Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverse Rotation
Jim's saying to put the engine on the other mount, carb forward, and shorten the throttle. Only workable (and elegant) solution I've seen yet. TJ
Steve-- I don't understand why anything would be dragging on the ground. Looking at the picture on the start of this section by Billy Hoke all I am suggesting is he mounts the engine that is on the left hand side of the kart to the right hand side by turning it 180 degrees. Now the crankshaft is sticking out on the right hand side just like a McCulloch and it will be rotating in the correct direction to move him forward. Or I am missing something in the original question on how do you reverse the rotation based on the assumption as set up right now he is going in reverse if he were to leave the engine where it is.
Thanks Ted, I am glad someone understood what I was trying to say. I try and go simple solutions, reinventing the wheel is not my style. If you cannot fix it with a larger hammer than it isn't worth fixing in the first place. I own 8 different hammer sizes up to the sledge hammer and the last thing I have is a torch which is when all the hammers fail.
Torchammer !
.sorry you guys ., I didnt mean actually dragging on ground ...its an exaggeration of how motor would have to be ..

I must be missing something... I have a motor on my bench right now .. it runs same ways as billys ..it don't matter what way I roll it carb forward carb rear upside down backwards the only way it will run a kart is if its mounted up to run sprocket off center of axle ..or make motor run the other way ..or mount it above tire sticking out with crankshaft over drive sprocket ..

can someone make a drawing prove me wrong...so I can understand.. cuz im missing something

(10-12-2017, 10:48 AM)Jim Donovan Wrote: pretty sure no [possible way to run a mcculloch on same side as billy,s set up unless you make an adaptor like I did to run clutch off flywheel ..or move sprocket to center of axle ..

Steve-- I don't understand why anything would be dragging on the ground.  Looking at the picture on the start of this  section by Billy Hoke all I am suggesting is he mounts the engine that is on the left hand side of the kart to the right hand side by turning it 180 degrees.  Now the crankshaft is sticking out on the right hand side just like a McCulloch and it will be rotating in the correct direction to move him forward.    Or I am missing something in the original question on how do you reverse the rotation  based on the assumption as set up right now he is going in reverse if he were to leave the engine where it is.

(10-12-2017, 08:49 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Jim's saying to put the engine on the other mount, carb forward, and shorten the throttle. Only workable (and elegant) solution I've seen yet. TJ

be super simple if it wernt dead axle kart ..
not trying to make anyone mad ...
but heres some food for thoughts ..so why did they ever make right and left side drive motors to start with .. ?? ..pretty sure either need make motor run other way or move sprocket to inboard towards center .. ???..and you cant on dead axle kart ..correct .??
Steve - last time for the explanation without pictures. Take the wheel that is on the side of the kart with the engine and paint an arrow with "white out" on it in the direction it is turning when you push the kart forward which would make the arrow going counter clockwise on that wheel. Now take that wheel off and put it on the opposite side of the kart with the arrow facing out so you can still see the arrow. Hopefully you will now see the arrow is now going in the opposite direction it was on the left hand side of the kart when you push the kart forward.

It doesn't make any difference if it is a stub axle, we are talking about rotation of the tire where the sprocket is attached. You almost had me fooled when you mentioned the stub axle but both wheels have motor mount plates next to them and yes at one time I am sure there was a engine on it that was turning clockwise rotation and one counter clockwise but the question was how would he reverse the engine he has right now that is turning clockwise and the simple answer was switch it to the other side. I am sure Billy just did this to see how many Einsteins visit this site and it looks like the states that start with a vowel win out.
All we need do is to look at a photo of the recoil side of that engine. If, as it SORTA looks from Billy's photo,, the engine rotates CLOCKWISE at the PTO end of the crank, then, what Jim and I have said is true. Unbolt it, put it on the right side mount, rotate it so the clutch sprocket lines up with the wheel sprocket, bolt it down, reconnect the chain and ride the kart. On a rig with this power, who would care on which side of the kart the engine resides? TJ
hope billy sets it on other side turns it around upside down backwards forwards whatever other way and then reports back ..

im not trying to argue.... I just cant see it ...outta 70 plus dead axle karts I aint never been able switch motors like ur saying ..if I new how ..it sure woulda saved me hours and hours making motors run the other way ..
..ok so of what you folks are saying is true ..show me a DEAD axle kart twin mculloch,s ..!!!
pretty sure nobody can make mcculloch run backwards... and more sure the only way to do it is like I did machine an adaptor run clutch off flywheel ..