Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GEM side mount and clutch config
Hi Rick,
I would try this before anything else... it's free.

With any inboard clutch on a Mac, not a millimeter is wasted, so you know that the clutch sprocket will be right up against the shoulder of the crank.  Shift the axle sprocket over to be in line with that.

Then, mock up the forward path of the chain by laying a long section of 1/4" square stock up against the shoulder of the crank and bridge it over to the axle sprocket.  It won't exactly replicate where the chain will be, but it will tell you if it even has a chance of working.

Then, move the square stock over to mock up the rear path of the chain and check again.

I'm thinking that it won't even be close, i.e., this mount won't work with an inboard clutch.

Also, remember that today's Space Chain is wider than standard (garbage) #35 chain, so if clearance was marginal "back in the day," it'll be worse now.

Let us know what you find!
Doug
No! It wont work with an in board clutch. In most cases even wit a Hegar mount in the standard slotted holes in the rocker mounts it is still a clos fit for the sprocket hub combination to get the sprocket close enough to the mount to line the chain up with the inboard clutch.
This is how close the sprocket is to ghe beating on the swing mount using an inboard clutch.

(03-24-2018, 05:37 PM)Tony Severino Wrote: No! It wont work with an in board clutch. In most cases even wit a Hegar mount in the standard slotted holes in the rocker mounts it is still a clos fit for the sprocket hub combination to get the sprocket close enough to the mount to line the chain up with the inboard clutch.
This is how close the sprocket is to the bearing on the swing mount using an inboard clutch.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wow, Tony! Pretty close. I see you had to turn the bearing collar-inward to clear the sprocket hub. TJ
Ted, that is correct.
Well, Tony, the less axle overhang, the less flex! Ted
That is why i just put Scott Klinglers new Hegar mount on a 1/2" piece of alum so I could offset the entire mount to the right to use an inboard. Then the entire assembly is bolted to the swing mount. I think Don Axe may now be making some offset baseplates to fix this problem.