Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chainsaw power
(03-21-2024, 06:58 PM)Terry Bentley Wrote: So far nobody has tried to identify this kart in the first post. I was figuring at least a few people would take a wild guess.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5389]
Is this a 49 or 73a?
(03-22-2024, 06:38 AM)Terry Sullivan Wrote: Jimmy Yamane's kart. He built and raced it.

YES FINALLY. This is Jimmie Yamane's kart. Well the back end of it anyway. This is before the Mc10 became a kart engine. He bolted a gear reduction model 55 chainsaw engine on the kart as one of the first engines used.

I liked this idea of having the gear reduction and clutch already intact like is pictured. No worries about#35 chain kinking, gears bending or dragging the ground. Unfortunately there are too many moving parts inside robbing a lot of power before making it to the rear wheels.

There will be some closeup pictures of this very kart in "The Bench Racers Journal" as was being built in Jimmies parents garage back in 1959. It will be covered in one chapter. Granted the story is almost entirely fiction, but I still wanted to keep some semblance of reality to it.

(03-22-2024, 06:01 PM)Bob Alexander Wrote:
(03-21-2024, 06:58 PM)Terry Bentley Wrote: So far nobody has tried to identify this kart in the first post. I was figuring at least a few people would take a wild guess.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5389]
Is this a 49 or 73a?

Bob go up and read post #4.