Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the forum
Greetings all,

Now that I have my vintage Suzuki GT550 (2 stroke, of course) back on the road and running as it should, I'm looking for a new project. I raced karts in the '70s abs '80s (mostly dirt, some paved oval & road course), and I still have two karts up in the attic of the garage along with 5 or 6 Mac 91s and a Margay gearbox.

I'm trying to decide whether to get one running to race at a vintage event, get them running to sell, or sell them as is. I guess it depends on where vintage events are located (I'm in New Jersey) and what kind of market there might be for my stuff.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.
(12-03-2016, 03:21 PM)Bill Peck Wrote: Greetings all,

Now that I have my vintage Suzuki GT550 (2 stroke, of course) back on the road and running as it should, I'm looking for a new project. I raced karts in the '70s abs '80s (mostly dirt, some paved oval & road course), and I still have two karts up in the attic of the garage along with 5 or 6 Mac 91s and a Margay gearbox.

I'm trying to decide whether to get one running to race at a vintage event, get them running to sell, or sell them as is. I guess it depends on where vintage events are located (I'm in New Jersey) and what kind of market there might be for my stuff.

Hi Bill and Welcome to this forum.
i liove in ct and am gonna send you a pm with my number chatting about the karts would be a little easier.

Being in New jersey you are pretty close to a few good events.
theres Orville Kart Track in Pa they do regular vintage in their schedule. theres cuddebackville NY they usually have a fall event not sure about spring event this year.
theres Sandy Hook NJ does a spring event.
Avon NY does a july event. And barnsville Ga does an early spring event.
theres Also alot of events further out in Ohio and so forth.
Best bet is to look at the VKA event calendar to get an idea.
VKA EVENT CALENDAR

you might also want to look at the other vintage site vintagekarts.
i'd have suggested joining and you can try but currently they have no administator so joining is a real problem.

fixing or restoring the karts would be a good path if you personally intend to run them. otherwise you need to sell as is to make any money the cost otherwise exceeds their value.

dave l.
What doo you have that you are thinking of selling, I'm in south eastern Pa just above Philly
(12-04-2016, 04:05 PM)Gordie Beidler Wrote: What doo you have that you are thinking of selling, I'm in south eastern Pa just above Philly

David,

I never got your PM. I suspect that it has something to do with my inability to register with the forum. I tried twice, but never got the email with a confirmation code. Also the site does not recognize my email address. Don't know what I'm doing wrong (electronically challenged), but I'll try again later.

I'm going to hold off on selling anything for now. I'm leaning toward getting one of the karts running to do a vintage event now that I've discovered, to my delight, that they have an over 60 class.
You will be glad you did (hold off selling) as once you attend one of the vintage events you will be hooked!
(12-03-2016, 03:21 PM)Bill Peck Wrote: Greetings all,

Hi Bill, welcome to the forum. You could certainly sell them but why not try some vintage events first. We have a great group of people and have a lot of fun. there are several events out your way. Look on the Vintage Karting Association website for the guidelines and event schedule.Also some events not listed out your way. Contact Dave Luciani for those. Also another website is Vintage Karts Forum. If you want more help please aska as there are plenty of guys willing to help including me.What karts do you have?

I hope you will join us!
Tom Day
bill contact me direct at vintage.karts@aol.com i will fix what ever issue you have. though i am puzzled as you seem to be posting just fine so you are registered. when you contact me at the email i'll send my phone number to you.
glad you decided to get into vintage rather than selling. you'll have a blast!!
dave l.