Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Key and axle
I use the plated I get from Fastenal. It's almost always a tight fit on the axle. Especially if it's a plated axle. I use a 4 1/2" angle head and a flap disc and reduse the size where it goes in the axle. Takes 15 sec. Then I spray it with alum paint to keep it from rusting. Be sure to step your keys down so they fit in under the bearing collar and don't use short keys. Step under the bearing and go all the way out to the step in the axle.
(04-18-2018, 07:56 PM)steve welte Wrote: I use the plated I get from Fastenal. It's almost always a tight fit on the axle. Especially if it's a plated axle. I use a 4 1/2" angle head and a flap disc and reduse the size where it goes in the axle. Takes 15 sec. Then I spray it with alum paint to keep it from rusting.  Be sure to step your keys down so they fit in under the bearing collar and don't use short keys. Step under the bearing and go all the way out to the step in the axle.

I like that trick with the aluminum paint, also Ted's deal beveling the bottom of the key some to help get it back out.       Lately I've been orienting the step in the key under one of the set screws in the bearing collar and locktite just that
   one screw in. Seems to cut down on set screws scarring up the axle when they loosen up letting the bearing collar 
   spin.