Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We be progressin'
Chemo yesterday, assembling the Photon today. A long way to go, still awaiting parts. Can't afford the wheels yet, and need the rear axle. I have to send the new 610 to Dave Bonbright for some tweaks. Still, progress is being made. The seat is in the spare room, and the upholstery by Sonny in Mesa looks waaay nicer than ordinary Cheetah upholstery. It ought to be comfortable, and it'll be light for a West Bend powered kart. The legroom is almost as good as a sidewinder considering the under 31" wheelbase. Ted
(04-07-2017, 03:37 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Chemo yesterday, assembling the Photon today. A long way to go, still awaiting parts. Can't afford the wheels yet, and need the rear axle. I have to send the new 610 to Dave Bonbright for some tweaks. Still, progress is being made. The seat is in the spare room, and the upholstery by Sonny in Mesa looks waaay nicer than ordinary Cheetah upholstery. It ought to be comfortable, and it'll be light for a West Bend powered kart. The legroom is almost as good as a sidewinder considering the under 31" wheelbase. Ted

very nice. is the cheetah uphostry something that would fit standard cheetah seats?
if so did he make a pattern and about how much??
what wheel are you planning on using?
Cool
Dave L.
Hey, Dave. I was planning to use Will Rogers' CT Alloy repops. Lightest wheel you can easily find. I had them on the Van Tech and liked them.
The seat is the late Carl Weakley's Cheetah seat repop, so the upholstery ought to fit fine. Sonny is in Mesa, AZ. He upholsters seats for Dean and Joe Kanocz classic and custom cars. He did my seat and Pruit Ginsberg's as well. Don't know if he saved the pattern. These two ran Pruit and I $275, but I imagine he did them as a favor to Dean. I sketched the shape of the padding stitching by hand, and he matched it nicely. The hard thing is to get a drawstring upholstery to fit under the seat lip well. I am going to add some 1/2" wide Velcro under the lip on the seat sides. The seats are natural glass color, but Dean urethaned them in black. I will bolt the seat down this weekend to see if the welding on the struts still fit. My back was starting to hurt from bending down today. Ted
Ted's Van Tech and an original VT Kart with CT Alloys for reference .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looking very nice Ted! Keep up the good work.
My thanks to Dean for the nice black paintjob on the two Cheetah seats. I'm fitting mine right now. It's simply a matter of screwing the Heim joints on the struts in or out until the holes line up. Steering shaft just went in a few minutes ago. No rush! Ted
(04-08-2017, 11:47 AM)ted johnson Wrote: My thanks to Dean for the nice black paintjob on the two Cheetah seats. I'm fitting mine right now. It's simply a matter of screwing the Heim joints on the struts in or out until the holes line up. Steering shaft just went in a few minutes ago. No rush! Ted

No rush.......  That sounds like my mantra alright!

Good looking kart Teddy.

And good to see you working away on it.

That was a mighty funny looking steering wheel on that Van Tech kart.......
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Thanks, Jimmy. I get tired faster nowadays than before, but I feel better today than I thought I would. Got the Comet Kart Sales Seat Saver kit mounted to reinforce the seat where the struts attach, and I see the Velcro stripping came in  few minutes ago to help the upholstery tuck under the edge curl of the seat. I sorta laid off to watch the Xfinity race.
You oughts just TRY to drive that Van Tech with a full round steering wheel! That goes as well for the Swoopster Bandit. People must've been a lot skinnier in ye olden days... Wink  Ted
How to Tell When You Are an Older Car Buff

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/...-car-buff/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Seat firmly mounted. The muffler clamp on the seatback X member will have an "L" bracket to the seatback with two rubber washers for a bit of extra support. Ted