Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GEEZER INITIAL BARNESVILLE REPORT
As I listen to the thunder and the TV reports of local TORNADO WATCHES, 60 MPH WINDS, 2" HAIL, AND TORRENTIAL RAIN, I am reminded of a wise saying of the late Jimmy Dean.  "Dance with the one that brung you."  At last year's Barnesville ONLY 2 OF THE PARTICIPANTS agreed with the loudmouth nonparticipant's internet proposal to change the Decades old Barnesville schedule to accommodate him.  Over 80 PARTICANTS basically said, "If it's not broke don't fix it."  I pointed out that the proposed change moved the event into the spring shower and TORNADO season for Georgia.   Touchdowns of twisters have already done serious damage in Georgia this year.
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday are supposed to dry up.   Temperatures are forecast to be MUCH, MUCH, LOWER THAN LAST YEAR!

Today's threatening weather made it impossible to get a sense of what the changed schedule, reconfigured track, and high travel expense will do to turnout.  Tomorrow should be more instructive in that regard.

Smokey
i was surprised that b-ville redid their date myself. 
when you promote a successful yearly event changing anything needs a lot of thought.
the first rule is keep it within the same time frame every year.

the variables you challenge when you move an event date are far to many to list.
but in my humble experience it's a horrible idea and rarely works out. 

That said, i really hope it didn't mess up people being able to go. 

d Cool
Dave L.
(04-07-2022, 09:04 AM)David Luciani Wrote: i was surprised that b-ville redid their date myself. 
when you promote a successful yearly event changing anything needs a lot of thought.
the first rule is keep it within the same time frame every year.

the variables you challenge when you move an event date are far to many to list.
but in my humble experience it's a horrible idea and rarely works out. 

That said, i really hope it didn't mess up people being able to go. 

d Cool

David..it was changed in hopes of getting Mother Nature to cooperate,,,,, which she very seldom does..... and she didn't fail us this time...

event was 2 weeks later and it was chilly to say the least...but everyone was on board with the date change,,86 entries,, all hoping for better weather....

oh well...maybe next year..

GW
DAVE - GARY'S NEW ROLE AS PROPOGANDA MINISTER PREVENTED HIM FROM REVEALING THE REAL REASON THE LOUD INTERNET PONTIFICATORS WANTED TO MOVE THE RACE TO APRIL.  APRIL IS GEORGIA'S TORNADO SEASON.  THE REAL INTENT WAS TO PROVIDE A PRETEXT FOR RENAMING THE RACE THE WIZARD OF OZ INTERNATIONAL.

YOUR COMMENTS ON THE DIFFICULTIES IN CHANGING DATES FOR RACES WERE RIGHT ON FOR JACKSONVILLE.  ONLY 50 KARTS SHOWED UP FOR WHAT SHOULD BE A BIG SNOWBIRD EVENT IN JAN OR FEB WITH THE ENTIRE STRAIGHTAWAY TO RUN ON.

SMOKEY
for b-ville i privately felt a date change within a couple weeks of original date shouldn't hurt. 
b-ville has A LOT OF HISTORY. 
a great many of the guys that go there are going because of the history.
it also doesn't hurt that b-ville is one of the first venues vintage karting events were held.
that kinda history will get people to not mind a date change.
 finally because its almost off season for most of the country there isn't much competition from other events. 
regardless i am very happy the event went well.
it is my fond hope to someday return with karts to b-ville.

d Cool
Dave L.