Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's been engine week
This week i decided to do up some pieces laying around. I realized I had a 92 crank I could put in that perfect stock bore block I've had on the bench for 2 years. got that engine built and bagged to put in a box. Then i started my MC 10 project. Pieces have been laying around again for several years. I got my MC 20 project started also. This morning I put together a 91B1 for my buddy. It was an engine that ran in the '75 Nationals and hasn't been run since. I repainted everything for him and went through the engine. Looks beautiful all sealed up with plenty of oil inside. later today I got most of the 20 buttoned up. This engine should be a strong runner. Last night I had painted covers for 5 different engines. When I did the wrinkle black covers I put down one coat of black epoxy primer and then three coats of black wrinkle in a 15 minute period and then put them in my hot box at 120* for 3 hours. You get perfect wrinkle when you do this and it gets much harder when you have baked it.
steve,
pix we want pix.
man reading all your engine accomplishments makes me tired.
aren't you supposed to be retired???

all i did today was totter outside about 10.30 am. would've been gone sooner but was trying to get ct unemployment on the phone.
after hours of trying and being hung up on i gave up.
did get shop building project back in motion.
went to garage that is SUPPOSED to have a brandy new electric service.
NOPE. but my nephew and i did assemble a couple of my new heavy racks.
will be using them to make space in actual garage for me.
by 5 pm i was pretty huorse and it was getting dark anyway.
hopefully the cold is dead and i'll get something done tomorrow.

i am a little excited. this is my very first i own it completely and can do what i want shop.
not very big for me but it'll do for now.
When it all gets done i can get back to bullding my mc10 stroker project.

possibly as early as 2020!!!

dave l
Steve , I enjoy your posts and watched a few videos you uploaded. I know I ask you questions about fab. and you always respond back, thanks for that. I was wondering if you would ever consider posting a video on engine building 820s , Macs, tips tricks? I know racers have secrets , but maybe some of us younger guys can learn from veterans of the sport . Just a thought as I respect your skills , and want to learn more.
Thumbs Up 
(01-20-2017, 01:43 AM)Art Romanelli Wrote: Steve , I enjoy your posts and watched a few videos you uploaded. I know I ask you questions about fab.  and you always respond back, thanks for that.  I was wondering if you would ever consider posting a video on engine building 820s , Macs, tips tricks? I know racers have secrets , but maybe some of us younger guys can learn from veterans of the sport . Just a thought as I respect your skills , and want to learn more.

I second that idea.  It would be great.   There are a lot of fellas in the vintage kart program that are not mechanically inclined but would very much like to be.
(01-19-2017, 08:56 PM)steve welte Wrote: This week i decided to do up some pieces laying around. I realized I had a 92 crank I could put in that perfect stock bore block I've had on the bench for 2 years. got that engine built and bagged to put in a box. Then i started my MC 10 project. Pieces have been laying around again for several years. I got my MC 20 project started also. This morning I put together a 91B1 for my buddy. It was an engine that ran in the '75 Nationals and hasn't been run since. I repainted everything for him and went through the engine. Looks beautiful all sealed up with plenty of oil inside. later today I got most of the 20 buttoned up. This engine should be a strong runner. Last night I had painted covers for 5 different engines. When I did the wrinkle black covers I put down one coat of black epoxy primer and then three coats of black wrinkle in a 15 minute period and then put them in my hot box at 120* for 3 hours. You get perfect wrinkle when you do this and it gets much harder when you have baked it.

I've been building a couple of 91B1's for Riverside. Also took a 90 out of mothballs to run the sportsman class. I will probably get smoked by the West Bend 820's but it's 1 fee for as many classes as you want to run so I'm taking 3 karts plus Rick Cramer's. I hope the shoulder holds up! Also delivering some goodies to a couple of guys out there.
" Delivering some goodies to a couple of guys out there. " ......Like six boxes of history !    Thank you Tom !   Thank you Mike Berg .   Thank you Steve Welte  and Tom Kelley !     Thanks to TK for bringing Chuck Lipka out to visit too !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-23-2017, 04:52 PM)Randy Dacus Wrote: " Delivering some goodies to a couple of guys out there. " ......Like six boxes of history !    Thank you Tom !   Thank you Mike Berg .   Thank you Steve Welte  and Tom Kelley !     Thanks to TK for bringing Chuck Lipka out to visit too !

Randy, leaving at noon today. If you want the mags before Thurs. give me a call 309-368-0183. We will be staying at the race headquarters hotel and plan to arrive on Mon or Tues.