numerous occasions and it was fast for sure, hopefully he can get it right again. Just think if he had stroked it on the initial build.
Dave - hope you can make Avon, we haven't seen you in awhile!!
Dave, so what IS the displacement on your "tiny" Mc10? Which crank is in there? There's something about the '10 port layout that allows them to really scream, whether they have the original or the factory stroker crank. I outran many, many 30's and 40's with my 5.8" Mc10, including my own modified '40. Of course, it had the same porting as Horstman did on the factory Go Kart team engines. There's something appealing about the appearance of the '10. Jack Canady has what I believe he told me is a '92 with Mc10 flywheel and shrouds. Lots of conversion work, but what a tidy little piece. TJ
(07-13-2018, 11:20 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Dave, so what IS the displacement on your "tiny" Mc10? Which crank is in there? There's something about the '10 port layout that allows them to really scream, whether they have the original or the factory stroker crank. I outran many, many 30's and 40's with my 5.8" Mc10, including my own modified '40. Of course, it had the same porting as Horstman did on the factory Go Kart team engines. There's something appealing about the appearance of the '10. Jack Canady has what I believe he told me is a '92 with Mc10 flywheel and shrouds. Lots of conversion work, but what a tidy little piece. TJ

STOCK 1.5 STROKE.
Blame Scott k he built it as the 1.5 and sent the nos strocker crank back. 
i forget why that was years ago
it was fast enough with the stock stroke.

i originally built the motor just to try out nine porting mcculloch.
i read alot of articles and bugged alot of people.
it just happened to be a fast one when it was done.

it does have a huge bore but i never thought about displacement.
i'll measure the piston and post it's size and estimate the displacement later this week.
d Cool
Dave L.
had a few minutes today so i measured the piston.
it's 2.20 which is .075 oversize from a standard 2.125 mc10 piston.
when you do a displacement calc you end up with 2.20 bore w/1.50 stroke = 5.702 displacement.
the mc20 has a displacement of 5.799 or basically a 5.8 displacement.

so naysayers to how legal my mc10 isn't illegal at all.
it turns out my my mc10 is not the same as a mc101 or even a mc91 actually it displaces a tiny bit less than a mc20.

sadly the bigger problem will be to find a piston that'll work. 
i may have to move to another block as finding a new piston may take a while.
d Cool
Dave L.
Try this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MCCULLO....TRS0.TSS0

Auction # 222378716830

Thick rings better than NO rings!
If you put a thin Dremel cutoff wheel in the high speed drill press, lay the thick ring on the drill press table and adjust the table height so you cut a groove right around the middle of the face of the ring, leaving two "rails". You reduce the wall drag by a BUNCH. The groove also retains oil. You just get the table at eye level and rotate the ring gently against the cutoff wheel by hand. I have prepared PP AH82 rings this way for Hank Rotroff. He calls them "Johnson rings". They have run very well for Hank in the past. Ted
i do have a 2.20 saw piston already.
that and the ring mod is plan b
first i'll make a few calls and see what i can find.
d Cool
Dave L.
Dave, if you doo "The groove thang", the rings don't even get hot enough to worry about. Just don't groove the end of your finger! ted