Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1964/5 Rupp Gran Prix help?
I am wanting to put the finishing touches on this Gran Prix that I have and I would like the experts input and help. So this is the kart as it sits:

(02-22-2017, 11:12 PM)Blaine Krugerud Wrote: I am wanting to put the finishing touches on this Gran Prix that I have and I would like the experts input and help. So this is the kart as it sits:

I have seen guys install a center cap to cover the steering shaft nut. Where do you guys find those?

And second question: Are there rubber bushings on the sections where the front and rear frames attach? This didn't have anything when I bought it, but it seems logical that it would have something.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Blaine,
I am not an expert.

I am in the process of restoring a Chapparral. The steering wheel center is a personal preference. I believe Azusa made them.

The frame and engine mount should have rubber busing on the mounting points. I have not been able to locate them so I made them form rubber stock.

If you need more info let me know.
You have done a great job so far.
Tony
Blaine,

The AZUSA steering came with the 1964 and 1965 Dart Grand Prix. There was a good reason. It was a much nicer wheel to drive or  race with.

Starting in 1964, the Grand Prix karts came with the 7 quart fuel (not a Chilton manufactured) tank that is similar in appearance to the Chilton 5 quart tank that is on your kart. The 1963 came with the 5 quart Chilton tank. Keep the tank, it's gorgeous and if the fuel capacity was not needed back in the days, good chance it would have been used (lower weight).

The two-piece frame rear connection points uses rubber bushings; the front I don't recall having the rubber bushings. (I'll see if I can find pictures). No bushings on front (with rare Rupp option radius rods (front axle support)); Six bushings used on each side rear (Top, middle, and bottom).  The pictured kart I provided is unusual, discussed with several other knowledgeable Dart guys. We think it is an early correct 1966 Grand Prix with tabbed aluminum floor pan instead of riveted and with welded steel seat pan.  When Rupp inventory depleted went to the single piece frame not to compete with the new model two-piece top-of-the-line Chaparral.  

The uni-mount used rubber bushings. (Again, I'll see if I can find pictures).

Upholstery. There was a MAJOR difference between the model years. The 64 had the black seat with white trim with the Dart Kart screen-print logo on seat back. (1963 Grand Prix frame shown).

This picture is a 1965 Dart GP: Correct AZUSA steering wheel; correct with Rupp updated all black, no logo roll-and-tuck type seat upholstery; correct with no rubber bushing(s) on the front connection and correct rear frame bushings in use; and (hard to see) Uni-mount bushings and correct.

Another example of uni-mount bushings on a Rupp built 1965 Lancer GT--a one owner. original survivor unmolested kart.    
(02-23-2017, 10:28 AM)Scott elkes Wrote: I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE RADUIS RODS ON THAT KART
TK

Blaine,

The AZUSA steering came with the 1964 and 1965 Dart Grand Prix. There was a good reason. It was a much nicer wheel to drive or  race with.

Starting in 1964, the Grand Prix karts came with the 7 quart fuel (not a Chilton manufactured) tank that is similar in appearance to the Chilton 5 quart tank that is on your kart. The 1963 came with the 5 quart Chilton tank. Keep the tank, it's gorgeous and if the fuel capacity was needed back in the days, good chance it would have been used (lower weight).

The two-piece frame rear connection points uses rubber bushings; the front I don't recall having the  rubber bushings. (I'll see if I can find pictures). No bushings on front (with rare Rupp option front axle support); Six bushings used on each side rear (Top, middle, and bottom).  The kart is unusual, discussed with several other knowledgeable Dart guys. We think it is an early 1966 Grand Prix (with tabbed pan, instead of riveted), when inventory depleted went to the single piece frame not to compete with the new model two-piece top-of-the-line Chaparral.  

The uni-mount used rubber bushings. (Again, I'll see if I can find pictures).

Upholstery. There was a MAJOR difference between the model years. The 64 had the black seat with white trim with the Dart Kart logo screened print on seat back. (1963 Grand Prix frame shown).

The 65 was updated with an all black, no logo roll-and-tuck type seat.
GEARBOX
Robert Stanton can provide you with the rubber bushings you need for the front-to-rear frame mounts, and for the uni-mount to frame.  You'll need a total of 18 bushings,  they are about .35 each from Robert.

Robert Stanton can provide you with the rubber bushings you need for the front-to-rear frame mounts, and for the uni-mount to frame.  You'll need a total of 18 bushings,  they are about .35 each from Robert.
Thanks for the replies guys!

Scott- I see that the kart you show in the photo has a rubber matt where your feet would rest on the belly pan. Any idea where I might locate some of that type of product?

The steering wheel that is on the kart actually came with this kart. It did have some superficial rust on it but I cleaned that up. That being said, the steering wheel looks to be in excellent condition, so I could understand that it may have been replaced at one time or another.

The kart also came with a similar fuel tank, so I am not sure what the story is on that either. That tank had a small dent in it and needed to be rechromed, so I opted to purchase a new one instead.

This one had the black pleated seat (so it's a '65?) and I would like to put a new one on there, so I will be contacting the fellow in NY about that this week.

Yes, if you guys can get me some info on the rubber bushings for the unimount and frame connections that would be great. I know it isn't as fancy as some others that I have seen, but it is serviceable.

(02-23-2017, 04:58 PM)Ron Reaves Wrote: Robert Stanton can provide you with the rubber bushings you need for the front-to-rear frame mounts, and for the uni-mount to frame.  You'll need a total of 18 bushings,  they are about .35 each from Robert.

Sorry I missed your post Ron. Ok, I will call Robert again. I should have asked him in the first place. I purchased the belly pans from him and didn't think to ask him about the bushings.

BTW: I want to see a larger view of that kart of yours Ron. It looks stunning from the little photos you keep teasing us with...
    Blaine here are a couple of photos of my '64 Grand Prix.

Rob
Other photo.

Rob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very nice looking kart, Rob! How did you get the front and rear bumpers chromed?

That kart is similar to my other kart with the unequal radius rods. And blue is probably my favorite color too.

Dumb question: This kart came with the hydraulic disk brake. I see most people have drum brakes on their karts. Is this brake the stock brake that it came with? The way it was mounted led me to believe that it was. Thoughts?
(02-23-2017, 10:03 PM)Blaine Krugerud Wrote: Very nice looking kart, Rob! How did you get the front and rear bumpers chromed?

That kart is similar to my other kart with the unequal radius rods. And blue is probably my favorite color too.

Dumb question: This kart came with the hydraulic disk brake. I see most people have drum brakes on their karts. Is this brake the stock brake that it came with? The way it was mounted led me to believe that it was. Thoughts?
Blaine, Mine has the Hurst/Airheart Hydraulic brake also.  They were an option when new.  Most of them though, have the drum brake....Ron