Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reviving a Historical Classic
David Luciani wrote:
then after i got them working the way i wanted i started with stupid crap like installing the carb backwards off the pulse hole.

https://youtu.be/WQy5K2KyfvI

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 
Oh boy!
TWO challenges for TBO - Clinton and MC-10

I might have a chance with Clintons, but it looks like almost anyone I would ask for Mac advice will be an adversary!
I guess I'll have to get some new files and polish my hammers.

t
carl, can't you make that run on a loop for about an hour or two? because i remember it taking him that long to get it running again.
(02-26-2017, 10:27 AM)chuck giacobbe Wrote: carl, can't you make that run on a loop for about an hour or two? because i remember it taking him that long to get it running again.

Yep,if you want to make it seem like you were there in person just click on the "settings" button to the right of the screen and move the "autoplay" button to "on"  Cool
(02-26-2017, 10:56 AM)carl haydt Wrote:
(02-26-2017, 10:27 AM)chuck giacobbe Wrote: carl, can't you make that run on a loop for about an hour or two? because i remember it taking him that long to get it running again.

Yep,if you want to make it seem like you were there in person just click on the "settings" button to the right of the screen and move the "autoplay" button to "on"  Cool

thats ok im sure we will see more of the same this year
what I get a kick outta .you cant see in vid.
.dave says its flooded ..the guy working gas pedal stands up points at fuel line says don't look like pumping gas ...lol...
Scott K.,

I think the Crescent carburetor (alky) was introduced in 1964, maybe 1965. When I started racing in 1963, the Mc-10 pretty much had left the scene.

Scott E.

(02-25-2017, 02:18 PM)ted johnson Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 01:41 PM)Scott Kneisel Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 11:45 AM)ted johnson Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 11:03 AM)y old 101Scott Kneisel Wrote: Terry,
A good engine man never tells!!!

I am not that good though so here goes:

Factory stroker crank
Mc40 rod

0.040" oversize thin ring pinned stroker piston
Exhaust ports squared, raised a little and eyebrowed
Intake wall worked on some
3 finger boost ports fed from the top
0.090" head gasket  0.023" crush up to a stock head.
Palmini P34 directional intake mani with Homelite 4 pedal reed  (my favorite manifold)
Go Power stuffer
Offset flywheel key which will provide 35 deg advance for Maverick

Pretty much a clone of what I built 3 years ago and ran at TBO. That engine had the same timing and was running on Gas with an HL 304E carb on an Mc45 manifold. No preignition and it was a screamer but I was running more crush. When Bob drove the kart he was faster than most of the 91's and 820's.

This year running Methanol and a little more compression it should be even better.

Chris M has the engine I ran from 3 years ago but with a Hartman carb. He should get that out and we can have an Mc10 dual!!
Scott, I have a shortie Palmini here. It has an almost invisible crack in it, but it has at one time been polished, and it ought to be loud and should be a great RPM header. I used to run these all the time on the stroker Mac 10's. If you want it; it's yours. I'll try to get this thing to allow me to attach a bad pic of it on my old 101. Ted
Thanks Ted, that is the same as the one that disappeared on me but mine was not polished. I would love it but insist on paying you for it, they are pretty rare. Send a PM and let me know what you would like for it and I can PayPal or send you a check.
Scott
Don't be silly, Scott. I'll never use it, and you've done things for me in the past, so you're more than welcome. I'll go out in the shop tomorrow and dig it out of the box. Thank goodness all my Mac stuff is in one place! You'll have to repolish it. My stamina isn't there anymore for standing in front of the wheel! Doc gave me the green light to run Tucson in March, and I'm beginning to get the n1ke cleaned up, so my back hurts! Ted
Ted, See my NikeKart post! Made a request for pictures if you have them of your NikeKart. If you bring your kart to the REARs TBO, I'll be sure to take a 3D image of the kart (or, any others in your pit box).

Scott E.
yep,
as I RECALL there was THREE EXPERTS Steve Miller ,Carl Haydt And me. we were all puzzled. steve got the idea to drop a capful of gas in it to get it to go. that worked sort of.
the video happened when carl sneakly stepped back and taped me and steve struggling!!!
kart ran KRAPPY and starved out at exactly the same place every lap.
nothing i tried tuned out that issue. when it starved i'd drop my elbow over the carb to get it more gas.
iwas talking to myself that whole day pulled the plate off the carb replaced al the gaskets fuel stuff and diaphram NOTHING WORKED!!!
then just before first real grid i thought that maybe i'd covered the pulse hole.
pulled the carb and realized THERE wasn't a SECOND pulse hole so flipping the carb had not only eliminated the pulse hole but also opened a tiny air leak.
was well into returning the carb back to useful position when a nut dropped onto the ground and disappeared.
by the time i dug out a new nut from my spares and installed there was two laps gone. still ran them down and tried to get back two laps but that wasn't gonna HAPPEN.
LIKE I SAID MECHANIC ERRORS GENERALLY LOSE MORE RACES FOR ME THAN ANYTHING ELSE!!!
Dang caps lock!!
Dave L.
hey we all been threw similar situations ..

I was gonna do full tune up on my 64 impala ss 300hp 327 and 4 spd ..

I yanked cap off new wires plugs whole deal new points rotor (witch I forgot to put in )then wondered why it wouldn't run ..Lol..

[attachment=688][attachment=689][attachment=690][attachment=688][attachment=689][attachment=690]
(02-25-2017, 02:18 PM)ted johnson Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 01:41 PM)Scott Kneisel Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 11:45 AM)ted johnson Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 11:03 AM)y old 101Scott Kneisel Wrote: Terry,
A good engine man never tells!!!

I am not that good though so here goes:

Factory stroker crank
Mc40 rod

0.040" oversize thin ring pinned stroker piston
Exhaust ports squared, raised a little and eyebrowed
Intake wall worked on some
3 finger boost ports fed from the top
0.090" head gasket  0.023" crush up to a stock head.
Palmini P34 directional intake mani with Homelite 4 pedal reed  (my favorite manifold)
Go Power stuffer
Offset flywheel key which will provide 35 deg advance for Maverick

Pretty much a clone of what I built 3 years ago and ran at TBO. That engine had the same timing and was running on Gas with an HL 304E carb on an Mc45 manifold. No preignition and it was a screamer but I was running more crush. When Bob drove the kart he was faster than most of the 91's and 820's.

This year running Methanol and a little more compression it should be even better.

Chris M has the engine I ran from 3 years ago but with a Hartman carb. He should get that out and we can have an Mc10 dual!!
Scott, I have a shortie Palmini here. It has an almost invisible crack in it, but it has at one time been polished, and it ought to be loud and should be a great RPM header. I used to run these all the time on the stroker Mac 10's. If you want it; it's yours. I'll try to get this thing to allow me to attach a bad pic of it on my old 101. Ted
Thanks Ted, that is the same as the one that disappeared on me but mine was not polished. I would love it but insist on paying you for it, they are pretty rare. Send a PM and let me know what you would like for it and I can PayPal or send you a check.
Scott
Don't be silly, Scott. I'll never use it, and you've done things for me in the past, so you're more than welcome. I'll go out in the shop tomorrow and dig it out of the box. Thank goodness all my Mac stuff is in one place! You'll have to repolish it. My stamina isn't there anymore for standing in front of the wheel! Doc gave me the green light to run Tucson in March, and I'm beginning to get the n1ke cleaned up, so my back hurts! Ted
She is all done, just need to polish the great header donated by Teddy Johnston, thank you so much Ted, I appreciate it.
Here are some pics, hope she runs as good as she looks !!!!