Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PVL coil advice (820 Power Bee)
(06-21-2018, 01:41 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Kurt, I saw that article this morning. The nice thing about Bill M's article was that he had several photos there. His article was for McCullochs, but it still applies to the Benders. TJ
Guys, I just this minute got off the phone with Bill McCornack. He sells a module, screws, complete hookup instructions and all that's needed to mount the module on the fan shroud for your Macs. The price is $29.00. He is moving very soon to Southern Wisconsin, so his email may change, but the cell number will still be good:

Bill McCornack
Ignition modules
Cell: 1-630 400-2645
bill.mccornack@comcast.net 

Ted
The original Bill McCornack article with photos is in the March '13 VKA First Turn magazine. Kurt Bogerman found it. TJ
Well that will work with the old coil points setup where you eliminate the points but it will not work with the new style block and new style inner cover because it cannot accept the old coil mounting. With that style of points replacement Ted is referring to you have to have an actual coil not the transistorized type like a PVL.
I can't claim to know anything about West Bend engines, though I hope to someday change that!

For the enrichment of readers with McCulloch engines, older WBs, or even for those who are just curious, here's the newsletter containing the article Ted mentioned:

Attached Files
.pdf   VKA Newsletter 13MarFINAL1.pdf (Size: 2.28 MB / Downloads: 28)
(06-21-2018, 07:35 AM)ted johnson Wrote: I'm with Steve. Back in days of yore, there were a couple trigger setups used. I was running foreign open at the time, and didn't pay attention. I wish I had. I've yet to have a PVL fail, but it's an expensive failure! We need a simple "no-machining" solution, documented and videoed so all the guys can do it easily. C'mon, electronics wizards!
Kevin, I bought a 10" long .012 feeler gauge about 40 years ago. It's still in the toolbox. Anything between .010 and .015 is O.K. for coil lamination-to-flywheel-magnet gap, but I like the .012 as it gives a little margin of safety.
BTW, here's a short vid on timing the electronic ignition West Bend with a degree wheel and light. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGI9Za3t25I  Also, Bill McCornack once wrote a concise article for one of the vintage association's magazines, showing exactly how to install a module on a Mac. I saw it on Google, but can't find it now. If anyone has a link to this article, it might be nice to show the newer crowd how to hook the unit up. I don't know how well the Mega Fire unit works, but I'm sure some of our crowd can chime in. Ted

I tried 2 of those from Bill several years ago, both failed within 3 minutes. Even had them remote mounted away from the Mac. Bill made good on both of them. Maybe there is a difference in the mfg of these. Some better than others. Anybody know?
Yeah we have been using ones off e bay that are small alum ones with 2 spades for hook up. They seem to do very well. You can get them from $12.00 to $20.00. They are the same units just a different price. the ones I have gotten are Kawasaki replacements. If I was more computer savy I'd post something like a pic etc. At some point I'm going to cut into that bad PVL and find the transistor and figure out how to run a wire off that to an outside trigger so I don't have to buy another one of these. Just a coil with the transistor wire inside and potted so we can't see it.