Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Key and axle
HI everyone I have another question. I got a new 1foot by 1/4 inch key, and it seems like it sits high in the key way on the axle. Do I have to file it down so the sprocket hub and wheel hub slides on or just try to force it on. Also are you better using one long key or two separate keys on hub and sprocket? hope to see everyone at fremont
(04-17-2018, 06:19 PM)Mel Ruffner Wrote: HI everyone I have another question. I got a new 1foot  by 1/4 inch key, and it seems like it sits high in the key way on the axle. Do I have to file it down so the sprocket hub and wheel hub slides on or just try to force it on. Also are you better using one long key or  two separate keys on hub and sprocket?  hope to see everyone at fremont

I like to use one key for both, and notch one end so it slides in under axle bearing part way. That way bearing, sprocket and hub all retain the key and help keep the axle from sliding side to side. Check your new key with a straightedge to be sure it's flat. Also no burrs in axle keyway. You want your wheel and hub sprocket to run true when tightened down. If you have to force anything on there, somethings not right.
A lot of new keys are slightly oversize. The key MUST seat completely to the bottom of the keyslot, and shouldn't take more than a light tap with a small hammer to seat it. It must also be able to be pushed into the keyway in the sprocket hub or wheel. Sand or file the key gently until it fits well. I actually had my buddy make a 1X2X4" LG oak block with a 1/8" deep slot down it's length. The slot's just wide enough so I can force a 1/4" square key into the slot. This makes a holder so that I can hold the key gently against the belt sander to take off a thousandth or two for fit. Darn thing really works! No more sanded or heated fingertips. BTW, Al's idea of one long key with a notch to slip the tip under the bearing race is a good one. If you run the same key through both wheel and brake disc or sprocket hub, the notch isn't needed for that one. I also grind a tiny bevel at the underside of the tip of the key so I can tap a small screwdriver under the tip and pry the key out of the slot. Ted
THanks Al and Ted for your help. yea the key needs to be smaller I purchased it at a tractor supply ,say 1/4 square zinc plated key stock made in Taiwan, maybe they measure different. I guess I better bring out the file
Mel, All the plated ones I have ever tried are oversized. Non plated ones from a kart supply like Comet are the right size.
i am getting ready to the same is the Tru value / Ace hardware key stock stuff
safe to use or is it better to use higher strength metal stock Confused 

Richard
Richard Stamile
Oceanside NY.
(04-18-2018, 08:56 AM)Richard Stamile Wrote: i am getting ready to the same is the Tru value / Ace hardware key stock stuff

Richard

There's a selection in my box of leftovers. Plated, not plated old, new. Sometimes you need a variety to get the right fit due to varying tolerances or worn keyways in hubs, sprockets, axles etc. It pays to hand fit that stuff up front so you don't have to battle with it later. Richard, I just use the hardware store stuff, unless I am ordering parts from the kart shop and just get some key stock also. Hope this helps.
(04-18-2018, 09:12 AM)Al Hasenfratz Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 08:56 AM)Richard Stamile Wrote: i am getting ready to the same is the Tru value / Ace hardware key stock stuff

Richard

There's a selection in my box of leftovers. Plated, not plated old, new. Sometimes you need a variety to get the right fit due to varying tolerances or worn keyways in hubs, sprockets, axles etc. It pays to hand fit that stuff up front so you don't have to battle with it later. Richard, I just use the hardware store stuff, unless I am ordering parts from the kart shop and just get some key stock also. Hope this helps.

Thanks Al will use the Taiwan metal stuff then makes it easy to hand fit
Richard Stamile
Oceanside NY.
Some keys are 1/4 by 3/16, by the way.

Would take quite a bit of grinding to make a 1/4 by 1/4 fit a 1/4 by 3/16 application...........
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Mac-Master Carr sells keys that are slightly undersized. The part number is; 98510A136

Dick Teal