Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PP AH-58 almost made it to the finish line
I guess you have some interest in this thread if clicking again to check out this new post. I had to demote a couple of donor chainsaws to parts only for this one project becoming a reality. That is always hard to do. Sacrificing one for the greater good. How can someone choose which one will live and which one has to be sacrificed for the other? Oh the humanity!

If I were following this thread with interest, my curiosity would be wanting to find out what this project looked like when started and what the final results are. Because anybody can steal pics off the internet and make up some BS.

Unfortunately for some of these old projects, there are always a few of them that dont make the cut. In this case there were several. Most of the internal engine parts are salvageable, but the chainsaw parts may not be worth keeping. The gas tank has holes burned thru. Magnesium doesnt like alcohol or water so much. Long term contact eats away until there is nothing but white powder left. Not the kind some people like to snort up their nose either.

Surprisingly the gear reduction components survive the neglect and abuse. The big gear is made of phenolic and shows no signs of wear on any of these saws.  I am sure there are plenty of these that failed over the years. But not any of the ones on my project list.

The earlier models powered by an AH-47 have straight cut gears. The later model 47 with more hp, the 58 and 81 powered saws have angle cut gears.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5310]

This is used on the Ah-47 model saws. The gears are 18/59 working out to a 3.27 reduction.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5311]

The higher output models use these angle cut gears which are 17/39 at 2.17 reduction.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5312]

I sacrificed two other saws to put this one together. There may still be enough pieces between them to complete another build, minus a few missing pieces.

Now for the piece de resistance.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5313]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5314]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5315]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5316]

Attached Files
.jpg   DSCF9161.JPG (Size: 991.66 KB / Downloads: 70)
.jpg   DSCF9162.JPG (Size: 991.03 KB / Downloads: 68)
.jpg   Left over parts.JPG (Size: 997.77 KB / Downloads: 66)
.jpg   CSfront bar2.jpg (Size: 987.15 KB / Downloads: 64)
.jpg   CSleft back2.jpg (Size: 960.42 KB / Downloads: 64)
.jpg   CSright side close.jpg (Size: 988.95 KB / Downloads: 63)
.jpg   CSrear.jpg (Size: 990.59 KB / Downloads: 62)

Messages In This Thread
RE: PP AH-58 almost made it to the finish line - by Terry Bentley - 03-15-2023, 05:39 PM