Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GEM side mount and clutch config
I've got a GEM 2-piece side engine mount to bolt up my MC49 on my GK800. I'm wondering about the clutch. Does an inboard clutch work with the side mount? The studs that bolt the upper to lower parts of the side mount stick out a fair bit and look like they are pretty close to the path of the chain, if inboard. Maybe not. I don't have a clutch at present to fit it up, and just wonder if it will work or not. Thanks. -Rick
Rick,

You probably need to post some pictures.
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
     I snapped a pic today. Sorry my description was lacking. I'm just wondering if an inboard clutch would work with this type of mount. It looks like the ears on the side of the mount around the clutch would interfere with the chain. I don't have a clutch at this point and just want to make sure I get the right one. Thanks.
I may not have the answer about if an inboard will work, but I use a similar GEM side mount and I use an outboard clutch from Max Torque. Contact Jim Donovan and explain your set up, weight motor and he can suggest an application.

Romero
inboard can be used but you'll need to change a few things.
get the bottom bolts reversed so the heads not the nuts are on the chain side.
replace the hex bolts with low profile ones or get button heads for that.
completely lose the washers you have behind the engine bolts they are raising the head profile of your attaching bolts.
also be sure to safety wire any bolts in there they have a nasty habit of backing out and wrecking you track day otherwise.
d Cool
Dave L.
just an FYI,,,in my past experience.. you will destroy the mount if you do not use a heavy washer......personally I have never liked those mounts,,,,,not as rigid as they should be..they come loose..on top and the bottom, ..used em for about 3 months,,then went to plan B...
i hadn't considered that they would be damaged by the bare bolt.
so i looked at the one i used briefly and found i'd countersunk a thin washer into it .
i too don't really love those mounts but they do look cool.
for a kart with limited track time and a lightly to unmodified motor you should be fine using one.
but they will loosen up on a regular basis.

one fix for them is to have a steel backing plate fabricated for them.
not as sexy as the pretty cast aluminum but way more effective and durable in the long run.
D Cool
Dave L.
Thanks guys. I got a mount off ebay along with a handful of other broken stuff, so I can see exactly how they are kinda fragile. I'll be using safety wire everywhere. I buy my 1/16 drill bits by the box full. I had a feeling it MIGHT work with an inboard clutch, with some tweaking, but it looked awfully close. Glad to know so now I can get a clutch. -Rick
I do not like the idea of replacing the chain adjustment studs/nuts with bolts. Sooner or later the threads in the aluminum base mount will fail. As far as the side mount itself goes, I never use the aluminum side plate/chain guard. I make my side plate of 1/4" steel and either weld a steel chain guard on, or drill/tap and bolt on an aluminum chain guard. Remember also that replacing the engine mount-to-side plate screws with flat head (countersunk) screws-the flat head screws are not as strong. Maybe just replace the bottom two. If you would like to make a steel side plate, I can CAD model one, and you can get your local water jet shop to cut it for you. Alternately, I can send the great water jet shop in Albuquerque, Waterjet Cutting, Inc., a DXF and they'll cut one and ship it to you. You can make arrangements directly with Cheryl at Waterjet to pay them. You can then either mount an aluminum chain guard or weld on a steel one yourself. The steel side mount is both stronger and thinner than the cast aluminum one. PM me if you want to go this way. Ted
correct me if I'm wrong,,but these mounts came out long before inboard clutches?????.....

but Ted is correct,, steel is the deal.....heavier,,,but much better,,,still like hegar mounts way better,,stuffer mount

gw