Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fox Mak Kart
For reference......

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
(04-18-2018, 12:57 PM)Dick Teal Wrote: The kart was found in a garage attic in Janesville, WI, the home of Fox. The guy who purchased it had it repainted and Bonbright rebuilt the engines. 

It's a 1959 with the fixes that were required to keep the frame from breaking just behind the pizza pie shaped seat sides. They were designed to run on oval tracks but will drive OK if you set the toe-in to 1/16 inch and get the tire pressure right.

Have fun,

Dick Teal

Thank you Mr. Teal for the info. Did the guy who purchased the kart change the color to the blue it wears? All the examples I can find on web and print are McCulloch yellow. 

Could you elaborate more on what was done to strengthen frame by seat sides?

I did check toe before our Tucson track days and set it to 1/16. We also did try different tire pressures. What pressures would you recommend? It got around the track pretty well. It sure is a different driving sensation sitting that far forward. It was even more exciting driving when the drum brake linkage failed and I kept taking laps with no brakes. I was having to much fun to stop!

Dean

(04-18-2018, 03:43 PM)Jim Waltz Wrote: For reference......

Thank you Jim!
The kart was dark blue from the factory and it stayed the same when he repainted it. The Mac-Kart was designed for the Mac 10 engine and sold to McCulloch distributors. That's why you see yellow literature and a few that have been restored are yellow. Fox sold the kart in many colors to different companies and their own dealers. I've restored three; two were yellod and the third one is a light blue.

Look at the welded in piece between the pizza pie shaped seat sides and the seat hoop. It was added to keep the frame from breaking. The frame rails are simple water pipe. The factory changed to 4130 chrome molly tube in the 1961 models.

Tire pressure depends on total weight, tire age and compound, driving style, etc. With this type of kart you will want the rear tires hard and the front tires soft to help it turn into the turns.

Dick Teal
(04-19-2018, 08:38 AM)Dick Teal Wrote: The kart was dark blue from the factory and it stayed the same when he repainted it. The Mac-Kart was designed for the Mac 10 engine and sold to McCulloch distributors. That's why you see yellow literature and a few that have been restored are yellow. Fox sold the kart in many colors to different companies and their own dealers. I've restored three; two were yellod and the third one is a light blue.

Look at the welded in piece between the pizza pie shaped seat sides and the seat hoop. It was added to keep the frame from breaking. The frame rails are simple water pipe. The factory changed to 4130 chrome molly tube in the 1961 models.

Tire pressure depends on total weight, tire age and compound, driving style, etc. With this type of kart you will want the rear tires hard and the front tires soft to help it turn into the turns.

Dick Teal

Thank You Mr. Teal for answering my many questions! I still may have more questions?  Great information you have shared for myself and all other forum members. Nice to remind Ted and Jim what they already know. Big Grin
Dean, Ted is always ready to read and learn! I remember a lot, but there are tons of things I never saw back in the "day". Dick is a fount of knowledge when it comes to Fox karts. That's what's great about the forum. There's always someone who had first-hand knowledge on just about any kart subject.
P.S., Dean. Wait'll you see the blue Photon kart cover Brian Thomas and Dottie made! I'm waiting for this wind to go away so I can get a couple pix of the cover and post them. Ted