Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help identify kart
(05-17-2017, 08:14 PM)David Luciani Wrote: Aeron, as i know yoiu and saw your name in your email i ok'd your membership.
offer a couple of hundred but if it comes with engine it is worth more. worst he can do is reject offer. send me a p.m. and i'll fix your name in next week or so.
Cool

Hi David, 

I saw your comment. Needed the practice and made the name change to: Aaron Friedl

Scott
(05-18-2017, 05:58 PM)Scott Elkes Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 08:14 PM)David Luciani Wrote: Aeron, as i know yoiu and saw your name in your email i ok'd your membership.
offer a couple of hundred but if it comes with engine it is worth more. worst he can do is reject offer. send me a p.m. and i'll fix your name in next week or so.
Cool

Hi David, 

I saw your comment. Needed the practice and made the name change to: Aaron Friedl

Scott

Thank you
What type of engines are these? Looks to be a 2 stroke since no place for oil fill. It has a hortsman wet cutch but one of the spring screw cam loose and rattled around inside the clutch. It looks like I may be able to fix the clutch. I'm thinking this is an emmick kart but haven't nailed the exact model yet. I did by the kart yesterday so I am going to look for numbers or anything else to help and id the kart. The tank says black widow on it.
I am sticking with a Coyote Bullet. The Horstman DXL clutch is either a 4 or 6 spring with 3 discs. They may still be producing the parts if you need anything. Up until 1991 they were the clutch to use. Then the EXPW came out with its fair share of problems, and later the Steel Nitro with most the bugs fixed.

The BM Atlas is similar to the newer Komet K-11 comparing internals. The Atlas did have a connecting that was 98mm compered to the 96m rod in Komet. Performance wise basically identical.

The Bullet chassis is bad about breaking around the the right side where steering crossmenber meets main frame in that bend. Check to see if any extra curricular welding has been done there. Sometimes the crack would make a full spiral around main frame.
(05-20-2017, 02:01 PM)Terry Bentley Wrote: I am sticking with a Coyote Bullet. The Horstman DXL clutch is either a 4 or 6 spring with 3 discs. They may still be producing the parts if you need anything. Up until 1991 they were the clutch to use. Then the EXPW came out with its fair share of problems, and later the Steel Nitro with most the bugs fixed.

The BM Atlas is similar to the newer Komet K-11 comparing internals. The Atlas did have a connecting that was 98mm compered to the 96m rod in Komet. Performance wise basically identical.

The Bullet chassis is bad about breaking around the the right side where steering crossmenber meets main frame in that bend. Check to see if any extra curricular welding has been done there. Sometimes the crack would make a full spiral around main frame.

Thanks terry for reply. I do see what you mean by looking very similar to coyote bullet but there is a couple thing on the frame that I see is different but some the same. Mine has 2 poisons or pivot points to place gas brake petals. I inspected the frame and haven't found any cracks, breaks or rewelds. Is the nothing much engine a 2 stroke? Also there is a upper case M in the stitching on back of seat.
Atlas was a very good 100cc reed engine. Solid and reliable. I owned a very early serial number engine, and it was modified by the guys at Appco. It is still in use, and even has stock bore. It won its share of 100cc open races back in the late seventies/early eighties. Ted
(05-16-2017, 08:21 PM)Aaron Friedl Wrote: Can anyone id this kart

Aaron,

Yes, your engine is a two stroke. Were you able to determine if the diameter of your axle was 1" or 1.25"? Also, did you look to see if your steering spindles had any name stamped into them or if the right front spindle hanger had any numbers stamped into it? Now that you have the kart, maybe you can post a photo of the rear of the kart as you are facing it?? 

The pedals, steering wheel and seat cover suggest Margay, but honestly, many karts had pedals like that and the steering wheel is an Azusa wheel which fits and came on many karts too. The seat cover could easily have been added to a non Margay kart. More photos facing the rear and the front would help you get it identified. I don't think it's an Emmick, only their Arrow model karts used steering shaft mounts like those on yours, but the rest of it doesn't match up.

For now, I'm going with Terry's assessment, he was dead on right helping me identify a wheel hub a short while ago and offered additional information that I later confirmed to also be accurate. In your case, he has seemingly done the same. He offered the type of kart he thought it was, and also where and exactly how the frame was prone to break. One of the photos you sent me seems to show this; I could be wrong, but I'll post the photo and maybe see what he says.

Also, the Black Widow fuel tank came from a K&P Mfg. Bug kart. Your kart has the more traditional steering spindle set up, whereas, Bug and Emmick karts from that era had reversed spindles on them for the most part...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The axle is 1-1/2". I will check out area you circled when I go back down to shop. I use haven't found a photo that exactly matches the frame yet but yes I see some very close resemblance to the coyote bullet online. It als came with an nos exhaust just like the one on the kart plus a shorter one. Also found evidence it was possibly repanted by the brake caliper. I will look for number and take more photos later.
The 1.25" axle diameter puts it into the early to mid 80s and newer category....
[Image: 8FB34BDE-809C-4814-AE73-35B111B80ABE_zpsoi1povkl.jpg]
Rear photo

(05-20-2017, 03:27 PM)Vince Rosanelli Wrote: The 1.5" axle diameter puts it into the mid to late 80s and newer category....

Sorry,
I meant 1-1/4" axle

[Image: 5F76D311-A9C3-497B-B6BA-078E4AEDBCD0_zpsnh9caz4w.jpg]