Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fixing carb echo pb770t nothing about karts but still a two stroke post
ok so some guys may say i'm a little famous. but not for good reasons exactly.
i am famous for bonehead assembly moves at the track.
my best ones are usually with carburators,

usually it's something really simple like installing a carb backwards and covering the piulse hole. typically i'll get the motor running anyway and waste lots of time trying to tune in the carb.

lately i've been blowing leaves in between work and rain days. i have a nice echo pb770t that has been really good to me. but this year it's been running slightly under top revs and that annoys the crap outta me.plus it has begun stalling and seems to be getting hot a very bad thing for two strokes anytime. well since i'm such an "expert" on two stroke racing engines i figured i'll just fix the blower. first i checked the plug.it was well worn but good color. next i looked at the air cleaner seemed dirty but still usable. so i read up on other issues and one was debris getting inside the cooling fins. it's a big job to get in there but i figured maintenance called for an inspection.
so i took it down to the motor. first the fins were immaculate so no problem there. then i noticed the hose return for the primer pump was pulled out of it's grommet. . aha says i . it also explained the dirty oil soaked tank and the gassy smell i was hearing about from me sweetie. so i pushed it back in place washed everything re-assembled and ordered new filters and plug.

motor fired right up ran well so i figured problem solved.

NOPE was blowing leaves at rental and was getting annoyed by cold air blowing onto my hip.
motor was running bad again too. plus my tenant asked what's dripping from machine . turned out cold air was gas mix and i was soaked in it.annoyed my sweetie again with BIG gassy smell. called a buddy and went to his house to get a kart he'd picked for me. at same time he looked at machine. now a different hose had pulled free. i figured that was issue.

he didn't dis agree but while i was there he showed me a weird tool he "sometimes" had to use when he needed to adjust a modern two stroke carb. it was a tiny tube with a D shaped end. he told me as a tech he was allowed to use that tool and "sometimes" they were available on ebay. he also told me most adjusters on new carbs are tiny and hidden. i didn't pay much attention to that as it seemed not to have much to do with my machine.

kit arrived and i installed new filters and plug. fixed hose and ran machine. STILL ran poorly. then i went to the net thinking maybe someone else may have same issue.
turns out EVERYONE has this issue sooner or later. seems the carbs get a little gummed up and start running too lean. it's an EPA regulation that ONLY dealers are allowed to tune the carbs.but first they are required to replace all the filters and plug.
long story short it would be at least 200.00 to repair and the motor came ONLY be set to federal specs exactly. it doesn't matter if the motor runs well just the specs are met. to do that most carbs have to have the tiny plugs removed then a tiny tool is used to adjust. then the tamper proof plugs are re-installed. if they aren't the dealer can be fined $30,000.00 per incident. removing the tamper proof plugs by owner is a fine of $3250.00 and the tool is only available to trained dealer techs.

so now i knew why my buddy was "showing" me the tool. it was to prevent me from "accidentally" fixing my carb myself and risking a big fine. so naturally all i did was carefully take apart my carb and dis assemble and clean it. i did discover a tiny jet hidden in the top of the carb. right next to the throttle control. it had a D shaped head that my buddies tool would work on or maybe i could've made one myself from a tiny brass tube but luckily i knew NOT TO because some cranky fed might ketch me and fine my law breakin butt. i also knew not to adjust my fulcrum arm about .001 up to increase gas flow as that too would have been illegal. i re assembled the carb made sure not to disturb the high needle to be 1/2 turn more open and reinstalled the now clean carb. put everything back together and added a small hole so i could see the top of my carb where the leave it alone needle resides under when assembled. i'm silly that way. anyway tried it
and
NOW
IT STILL RAN CRAPPY.
actually way way worse.
it was acting like it wasn't pulling fuel i got it to run but not much.i kept thinking i've done this before but couldn't think of when. so back in shop everything apart big hissy fit and i ordered a new carb 16 bux china repop from ebay.
but i kept thinking what went wrong??,after some research i found that even if i wanted the rough tune spec if i had messed with the setting it wasn't legally available. all walbro could post was between 1.5 turns from closed to four turns but don't you the homeowner mess with it.
thinking whats to lose i decided to reassemble and try again. wasn't sure why i thought that. when i went to assemble i noticed i was installing carb with pulse hole away from engine.
THEN i realized why the way the engine was acting was familiar, i had assembled the DANG THING WITH THE PULSE HOLE AWAY FROM THE ENGINE. Idea Idea Idea
after another hissy fit i assembled it with the pulse hole FACING the engine and tried again.
fired right up was a little low revving but i looked into the hole i'd drilled but i definitely did not fiddle with the fuel inlet control needle at all but then mysteriously it was running way better.
punch line motor now runs fine. i definitely didn't use the tool i didn't make to tune it to peak out that would be illegal. Tongue

rant
what i'd like to know is what moron is in charge of these rules??
the dang corn addled gas they sell dissolves aluminum which then messes up the hole diameters making the tool run crappy. it takes alot longer to get job done . that ='s more pollution not less. a regular tool user learns to keep their tools running best because they need them well tuned. so as usual the wackos create a law to save the enviorment and instead make thing worse.
end of rant

sorry for long story i'm bored tonight
dave l.
but it does run again and somehow the motor is peaking fine again.
Save
Save
I too have an Echo blower. I've had it for at least 10 years, maybe longer. Never once had any trouble out of it. None. Went to use it a few weeks back and no matter what I did, it wouldn't start. Checked all the usual stuff and no spark at plug. Turns out it needs a new coil. Guess what? You can't get that particular one anymore. Not available from any parts house. I have found a few on ebay for sale by individuals but that's not the point. I have always bought good quality yard equipment stuff because I'm a firm believer in the old saying "you get what you pay for". I don't buy from the box stores. It pisses me off to spend almost $200.00 for a quality product and then find that the main electronic part needed is no longer available as a factory part from a factory dealer. The ebay folks want close to $100.00 for the correct coil. So to me, why not just throw in another $80.00 or so and just get a brand new one?
It's all part of obsoleting equipment. if parts aren't available you have to buy a new one. in some Europeon Countries they have a law saying the manufacturer is responsible for disposing of large appliances that are fixable. all of the sudden they started designing new units that are repairable as the disposal costs of old ones wasn't to their tastes.
dave l.
I have a Homelite BX-90 that I bought new/refurbished for $39 in '81. Tossed the tamper proof covers for the needles within a year or two. I replaced the fuel lines with Tygon type F . I've had to replace the in tank fuel filter pickup (clunk) 3 times. It's never seen Ethanol gas. http://www.pure-gas.org/ It has at least a thousand hours on it and still runs like it did new. I'm impressed.
New update.
i oredered a new repop off of ebay. i was pleasantly surprised to find a gas filter and new spark plug included. for something like 15.00 bux. tells me exactly how much the @#$% manufacturers must be marking up the parts when dealer price is marked around 70.00 bux. also shows why big companies LOVE nafte.
anyway i was even more pleasantly surprised to see the new carb was identical EXCEPT there was two adjusting needles with slot head screws instead of the D shaped needle i'd found. one was at the fuel intake i assume it's some sort of flow metering needle. regardless i hadn't even found it on the other carb but knowing where to look sure enough ANOTHER "hidden" adjustment needle was there too.
i installed new carb machine started right up but still didn't peak. since this carb CAME with adjustable screws i'm assuming it's ok to tune the motor.i modified a screw driver to fit the tiny hole and in seconds had the machine running as good as every.
sad that i had to replace parts in order to tune the motor to run clean and efficiently.
these jack-a-napes running the EPA are clueless.
otherwise they'd know as a carburated motor is used it needs adjustment to run correctly. there's probably MILLIONS of these machines burning thousands of gallons of excess fuel just because they can't be tuned.

dave l
Or people just toss them. Every time I go to the dump I could bring a leaf blower or string trimmer that looks in better shape than mine for free.
i've pulled a few hand blowers from the dump. almost always it's a carb issue easy to fix. one just need a gas new filter. i give them away to friends i notice borrowing my stuff too often.
dave l.
You have to love Ethanol gas. Brought to us by the same people that forced the stupid carbs on us. Every one I got from the dump was all gummed from the tank to the jets. A lot of boat folks out there love Ethanol gas too.