Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nicholson Speedway, May 4th & 5th

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi al,
great post one i think should be at every vintage kart event!!
the importance of safety cannot be over rated ever.

so for any newbes what these two rules mean
1.  a helmet that is rated snell 2010 .
snell 2010 is simply a helmet that was made AFTER 2010 but it MUST have a snell 2010 sticker on it.
there are also 2015 helmets available.
since these helmets lose their ratings at about ten years the 2010's will be cheaper but almost out of date to be legal.
for guys who try to be tricky and just adding a sticker to any helmet there is also an inner tag saying the snell rating.
at most tracks they check the inner tag for the rating .
an important thought is many helmets are designed for car situations. you do not want a car helmet unless it is also capable of withstanding significant ground contact.
tell who ever you are buying helmet from what you'll be using it for at the track.

2. clutch guard refers to having some sort of cage surrounding your clutch in case it comes free of the motor.
the most common one is a third bearing style which also provides support for the crankshaft. there are several other ways of accomplishing this same idea.

d Cool
Dave L.
Thanks Dave......
Safety will be our #1 concern at every event all season long.

-------------------------

So what do you say? Will you be making it out to "Event 1" at Nicholson Speedway?

Come on out and have some fun with us!
-Al
(03-21-2018, 09:47 AM)David Luciani Wrote: Hi al,
great post one i think should be at every vintage kart event!!
the importance of safety cannot be over rated ever.

so for any newbes what these two rules mean
1.  a helmet that is rated snell 2010 .
snell 2010 is simply a helmet that was made AFTER 2010 but it MUST have a snell 2010 sticker on it.
there are also 2015 helmets available.
since these helmets lose their ratings at about ten years the 2010's will be cheaper but almost out of date to be legal.
for guys who try to be tricky and just adding a sticker to any helmet there is also an inner tag saying the snell rating.
at most tracks they check the inner tag for the rating .
an important thought is many helmets are designed for car situations. you do not want a car helmet unless it is also capable of withstanding significant ground contact.
tell who ever you are buying helmet from what you'll be using it for at the track....

I don't want to hijack this thread, but based on Dave's comments above, I'd appreciate the opportunity to quickly inquire further about helmet certifications, please...

I have two BELL helmets in front of me. The first one is dated 3/2011 with a "SNELL M2010 APPROVED DOT" label. I assume, then, that this helmet is VKA approved, good through 2021, per current rules?

The other helmet is dated 8/17. In addition to a DOT label, a separate label says only "SNELL APPROVED". In other words, the sticker does not specify which SNELL certification it has been awarded. However, the label inside the helmet, under the liner, does indeed specify the M2015 SNELL approval.

So, based on that, the exterior sticker may not actually be the last word on the issue, and inspection of the interior label may be necessary? Or does the production date imply compliance with the most current applicable standard?

I really intend these as serious points of discussion. I wouldn't want to be dq'd from participation due to a technicality.

--Kurt

Kurt, I have two helmets similar to yours. The older M2010 has the year of approval designation on the outside along with the sticker and date on the inside. The M2015, the newer helmet, only has "Snell Approved" on the outside and the M2015 Sticker on the inside.
Both Helmets are legal to use........
no al can't make early events this year.
that may extend to summer events depending on whether i find enough extra work outside my union calls.
have to pay off credit card or else!!
and then with typical female logic i was also ordered to take her on vacation early this spring .
any guy knows vacations cost money and credit cards are paid off with money.
doing both is seriously stretching the little excess money i have after bills.
but keeping the sweetie hapy is good for my general welfare.

on the helmets , it isn't and shouldn't be about being dis-qaulified to compete if anyone is thinking that at all.
it is about safety and track liability.
if you show up with out the proper safety gear you shouldn't be allowed on the track.
PERIOD.

i know at the East Coast Events everyone will do their best to help fill out any gaps in safety equipment on a loaner basis for the weekend.
but rather than stress because you found out are un-prepared at the event it is far better to ask now if your gear is up to par.

ASK ABOUT anything to do with safety gear and safety wiring of your kart.
if you have tech questions to ask there are zero ones we'd consider stupid SO ASK.

safety is hard enough without adding to it by allowing bad gear to be run.
enough said.
D Cool
Dave L.
Definitely has nothing to do with wanting to disqualify anyone. The whole reason I'm reminding everyone about these requirements is to give everyone plenty of time to get ready for them. No surprises here. 
Also, if we happen to miss getting the word out to anyone we are currently working on having a couple handy as a loner or for purchase.

Like I had stated earlier SAFETY will be our #1 concern all season long. 
When it comes to safety we will be holding to the highest standards available.

The goal is for everyone to come out, have some fun, shoot the breeze, show a little, race a little, but most of all to go home exactly as everyone came, in one piece.

Attached is the "2018 Series Helmet Sticker" we will be using, starting at Nicholson for inspected Helmets. Before going out onto the track every helmet must be sporting one of these!

.pdf   NE_Series Tech.pdf (Size: 829.04 KB / Downloads: 4)
Guys, I appreciate your responses to my concern.

Surely, I understand that the point is safety, not disqualification, but the fact remains that there is a consequence for non-compliance, which I'd like to avoid. Often, too, decisions come down to matters of discretion. Since I have exactly zero organized racing experience, I've been asking questions trying to figure out what to expect. Everyone has been very helpful!
One Last Reminder.......

It's not too late...... 
If you start packing now you can still make it out to Event 1 of the N.E. Series.

Nicholson Speedway, Chestertown MD

Hope to see everyone there!

-Al