Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nicholson Speedway, May 4th & 5th
anyone around to post first day comments??
long day at work today would love to hear about the guys ripping up the track!! Big Grin
Dave L.
Dave,

Today was my first VKA event, and it was a lot of fun. I was able to get a bunch of track time, practicing with other rear engine karts. I just got my MC 90 running last weekend, for the first time since about 1993, so I was super pleased that it ran reliably all day. Since I'm a rookie, with a non-"historic" engine, dry clutch, and box muffler, it'll be interesting to see where they put me tomorrow. I just don't want to put a damper on anyone else's fun! All in all, though, today was great, and everyone I interacted with was polite, helpful, and enthusiastic. Looking forward to doing it again tomorrow!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-04-2018, 09:38 PM)Kurt Bogerman Wrote: Dave,

Today was my first VKA event, and it was a lot of fun. I was able to get a bunch of track time, practicing with other rear engine karts.  I just got my MC 90 running last weekend, for the first time since about 1993, so I was super pleased that it ran reliably all day.  Since I'm a rookie, with  a non-"historic" engine,  dry clutch, and box muffler, it'll be interesting to see where they put me tomorrow.  I just don't want to put a damper on anyone else's fun!  All in all, though, today was great, and everyone I interacted with was polite, helpful, and enthusiastic.  Looking forward to doing it again tomorrow!

Kurt ...you should be in Sportsman Rear.....   have fun

gw
(05-04-2018, 09:38 PM)Kurt Bogerman Wrote: Dave,

Today was my first VKA event, and it was a lot of fun. I was able to get a bunch of track time, practicing with other rear engine karts.  I just got my MC 90 running last weekend, for the first time since about 1993, so I was super pleased that it ran reliably all day.  Since I'm a rookie, with  a non-"historic" engine,  dry clutch, and box muffler, it'll be interesting to see where they put me tomorrow.  I just don't want to put a damper on anyone else's fun!  All in all, though, today was great, and everyone I interacted with was polite, helpful, and enthusiastic.  Looking forward to doing it again tomorrow!

Kurt here is my number I have a few great shots of your kart 5163822117 John
(05-05-2018, 07:14 AM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote: Kurt Bogerman

gw

Unfortunately, historically at the N.E. Events, participation in the Sportsmen Class has been very low. Last year we only had two at Sandy Hook and maybe one at one of the other three events.
(05-06-2018, 09:45 AM)Al Post 97 Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 07:14 AM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote: Kurt Bogerman

gw

Unfortunately, historically at the N.E. Events, participation in the Sportsmen Class has been very low. Last year we only had two at Sandy Hook and maybe one at one of the other three events.
A lot more Sportsman Rears at Barnesville this year compared to last. Maybe the additional eligible Mac engines will increase participation.
Al p., 
judging from the pix , for a first year event it looks like very well attended.
 WELL DONE.  Smile

did you have a kart show?
GOT MORE PIX?
ARE event demo results available??
Brian and i have talked and we decided (brian decided!) that as long as pix and other stuff is posted event results are also welcome to be posted on the forum.
and yes that is a definite flip flop for dave l.!!!!

it's true the sportsman class on east coast has always been pretty spotty.
typically the sportsman guys who are new fit in well into the historic class which is a strong class in the Upper East Coast .
i'm sure you guys found somewhere for everyone to run their karts.

Being assured of a place to run at an Event is something i'd like to point out to newbes and people who haven't gone to a vintage karting event.

Everyone that shows up with a   legal  vintage kart is  found a place to run no matter what else happens.
that is typical of any vintage kart event that's been run in the United States. 

that doesn't mean bringing a unsafe sort of used to be a kart piece of  junk is o.k. 
a well built , vintage legal kart that is properly safety wired will always be allowed.
 if you pay attention and comply with the rules posted by the promoter for the event you will get track time.

As a couple of the new guys just found out the Vintage Karting events aren't only about the formal class grids on "race day".
there's tons of practice time too and most of the drivers aren't too concerned about winning at any/all costs.
those that are we tend to discourage , vintage karting events are about fun not cut throat competition.
 it's about going somewhere to hang with people who love their karts as much as you do , running your karts on a decent track and maybe getting a trophy for building a really pretty kart!

really , imho the main reason to attend is it's alot of fun
D Cool
Dave L.
First off everyone had a great time at the event and no one got hurt. The people that ran the track were wonderful and really took care of us so no issues and we just ran our karts. The first turn off the straight was a decreasing radius that everyone had to get used to but seems they learned fast. Very technical track that had many playing with gear sets trying to find what would work.

Unfortunately the last day got rained out right after the first heat but still a great day was had by everyone I talked to.
I had a really, really good time at Nicholson this weekend. My comments sent to Joe Weissner this afternoon reflect that, and I'd like to also thank by name Sal Palatucci, Skip Owen, Eric Krobath, Paul Hunter, John Wolkiewicz, Al Postiglione and Rick Keller ... So many folks made themselves available to help me out at my first VKA event. I know there's more of you! Also, Tom Kelly in Illinois was able to help me out, in the nick of time, with some advice and custom made engine mount hardware, without which I may not have even attended the show. So if you found a problem with me at Nicholson, blame him?! Before Nicholson, I had already intended to make a valiant effort to hit all four NE Series events, but now my resolve is galvanized!

Understand this, though… My only closed course experience before this past weekend had been a couple times recently at a local Autobahn Speedway electric indoor track. I raced a twelve year old and his parents last week: I won, and it was fair and square. In addition to simply getting track time with my own kart this weekend, one of my personal concerns was to not be a nuisance, and, especially, not a danger to others. I didn't want my inexperience to undermine anyone else's fun. I believe that both objectives were, more or less, met. I know for sure that I had A LOT OF FUN.

HOWEVER.... That doesn't mean that I shouldn't have been more proactive in my classification. In hindsight, I don't think that my machine nor my experience level were appropriate for 6.1 Rear, which is where I ended up. I have a 1964 or 65 Rupp Grand Prix (Experts weigh in: It had the 4” front wheels and deluxe upholstery together when I bought it in 1990) with a completely stock 1966 MC 90 factory 9-port engine and a Margay gearbox. I currently run the correct Mac small flat back carb, with gasoline, a dry MaxTorque clutch, and a Horstman flask muffler. If had Michael Schumacher's driving experience I could maybe have driven my “rear” off and made it work, but without the wet clutch, the tuned pipe, the carb, the fuel, nor the expertise, I was almost unable to catch up for the start(!) and, if I recall correctly, I was getting lapped coming out of the last corner of my 6-lap heat as those guys were gunning for the checkered flag! No one complained to me, but I could understand if they were frustrated. Without a Sportsman's class I think my kart may have been a better fit in Historic, but… That's history.

As I see it, I have three options to consider before Avon:

(1) I can lobby to be put in "Historic" for which my engine is too new, and faster by design than some in that class, though most of the older Mac engines have probably been modified to match or exceed the specs of mine. Its already a mismatched class, but some drivers in that class may object based on the age of my kart equipment. I, too, need to be honest here: I like to go fast and corner hard.

(2) Using the forums, I can try to drum up sufficient participation from other karters to sign up for and bring equipment compatible with the "Sportsman's" class which is exactly where, I have been advised, my kart and I belong.

(3) I can upgrade my clutch, carb and exhaust and make the kart faster before my skills have improved. Warning: All I have to do is bolt them on! (And tune them, I know) But, this is not an idle threat! ?

I think #1 is the easiest, but least optimal. As much as I like the idea of the modifications, I think I'll try to drum up some support for a Sportsman's class.

Maybe some folks sitting back in Historic would like to race in a Sportsman class with me?

John W.?

Anyone else feeling it?

Can I get some "Amens!" in the congregation?

And... Yes, there was a show. I was truly honored to receive the award for Best Restored Rear Engine Kart. In fact, on Friday I was pitted between Paul & Ginny Hunter and Eric Krobath. We formed a little club there with Ginny getting Best Restored Historic and Eric getting Best Unrestored Rear Engine. Mine is the metallic red #23. Many VKA members have participated in its restoration through your advice and/or parts sales, whether you knew it or not. Thanks for being cool people.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kurt-

There is usually a good turnout of sportsman rear karts at Avon. I have one - a '67 A-Bone with a MC 90 - and there will be others. At this point I'm planning on running practice on Friday, but sit out Saturday's "demonstrations" to help the club with running things. If there is a shortage of karts in that class I might reconsider, but in years past there has been plenty of sportsman rears to run the class.