Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need some ideas on what people need to know about vintage karts.
hi guys, 
been a while since i posted anything significant.
LIFE HAPPENS.

but as luck would have it i think i am starting to feel like writing again.

sooooo, lets hear from you guys what you want to talk about.
we have guys here that can answer just about anything you like about vintage racing go karts .
sometimes it is even me!

if you don't ask use something i may decide to post something or another i'm doing or thinking about build wise.
Big Grin
dave l.
Dave L.
(03-29-2024, 07:59 PM)David Luciani Wrote: hi guys, 
been a while since i posted anything significant.
LIFE HAPPENS.

but as luck would have it i think i am starting to feel like writing again.

sooooo, lets hear from you guys what you want to talk about.
we have guys here that can answer just about anything you like about vintage racing go karts .
sometimes it is even me!

if you don't ask use something i may decide to post something or another i'm doing or thinking about build wise.
Big Grin
dave l.

Hi Dave;

A few years back I started having some trouble with stripped threads in the aluminum blocks.  I pondered this for a while and came up with a solution that I use.  I have a small lathe so I turned and drilled some aluminum rods 5/16-24 od threads with an inside of 10-24 threads.  I make these about 7/8" long and carefully line up the cylinder block on the drill press table to drill out the stripped hole and tap it to 5/16-24.  Insert them with high temp Loctite, cut them off and file them smooth, chamfer slightly with a countersink and assemble the engine.  I have done three engines so far both with 10-24 and 1/4x20 threads.

In another development, I have found out that an 840 chain saw motor is nearly equivalent to a Mc9, so I am attempting to convert it from a super engine to a standard kart engine.  I have to shorten the head fins a bit, make a bushing to hold the needle bearing for the crankshaft, and modify the coil mounts, I think..   Any ideas come to mind. 

Bob Alexander
why convert it? 
as far as i know the rules state 100 cc motor for 100cc class.
it doesn't matter if its a super or standard style motor.
hope this helps 
dave l.
Dave L.
Dave;

I don't have the super parts, but I have all of the std parts for it.

Bob
easier to use super parts. the coil studs are shorter on super blocks so you would have to shim them out.

please explain a little clearer what you have in parts.
do you just have a bare super saw block and are using everything else from a mc standard motor?
or do you have a short block ie; the crank, piston, con rod and block from a super motor?
for the first its doable but prone to vibration issues where you shim the coil.
i actually have an engine set up that way.
if its the first its far easier to use the correct parts and i probably can help you out.
or if its the second i have haver definitely all the external super parts you'd need maybe we could work out a trade. 
hope this helps dave l Cool
Dave L.
Dave;

I have a block and the rest are std motor parts. 

Bobper saw block and are using everything else from a mc standard motor
a. wouldn't it be easier to just use a standard block? i could dig one out for you.
b. i may be able to swap cranks covers ect ect with you so you can save modifying stuff!
dave l
Dave L.
Dave;

Sent you a PM.

Bob