Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1968 B open clutch and exhaust
(04-03-2018, 05:14 PM)steve welte Wrote: Shawn it depends on what your doing with the kart also. If your trying to make it period correct to show then you will want to fine the period correct parts which could include the correct pipes for that year. If you plan on running it in todays B class then it's box mufflers and dry clutch.

Steve,
  I would like to keep the kart as period correct as possible, and if i knew exactly how Roy ran it in 68, that is what i would shoot for, but, it seems unlikely that i will know that for sure.

This is a picture Romero sent me from late 68. probably what i will shoot for, although the thought of four carbs is a little scary to me.

tom, this is pretty much the set up your picture is showing, thanks for the photo.
Yes Tom, That is Dwain Leiber and the kart he won B Open with in 1970. He shows up at events near Ohio, I was lucky to wander around when he showed off his lancer.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve,
btw, it is definitely being setup to run, No fun in pushing it to the kart show and back to the trail. haha
Stock 91s so not super fast but still a handful for me.
Shawn....

I recently set a Hornet up with dual 92s, dry clutches, can mufflers and single carbs,,,,( 34 Mikunis) super easy to tune,,easy to maintain tune,,plenty of HP and just a freaking ball to drive....

it will be a Fremont a many VKA events this year

gw
(04-03-2018, 09:32 PM)Shawn moore Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 05:14 PM)steve welte Wrote: Shawn it depends on what your doing with the kart also. If your trying to make it period correct to show then you will want to fine the period correct parts which could include the correct pipes for that year. If you plan on running it in todays B class then it's box mufflers and dry clutch.

Steve,
  I would like to keep the kart as period correct as possible, and if i knew exactly how Roy ran it in 68, that is what i would shoot for, but, it seems unlikely that i will know that for sure.

This is a picture Romero sent me from late 68. probably what i will shoot for, although the thought of four carbs is a little scary to me.

tom, this is pretty much the set up your picture is showing, thanks for the photo.

(04-03-2018, 09:02 AM)Shawn moore Wrote: Romero,
thanks for all the info here and what you sent me via email. Great talking to you last night.

Hello Shawn,
Just my 2 cents, I think you would be very happy with box mufflers and dry clutches, maybe 30 plus HP with both engines, easy well maybe MUCH easier to tune and maintain then a set of engines with pipes and oil clutches.  You can always step up but you need to start out at a level where you will not get discouraged.  Just look at the Welte's I don't think anyone has more fun then them, and their karts sound and look cool.
Good Luck
Mike Berg
Shawn. We held a nice event at Tucson in November, and Bill Rowan and Tom Wilms came with rear engine karts, mostly with 101's. They were running single HL368 alky carbs, and going like a bat outa Hell. V-12 manifolds with a top carb plate that Bill Rowan makes from a single HR top plate. They ran and ran some more, and never fiddled with carb needles. I was so impressed that I had Bill set me up a 368 alky carb, top manifold plate for my V-12 and a neat fabricated rock guard. It'll feed my very quick Bonbright modified West Bend 610. The 610 is at least as thirsty as any '91. Here's a pic of Tom Wilm's Dart with dual 101's. If you don't think it's a serious dual, you haven't seen it run! Of course, the fact that Tom's a fabulous driver doesn't hurt! Ted

Just FYI  the VKA Bopen class calls for dry clutches and box mufflers.
Thank you everyone for your help and replies, both here and PM.
I think I have a plan that falls somewhere between correct and usable for me.
  I will put some pictures in project section when complete.