Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We be progressin'
Ted, that's an interesting attachment you have for the back seat support.  Can you post another pic or 2  of it, a little closer.  I've not seen one like that before.  Looks like you are making fine progress.  I can't wait to see the finished product.  Especially with you in it!
Sterling, it's just a common bumper mount pipe bracket from Comet kart Sales https://cometkartsales.com/Exhaust-Pipe-...nd-Clamps/  I will add the "L" bracket Joel is machining on top (see attached PDF), two rubber washers and two beveled countersunk aluminum seat washers and two M8 flat socket head screws through the seat into the "L" bracket will complete the brace. Just a little reinforcement for a seat that's a bit less beefy than I like. Ted
I know what the pipe mount is.  I was refering to what looks like a heim joint connected to the seat?

Reply:  Interesting design.
Yes, they ARE Heim joints. Pruit and I decided that using these screwed into threaded tubing weld bungs would make it a lot easier to align the tops of the struts to the seat, and when the chassis or seat flexes, there'll be less stress on a fiberglass seat that's less "meaty" than I really like. I also bought the seat saver kits from Comet to spread the stresses where the struts attach. As soon as Joel Christians makes the big aluminum "L" brackets, the attachment will be done. I only hope it'll hold up! Ted
Nice looking kart. Not to be a stick in the mud, but I'm not liking the idea of the third seat mount. Just look at the alignment of it to your spine. I have no solution off hand but maybe someone else will.
Duke, since it's removable, I'm not too concerned. If I could've gotten a NOS original Cheetah seat, I wouldn't have even thought about extra bracing. I only began considering after powder coat. I'm not going to ruin the powder job with more welding!
Thanks for the compliment on the appearance. The more I look at it, the more the darn thing looks like a Bucket Bug from the seat forward! Dodgy TJ
(04-08-2017, 02:55 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Thanks, Jimmy. I get tired faster nowadays than before, but I feel better today than I thought I would. Got the Comet Kart Sales Seat Saver kit mounted to reinforce the seat where the struts attach, and I see the Velcro stripping came in  few minutes ago to help the upholstery tuck under the edge curl of the seat. I sorta laid off to watch the Xfinity race.
You oughts just TRY to drive that Van Tech with a full round steering wheel! That goes as well for the Swoopster Bandit. People must've been a lot skinnier in ye olden days... Wink  Ted

Ted's reproduction VanTech (twin Mc-7s). I mis-identified the VanTech as a NikeKart. Ted and I were discussing his NikeKart he had at the 2013 REARs' TBO! just prior rolling the VanTech up to the grid. My understanding the VanTech is now owned by Charlie (the pilot), Ted is starting the kart. Notice that Charlie has a full circle steering wheel.

VIDEO short...
https://vimeo.com/90114944
Ted,
It looks great and I really like the color!

Brad
Thank you, Brad. I've yet to see it in the sun.
Scott, I wish Charlie would get the Van Tech out and run it! It was surprising how well the stock Mc7's push the kart. Of course, Charlie was much slimmer than I back then. I've lost some weight since then! TJ
Looking good Ted!