Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my mc5 still won,t start
post pic of intake with carb off ... you stated west bend reeds .. ?? might be an after market intake and reed cage gasket blocking pulse hole ..
(08-09-2017, 08:45 PM)Mel Ruffner Wrote: Dave I do have a long air bubble so maybe air leak. I,am using recoil starter  if that makes a difference. Man you guys know so much,I feel like a real rookie. Thankyou

mel,
don't you worry every one of us was a rookie at one time.
and there are times where i make rookies look smart.

anyway air bubbles are bad.
check hose connection at gas tank it should be firmly wired used two loops so the wire will draw tight.
check carb gaskets for being dry. typically i'll soak gaskets in wd40 to swell them for tight seal.
any fuel like fluid will work the idea is to swell the carb. gaskets.
those clone carbs are pretty well machined so i doubt the plates are warped but check them for flatness anyway. get piece of glass tape sandpaper to it 320 good test grit. apply dycum blue ink to plates or use a sharpie black felt marker on the flat side of plates. hold plate flat on sand paper give a few light swirls and look at flat side. if all is well there won't be any gouges or deep scratches. the ink should be evenly worn. of not you have an issue let me know if my directions are understandable and post results.
Dave L.
I know this sounds stupid but check to see if both needles on the side of the carb are open. I have had a clone carb come to me with the low speed needle shut.
My offer still stands.
Bring it to TBO even if it isn't running.
I have carbs, gaskets, engines.
You don't want to miss the event just because an engine doesn't run! Smile
Mel, you should feel like a rookie.

The wealth of knowledge and experience here on the Forum is truly amazing.
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
mel, definitely go to tbo regardless bring kart.
if they can't get you going it'll br be something a new guy wouldn't find anyway.
like an oddball broken part at least you'll find out what's broke.
besides i know terry and he will do what he says and lend you a motor.
besides that , tbo has a great swap meet worth going for all by itself.
Cool
Dave L.
here is a few pics of my carb and reed cage which i think is a westbend

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-10-2017, 04:29 PM)Mel Ruffner Wrote: here is a few pics of my carb and reed cage which i think is a westbend

pulse hole is blocked for sure if the gaskets were as installed.

flip the gasket between the reed block and manifold it's backwards.

those two little cut outs are supposed to let the pulse hole breath.
right now looks as if the cut outs are on left and pulse hole is on right.
 with them on wrong side pulse to reed block is cut off.
Cool
Save
Dave L.
the gasket i'm referring to is the first pix left side middle row.
take it off flip so the cuts are one the right as oriented by your pix.
ny lame pix might help explain visually

Dave L.
may be an other part of problem is ..on the clone carbs the mounting holes are like 5/16ths so on a 1/4 stud they can ,move and possibly block pulse hole or leave it open so it sucks air ..

pm me ur address ill send you a small flat back ..they work every time .. I will also be at Fremont ..im no engine god or super tuner but all my stuff runs and I put more laps in at events I get to go to than anyone i know ..

took me all day sunday.... i cleaned about 17 carbs ...some new fuel line... couple spark plugs ...but I got a ride outta all 25 of em ...