Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rings
(02-15-2017, 11:27 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Dave, I talked with Dave B. last evening. According to him, the ring thickness on the newer 820's is .031. Of course, the bore is 2.531. No chrome rings on the earlier chrome or later Nikasil bore, please. Just a good steel ring for easy ring seating. It'd be nice being able to get rings in the same material and thickness for the 610's at 2.1875 bore. The issue there is that the 610 has a steel liner, so oversize rings from +.005 to +.050 would be needed there. Also, accommodation would have to be made for the anti rotation pin on 820 or 610 pistons. Most pins come in from the piston sidewall, but some come down from the crown. I imagine most of the guys capable of rebuilding their own engines would be able to grind the ring ends to accommodate whatever pins there would be on their particular piston. Ted

the company rep called me. i chatted. he sent follow up email. got spec info from steve w sent to company rep. he asked for clarification of ring end cut. so progress made and so far they haven't said no.
also talked on getting other rings made. with 50 order minimum might be hard to get specialized rings and/or sizes. we'll see.
Dave L.
(02-16-2017, 01:47 PM)David Luciani Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 11:27 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Dave, I talked with Dave B. last evening. According to him, the ring thickness on the newer 820's is .031. Of course, the bore is 2.531. No chrome rings on the earlier chrome or later Nikasil bore, please. Just a good steel ring for easy ring seating. It'd be nice being able to get rings in the same material and thickness for the 610's at 2.1875 bore. The issue there is that the 610 has a steel liner, so oversize rings from +.005 to +.050 would be needed there. Also, accommodation would have to be made for the anti rotation pin on 820 or 610 pistons. Most pins come in from the piston sidewall, but some come down from the crown. I imagine most of the guys capable of rebuilding their own engines would be able to grind the ring ends to accommodate whatever pins there would be on their particular piston. Ted

the company rep called me. i chatted. he sent follow up email. got spec info from steve w sent to company rep. he asked for clarification of ring end cut. so progress made and so far they haven't said no.
also talked on getting other rings made. with 50 order minimum might be hard to get specialized rings and/or sizes. we'll see.
Sounds like it might end up being a good deal for the 820 guys. Those of us with more unusual engines may be in for more logistical difficulties. Did you talk to the rep about steel .024 Mac style rings? I don't know how the rest of the guys feel, but some of us try to find non-chrome faced rings for faster breakin and better seal. Since most of us no longer run two or more times a week, the longevity of the steel ring is sufficient. If someone were to produce steel .024 rings up to .050 oversize for 100cc Macs, it would also cover contingencies like KL100 and 95 Homelites, and 610 West Bends with .024 ring aftermarket pistons. The issue with the anti-rotation pin still may cause problems. TJ
Ted,
if the first thing works out with 820 rings we will be exploring getting mcculloch rings done at the same time.
soft wear style rings is exactly what i'm gonna gfo for as the motor blocks are far more important than GETTING THAT "EDGE" THE CHROME RINGS PROVID.
IF SOMEBODY WANTS TO RUN THEIR MOTORS ALL OUT I'M FINE WITH THAT BUT WON'T BE THE ONE THEY'LL BUY RINGS FROM TO DO SO!!
Dave L.
(02-17-2017, 08:19 AM)David Luciani Wrote: Ted,
if the first thing works out with 820 rings we will be exploring getting mcculloch rings done at the same time.
soft wear style rings is exactly what i'm gonna gfo for as the motor blocks are far more important than GETTING THAT "EDGE" THE CHROME RINGS PROVID.
IF SOMEBODY WANTS TO RUN THEIR MOTORS ALL OUT I'M FINE WITH THAT BUT WON'T BE THE ONE THEY'LL BUY RINGS FROM TO DO SO!!

I'm with you. I had to dig to find +.040 Mac 91 steel rings for the +.010 610. I have ONE set left. I thank you for doing the legwork for the gang. Ted
(02-17-2017, 08:43 AM)ted johnson Wrote:
(02-17-2017, 08:19 AM)David Luciani Wrote: Ted,

I'm with you. I had to dig to find +.040 Mac 91 steel rings for the +.010 610. I have ONE set left. I thank you for doing the legwork for the gang. Ted

only way we'll grow vintage is to try to get soft parts repopped.
as you know i'm all about that.
anyway guy wants a sample so this may happen.
hopefully steve has talked with him and things will get done!!
Dave L.
Thanks guys for looking into this matter as I didnt know it was a problem. I will need to freshen up 2 820s with sngle rings pretty soon.
I was curious if someone had a line on thin ring piston rings for a 820 Wiseco piston. Im slowly gathering pieces for a project. I have a set of good used rings , but would like a fresh set. If I were to contact a ring manufacturer , what would be the best material for them in a chrome /nickel bore?
(02-20-2017, 11:29 AM)Art Romanelli Wrote: I was curious if someone had a line on thin ring piston rings for a 820 Wiseco piston. Im slowly gathering pieces for a project. I have a set of good used rings , but would like a fresh set. If I were to contact a ring manufacturer , what would be the best  material for them in a chrome /nickel bore?

Art, tool steel rings work well on chrome or on Nikasil. They're also fine on an iron or steel bore. TJ