Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1964/5 Rupp Gran Prix help?
(02-23-2017, 04:58 PM)Ron Reaves Wrote: Robert Stanton can provide you with the rubber bushings you need for the front-to-rear frame mounts, and for the uni-mount to frame.  You'll need a total of 18 bushings,  they are about .35 each from Robert.

Robert Stanton can provide you with the rubber bushings you need for the front-to-rear frame mounts, and for the uni-mount to frame.  You'll need a total of 18 bushings,  they are about .35 each from Robert.
PERFECT photos and correct!
(02-23-2017, 05:27 PM)Blaine Krugerud Wrote: Thanks for the replies guys!

Scott- I see that the kart you show in the photo has a rubber matt where your feet would rest on the belly pan. Any idea where I might locate some of that type of product?

The steering wheel that is on the kart actually came with this kart. It did have some superficial rust on it but I cleaned that up. That being said, the steering wheel looks to be in excellent condition, so I could understand that it may have been replaced at one time or another.

The kart also came with a similar fuel tank, so I am not sure what the story is on that either. That tank had a small dent in it and needed to be rechromed, so I opted to purchase a new one instead.

This one had the black pleated seat (so it's a '65?) and I would like to put a new one on there, so I will be contacting the fellow in NY about that this week.

Yes, if you guys can get me some info on the rubber bushings for the unimount and frame connections that would be great. I know it isn't as fancy as some others that I have seen, but it is serviceable.

(02-23-2017, 04:58 PM)Ron Reaves Wrote: Robert Stanton can provide you with the rubber bushings you need for the front-to-rear frame mounts, and for the uni-mount to frame.  You'll need a total of 18 bushings,  they are about .35 each from Robert.

Robert Stanton can provide you with the rubber bushings you need for the front-to-rear frame mounts, and for the uni-mount to frame.  You'll need a total of 18 bushings,  they are about .35 each from Robert.

Sorry I missed your post Ron. Ok, I will call Robert again. I should have asked him in the first place. I purchased the belly pans from him and didn't think to ask him about the bushings.

BTW: I want to see a larger view of that kart of yours Ron. It looks stunning from the little photos you keep teasing us with...

Blaine:

Rubber floor mat. The Grand Prix did NOT come with them. They were on A-Bones to protect the painted steel floor pan. The Grand Prix karts had unpainted aluminum--this is not needed.

Your steering wheel is a Dart product. The 1963 Grand Prix came with that steering wheel that is on your kart. The 1964 and newer GPs came with AZUSA. In 1964, I switched to a Grant steering wheel, like R.G. Cain's 64 GP pictured earlier--I LOVED IT! Less driver fatigue with larger diameter (better leverage) wheel and great finger grips. If you come across a AZUSA or Grant--get it, you will not regret it.

Fuel tank - you are set there. You mentioned a factory correct shipped kart and they were typically 7-quarts. Rupp sold what a dealer wanted and realistically your kart could have come with either. This addresses your question about the 6" Bendix brakes and they were standard with the kart. Again, I'm told Rupp would build to suit what the customer wanted. The Rupp B and C-Open (dual) factory team used special readily available material for brake linings in their Bendix brake. You should be fine with what you have! You should be set with the steering equal tie rods.
Picture is of friend Bob Dempsey with his 1965 Dart Grand Prix (It was red like your kart). Seven quart tank, AZUSA steering wheel, Bendix brake, equal tie-rods--the kart was factory stock! Hope this helps with any additional questions?

65 GP has the pleated seat. There is a guy in N.Y. Dart Kart collector that does upholstery. Don't know if it is the same guy.