Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identify karts and drivers
Look closely and try to identify both of these karts and who is driving them. 

You get one attaboy if correct on all four. Collect from Dave if first one with right answer.

Hint-Go-Kart Raceway 1960

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5248]

Attached Files
.jpg   Go-Kart Raceway 1960.jpg (Size: 128.98 KB / Downloads: 150)
OK come on guys. These racers are very well known. And quite resourceful. Do I need to add some clues to help out here? I originally looked over the picture and it took me some time to figure out who they were. That was before I blew up the picture.

I will add one clue with each wrong guess until someone gets the right answer.
Way before I was born but Ill guess Duffy in a Go Kart and Art on a Caretta
Sets Kanamoto on Go Kart 800, Jimmy Yamane on home built special.
Louie not a bad guess. John, Art and Duffy would have been way too easy.

Sets was brother in law to Jimmie. But you are right about the second kart. Jimmie Yamane is driving his home made special. I am fairly certain this kart was the forerunner to the McCulloch R-1. Or at least a lot of ideas came from it.

The front kart is still in play. I am not going to give away any more clues to his identity just yet. Well except he is not a well known name in karting for big wins. But his craftsmanship and mechanical abilities was way up there. If I said he was a big time hotrod guy may clue someone in tho.
Lets try another person known to the racing world that may be easier for some folks to identify.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5367]

A clue on the first color pic way up there. That kart is NOT a Go-Kart 800. If I told you it was actually a model 400B kit would not help so much in identifying the driver.

Attached Files
.jpg   1960.jpg (Size: 176.38 KB / Downloads: 77)
This guy above is famous in a big way. Think European, I hate to drop the hint Austin Healey, but dang, you guys are slow on this stuff. I grew up in the 70's and knew who this guy was.
Here is another rather famous person. But with all of the excitement in this one thread, I doubt anyone will bother guessing the name of him either.

Not that it matters, but I will include some information about the kart. It is a Dart Special that predates what most of you are more familiar with, the Abone. The early models had dead axles and much longer wheelbase. The first live axle model, Super K was basically this Special chassis converted from a dead axle. It did not prove to be all that great at first. The wheelbase was still too long and from front axle to steering also needed to shortened.

After shortening the wheelbase 2 inches and another 2 1/2 inches from seatback to front axle, the kart was much more stable and predictable. The rear track width was also increased by one inch. After these changes the kart proved itself to be even more competitive than the Go-Kart 800. Shortening the wheelbase even further and making a few more improvements, the Abone was born. Now establishing itself as one of the best karts built during these early years.

But who is this?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5392]

Attached Files
.jpg   3K.jpg (Size: 145.49 KB / Downloads: 25)
Adding a hint for the above pic for those who are curious.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5400]

Attached Files
.jpg   3k1.jpg (Size: 349.95 KB / Downloads: 15)
Did anyone figure out what car is in the post above. I have that same car as a daily driver, except left hand drive in my collection of toys. If you can figure out what car this is, then you should be able to guess correctly who is in the pic above the car.

If you can figure who that guy is then you might put 2 and 2 together and figure out who is in the other picture wearing the funky helmet and goggles.