Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rings
When doing the West Bend 820 we wanted to use the single ring groove piston. I knew I didn't want the old 2 groove piston with the cast iron rings. When I first ordered these I was sold 2 iron rings of .030 width to place in one groove. a very nice setup. Now a year later they are no longer offering that ring setup. I was a bit upset to say the least. I was told the new ring was a better ring than the old cast iron ring and it would be fine. I wasn't so sure. I've been aware of cast rings, moly rings, tool steel rings and chrome faced rings. Chrome rings is a no no in this engine by the way. So I had to do some research as they were calling it a Ductile ring. It seems the ring material is similar to cast but goes through a change that makes in very strong and flexible, even allowing the ring to get bent but not broken. They are very strong, seat very well, hold seal better than cast, and work very well on Nikasyl cylinders. It appears this will be a very good ring. There are not a lot of options.
Steve are you using the  performance rings from here ?

http://www.usmotorpower.com/parts/performance

Attached Files
.jpg   WB 820 performance ring set .jpg (Size: 3.21 KB / Downloads: 57)
I was. They discontinued those. Those are the rings I was referring to. they have replaced them with a new single Ductile iron ring which is not the same as the old cast ring.
(02-07-2017, 04:16 PM)steve welte Wrote: I was. They discontinued those. Those are the rings I was referring to. they have replaced them with a new single Ductile iron ring which is not the same as the old cast ring.

Did you get the chance to ask Dave Bonbright about the .030 rings? They used to be available from him for the 610 bore. TJ
Yes I talked to Dave. Heck I called every one. Dave wasn't pleased but maybe he has some new info.
talked to Dave today. He is not onboard with the single ring in any meterial. So it's a waiting game for now to see how this shakes out. Dave is working on this.
Hey Steve , what about Catkart racing ? I see they sell a single groove piston , dont know what rings they have. Im sure you tried that venue , but thats all I got.

I forget what place makes piston rings any size , maybe they would do up some in your specs. Ill try to find info.

Otto Gas Engine Works

Grover Corporation
I got the last 2 sets of the tool steel from Catkart. It's now a waiting game. We need those tool steel rings.
(02-09-2017, 10:51 AM)David Luciani Wrote:
(02-09-2017, 09:42 AM)steve welte Wrote: I got the last 2 sets of the tool steel from Catkart. It's now a waiting game. We need those tool steel rings.

Steve,
you're the kind of guy that will act on info so here ya go  contact this guy

OTTO GAS ENGINE WORKS 2167 Blue Ball Rd Elkton Maryland 21921-3330

here's his price sheet on common stuff.

http://www.ringspacers.com/rangcast.htm

A few guys use him for mcculloch ring replacement with good results
Dave L.
Dave Reed from Otto' can't help us. I had contacted him weeks ago. The contacts he suggested were all dead ends. This is not going to fun easy or cheap.