Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classic Motorsports Article
Guys,
Classic Motorsports Just did a 5 page vintage kart article in the September issue. It has a red 2002 BMW on the cover. They got it mostly right, all know stuff. I figure it can only help, but it should be interesting to see what the sports car crowd thinks karts are worth. I'm selling the 1959 Kurtis Kart for $25,000. LOL
Brian
Scan article please.....
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
I took ok photos of the article in this thread one or two pages back. I think the title was - are rich guys going to invade to sport ?

https://www.vintagekartforum.com/showthr...p?tid=1673
" Selling the 1959 Kurtis Kart for $25,000."

Brian that's the way it goes.....that's still minimum wage with all the hours involved in finding, searching, fabricating,
research, fact finding.....etc.

I welcome the rich to invest, I'm sure Jack M. in SoCal would like to sell a few or all of his collection to break even !!!

Besides most of the hard core vintage guys are now just hoarding old items......we all realize to race a runner, it needs to be fresh tube......but for the many having an original is where the heart is........!

Someday the only affordable item will be a Vintage Kart Tee Shirt.....Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here's the article in a single PDF.....

NOTE:  This is the article revised to include the previously missing page 73.

Attached Files
.pdf   CLASSIC MOTORSPORTS - KARTING - PRINT - REVISED.pdf (Size: 2.11 MB / Downloads: 2)
Jim or Romero.....seems one of the pages is missing ( Pg. 73 ?) .....?

I wonder if the author of this piece , Bill Holland is the same fellow who was the editor of the NHRA Publication,
National Dragster ?

Back in time "Dragster" published many of my pictures and stories from Irwindale, Orange County and Ontario Motor Speedway ....how time flies .

Of course it was Wally Parks that published Hot Rod ...the Robert Petersen flagship Magazine.....that formed the Drag Racing organization to get street racers off the streets and on to racing at safe tracks .

Early Kart Racing exploded onto the scene at the same time, the only media that fueled motorsports was the car magazines, newspapers might report accidents and maybe results of big show events like the Indy 500, but if not for car mags.......who would have known what was happening across  America at the grass roots of motorsports ?

Just today I found a copy of the April issue of Motor Trend that had Duffy on the front cover.....for what I paid for it now,
I could have had a two year subscription to the magazine, glad that I was even able to purchase a bit of karting history.

Moral of the story here is if no one writes or tells these stories then the era is lost.

Losing the old "Kart Forum" was a big loss for Vintage Karting, all those years of posting Vintage gatherings, how to's,
and the tall tales ......is just a huge loss, thank goodness we have the old magazines in our collections , but they too are crumbling and fading away......I hope some new blood does take an interest in this hobby .

Pic of dragster/ caption :
This Shot Was Taken At The Santa Claus Lane Parade On Hollywood Blvd. In 1969, With Car Co Owner Bill Holland  on the  Far Right.

And one more pic/caption of editors at National Dragster I use to deal with Big Grin

Five National DRAGSTER editors got together for a family photo. Back row, from left: George Phillips (1982-85), Phil Burgess (1986-present), and Bill Holland (1969-74); front row, Jim Edmunds (1974-1982) and Dick Wells (1960, 1961-63).

7 pictures posted on the Forum.

7 pages in the PDF.

I guess we need another photo.....................

I couldn't agree more that losing the old forum was a minor disaster.

I know I had posted a ton of stuff.

O'Hara probably posted at least ten tons. only a small portion of which I captured for my own files.

What a shame.

I'm trying to get folks to post their collections and/or projects, but for the moment my stuff is the bulk of the content there.

Ciao, y'all !
(08-29-2017, 06:44 PM)Jim Waltz Wrote: Here's the article in a single PDF.....

Sorry everyone... the long lost page 73.

(08-31-2017, 03:49 PM)Romero Llamas Wrote:
(08-29-2017, 06:44 PM)Jim Waltz Wrote: Here's the article in a single PDF.....

Sorry everyone... the long lost page 73.

Note that I updated the PDF in my earlier post to include this missing page.......