Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Helmet
I consider myself very lucky that in the last 20 consecutive years of racing modern karts at Blue Max in Davis, CA, I have never been on my head.

I've been on two wheels a few times due to contact with another kart, but was luckily able to get it back down right-side up every time. One of those events was going wheel to wheel with Les Hand (Joey Hand's father).

Fingers crossed that that luck will continue unabated.......
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Good timing on this thread! Been shopping for a new lid myself. Don't like the idea of getting upside down, doesn't appeal to me at all. Especially since it isn't balls out racing. You are right Tom, how much is your head worth?
Jimmy says that in 20 years at Blue Max, he's never been on his head. I confess that I'm truly surprised. That would've explained SOOO much.... Rolleyes  Ted
One thing I found out about Bell's is they run a little smaller than my HJC. XL Bell was too tight to get my glasses in so I had to get 2XL.
(01-05-2018, 08:14 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Jimmy says that in 20 years at Blue Max, he's never been on his head. I confess that I'm truly surprised. That would've explained SOOO much.... Rolleyes  Ted
Actually, inexplicability is my middle name.....
Guys, take a look at this eBay listing and tell me what's wrong with it if anything. Bell Vortex Full Face Helmets, Nice color choices, SNELL 2015, $99.95, Free Shipping.
Item # 191941874837

Am I missing something?
Dan, I looked at the listing and clicked the "more info" link.  The price is tough to beat but there are definitely caveats.

But first, they say that "fit" is the most critical thing with helmets.  That's why I buy mine from a local motorcycle shop (unless it's a repeat purchase of the same model).

Anyway, here's some of the E-Bay seller's semi-fine print.

CLOSEOUT

$99.95 Gloss Black, Matte Black & Grinder Graphics
$119.95 Flying Tiger
$143.45 All other colors 

DOT Approved, SNELL M2015.  Please note: Most of the Vortex models has transitioned from M2010 to M2015. If you need M2015, please contact us or note in the checkout notes.

Thirty years ago Bell was "the" big name, at least in my mind.  Then I recall they went out of business, and like every other big American brand that has taken the dirt nap, the name re-emerged... with no resemblance to the old company.

That said, yeah, I bought a THH (Chinese) helmet for dirt biking several years ago, and it's held up well, no complaints.

But for karting I've gotten hooked on Shoei's "Quest" (from Japan).

To gain a bit more confidence, you can follow this link to see who SNELL says has passed their test:
http://www.smf.org/cert
Sure enough, the Bell Vortex full-face is listed under M2015.
I don't see a problem with the ad. This would appear to be the new price leader in Snell 2015 helmets.
Snell M spec isn't as demanding as the SA specs. The M rated helmets have a wide field of view for road use, and this MIGHT cause an issue with some karting rulemakers. SA rated helmets are better for racing, according to Snell, though the wording is ambiguous. The Vortex is M rated. TJ
Teddy,

As far as I know, ANY Snell-rated helmet satisfies the vintage karting rulemakers.

Truth is, karting is more like motorcycling than auto racing in many respects.

No one yet has taken issue with my M-rated helmets.

Snell is Snell is Snell as far as I can see.