Vintage Karting Forum
Reviving a Historical Classic - Printable Version

+- Vintage Karting Forum (https://www.vintagekartforum.com)
+-- Forum: Main forums (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://www.vintagekartforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Reviving a Historical Classic (/showthread.php?tid=1116)

Pages: 1 2 3

Reviving a Historical Classic - Scott Kneisel - 02-25-2017

This is one of my new/old project engines for the 2017 season. It is a classic modified all out Mc10 that I want to run in the historical class. It is done up with period correct accessories except for maybe a Cresent AlKY carb. I have also added a few porting touches which should help performance.  Still waiting for the Go-Power stuffer that is coming next week, then all I need to do is polish the head shroud and finish her up. I have high hopes that she will be a good runner.

RE: Reviving a Historical Classic - ted johnson - 02-25-2017

Love that engine, Scott. It brings back memories of Pop's first really fast engine. I swiped his Wasp/stroker '10 several times to win A Super before I finally scrapped my Mc20 and went with my first of several stroker Mc10's. I like the point cover/Mallory condenser holder, too. I had one of those bolted to the shroud of my B Limited 101A/A fifteen years later. That was one of the only parts I had left over from my early days. I hope I get to Fremont to see it run. Ted

RE: Reviving a Historical Classic - Terry Sullivan - 02-25-2017

(02-25-2017, 10:15 AM)Scott Kneisel Wrote: This is one of my new/old project engines for the 2017 season. It is a classic modified all out Mc10 that I want to run in the historical class. It is done up with period correct accessories except for maybe a Cresent AlKY carb. I have also added a few porting touches which should help performance.  Still waiting for the Go-Power stuffer that is coming next week, then all I need to do is polish the head shroud and finish her up. I have high hopes that she will be a good runner.

I can't see those internal mods!
Stroked?  Bored? Ported?
Give me a hint so I will know what I am up against at TBO!

t

RE: Reviving a Historical Classic - Scott Kneisel - 02-25-2017

I like that point box cover too, it has Caretta stamped on it so I assume they made them at one time. I found two of those old Mallory condensers and both measure the same capacitance and is within the useable range so it should be fine.

Can't wait to run it. Need to find a header I can use, thinking about using an Azusa with an extension so it will clear the shroud. I had a shortie Palmini but it seems to have left the shop, I can't find it. I used that on the last stroked Mc10 I ran at TBO, it was loud but sure sounded cool.

Thanks for the note Ted,
Scott

Terry,
A good engine man never tells!!!

I am not that good though so here goes:

Factory stroker crank
Mc40 rod

0.040" oversize thin ring pinned stroker piston
Exhaust ports squared, raised a little and eyebrowed
Intake wall worked on some
3 finger boost ports fed from the top
0.090" head gasket  0.023" crush up to a stock head.
Palmini P34 directional intake mani with Homelite 4 pedal reed  (my favorite manifold)
Go Power stuffer
Offset flywheel key which will provide 35 deg advance for Maverick

Pretty much a clone of what I built 3 years ago and ran at TBO. That engine had the same timing and was running on Gas with an HL 304E carb on an Mc45 manifold. No preignition and it was a screamer but I was running more crush. When Bob drove the kart he was faster than most of the 91's and 820's.

This year running Methanol and a little more compression it should be even better.

Chris M has the engine I ran from 3 years ago but with a Hartman carb. He should get that out and we can have an Mc10 dual!!

RE: Reviving a Historical Classic - Terry Sullivan - 02-25-2017

(02-25-2017, 11:03 AM)Scott Kneisel Wrote: Terry,

Factory stroker crank
Mc40 rod

Palmini P34 directional intake mani with Homelite 4 pedal reed  (my favorite manifold)
Go Power stuffer

Pretty much a clone of what I built 3 years ago and ran at TBO. That engine had the same timing and was running on Gas with an HL 304E carb on an Mc45 manifold. No preignition and it was a screamer but I was running more crush. When Bob drove the kart he was faster than most of the 91's and 820's.

This year running Methanol and a little more compression it should be even better.

Chris M has the engine I ran from 3 years ago but with a Hartman carb. He should get that out and we can have an Mc10 dual!!

Crap!
I need to get to work!
I have a stroker, but I don't think I have any of those other tweaks.
I hate to cut on a real 10.  Maybe I can get a clone going

t

(02-25-2017, 11:03 AM)y old 101Scott Kneisel Wrote: Terry,

Factory stroker crank
Mc40 rod

Go Power stuffer

Scott, I have a shortie Palmini here. It has an almost invisible crack in it, but it has at one time been polished, and it ought to be loud and should be a great RPM header. I used to run these all the time on the stroker Mac 10's. If you want it; it's yours. I'll try to get this thing to allow me to attach a bad pic of it on my old 101. Ted

(02-25-2017, 11:45 AM)ted johnson Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 11:03 AM)y old 101Scott Kneisel Wrote: Terry,

Factory stroker crank
Mc40 rod

Go Power stuffer

Scott, I have a shortie Palmini here. It has an almost invisible crack in it, but it has at one time been polished, and it ought to be loud and should be a great RPM header. I used to run these all the time on the stroker Mac 10's. If you want it; it's yours. I'll try to get this thing to allow me to attach a bad pic of it on my old 101. Ted
Thanks Ted, that is the same as the one that disappeared on me but mine was not polished. I would love it but insist on paying you for it, they are pretty rare. Send a PM and let me know what you would like for it and I can PayPal or send you a check.
Scott

RE: Reviving a Historical Classic - steve miller - 02-25-2017

woops wrong pic

(02-25-2017, 01:41 PM)Scott Kneisel Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 11:45 AM)ted johnson Wrote:
(02-25-2017, 11:03 AM)y old 101Scott Kneisel Wrote: Terry,

Factory stroker crank
Mc40 rod

Go Power stuffer

Thanks Ted, that is the same as the one that disappeared on me but mine was not polished. I would love it but insist on paying you for it, they are pretty rare. Send a PM and let me know what you would like for it and I can PayPal or send you a check.
Scott
Don't be silly, Scott. I'll never use it, and you've done things for me in the past, so you're more than welcome. I'll go out in the shop tomorrow and dig it out of the box. Thank goodness all my Mac stuff is in one place! You'll have to repolish it. My stamina isn't there anymore for standing in front of the wheel! Doc gave me the green light to run Tucson in March, and I'm beginning to get the n1ke cleaned up, so my back hurts! Ted