Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my mc5 still won,t start
Steve your right ,the carb has a lot of movement on the studs,and Don,t know if I have it so pulse hole is blocked. Tomorrow I will try to center the carb on studs and hope it solves my problem.Thanks for your offer and will let yo know.
No matter what bring it to Fremont ..I pit right across from terry and family ..they are awesome folks ..we have a great time .. looking forward to meeting you ..
take you air gun shoot about5-10lbs air in the fuel inlet where fuel line hooks into carb ..make sure and pop the needle off seat a couple times ..
P.S. I hate them 20.00 clone carbs ...But ....I have seen some that work good ..maybe you get whatca pay for ...Lol..
Still can,t get it running . Tried making sure pulse hole is lined up, made sure no fuel line leaks, double checked timing.maybe I need to check compression. Is there a easy way? Could a stuck ring cause no fuel to carb?
since ur trying to recoil start it squirt gas mix in carb when it fires put ur hand over carb keep it running till it pumps gas ..or keep squirting tiny bits fuel in it keep it running ..if your not spinning it with electric its tuff till you get them tuned proper ..

if it fires off string on prime I doubt rings are stuck ..
Tillotson HL Series Service Manual

Mel, 

Above is the service manual link for the Tilly HL Series carburetor. I don't know if that's the model you have a clone of or even if it would apply to the clone of the HL. Nonetheless, it should provide you with a better understanding of how that type of carb works and will hopefully help you troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing. You'll find much of the advise and tips the fine gentlemen here to be also covered in the manual. 

You may want to actually take your carburetor apart to ensure your diaphragm, internal components like the inlet needle, seat, spring and lever along with the gaskets are in good condition and set accordingly. If the diaphragm is damaged or installed improperly it will not pump fuel into the carburetor. Also, try make sure the atmospheric vent hole isn't clogged and that your fuel tank cap has a vent hole or that the tank itself is vented and that it isn't clogged either. Like I said, I'm not sure if it's the exact service manual for your application but hopefully it will provide enough information to go along with all the great advice you received in this thread to get it running. Good luck...
If it runs for a few seconds, your timing is probably fine.
Whenever I have one that does that, I put a new gasket kit in the carb.
I get them for about $4, so it is a cheap solution.
In your case, I would consider a different manifold and carb altogether.
That manifold is overkill for an MC-5 and the carb is certainly questionable.
Didn't Steve send a flatback to you?
If you haven't got it running by TBO, we'll put a simple manifold on it with a Go Power reed assembly.
No matter what, you need to be there.
Thanks Terry for the info and yes I,am going for sure on sat. I hate to bother any one but looking forward to introducing myself. Take care. Mel
..it will bother me more..... if ya don't get the damn thing running ....Lol...
ill bring couple carbs and kits ....plus always some good ones in swap meet ....id have to bet between us all..... somebody will make it run ...
If you need a hand just find me as well. I am always willing to give a hand. I carry a ton of parts for the Tillotson carbs and plenty of carbs as well.