Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help identifying make/year of Rupp kart
I bought a Rupp kart about 2 years ago and need some assistance identifying what it is. It is a narrow hoop with the number panel welded on. Came with 4" turbine wheels in the front and I believe 5" on the rears. Also has fox pedals. The guy I purchased it from said it was a kit and his grandpa put it together. I have seen ads that show Wards / Sears sold Rupps under a different name. From what i have read on the forum, with the welded number panel sounds like it could be a Grand Prix, Grand A, or Brand X.
 Not sure if all the different models used the same axle length and wheel bearing size? I would like to order some parts but would like to know exactly what I have before ordering. Thanks for any help, Dean

Attached Files
.jpg   Resized_20220403_104120.JPG (Size: 129.1 KB / Downloads: 56)
.jpg   Resized_20220403_104133.JPG (Size: 122.4 KB / Downloads: 43)
.jpg   Resized_20220403_104138.JPG (Size: 83.54 KB / Downloads: 37)
.jpg   Resized_20220403_104148.JPG (Size: 103.48 KB / Downloads: 30)
.jpg   Resized_20220403_104223.JPG (Size: 105.59 KB / Downloads: 32)
.jpg   Resized_20220403_104228.JPG (Size: 40.53 KB / Downloads: 22)
.jpg   Resized_20220403_104235.JPG (Size: 143.33 KB / Downloads: 28)
.jpg   Resized_20220403_104257.JPG (Size: 134.06 KB / Downloads: 23)
.jpg   Resized_20220403_104302.JPG (Size: 114.15 KB / Downloads: 33)

.jpg   Rupp Brand X.jpg (Size: 1.51 MB / Downloads: 52)
.jpg   Rupp Brand X 2.jpg (Size: 949.42 KB / Downloads: 39) Dean, Rupp Brand X, came in fire engine red, single or twin, Gary Wlodarsky will chime in on this, he had one at one time.

Fuel tank is being reproduced by Greg Gouveia

Attached Files
.jpg   Rupp Brand X 3.jpg (Size: 1.02 MB / Downloads: 30)
Yep...that would be a 1963 only Rupp Brand X...

very nice piece to restore...

gw

(04-03-2022, 05:47 PM)DeanRichards Wrote: I bought a Rupp kart about 2 years ago and need some assistance identifying what it is. It is a narrow hoop with the number panel welded on. Came with 4" turbine wheels in the front and I believe 5" on the rears. Also has fox pedals. The guy I purchased it from said it was a kit and his grandpa put it together. I have seen ads that show Wards / Sears sold Rupps under a different name. From what i have read on the forum, with the welded number panel sounds like it could be a Grand Prix, Grand A, or Brand X.
 Not sure if all the different models used the same axle length and wheel bearing size? I would like to order some parts but would like to know exactly what I have before ordering. Thanks for any help, Dean
Thanks to both of you for the information, Now I can proceed forward with the resto. As to the broken wheel Louie, seems a little over the top but I appreciate you smashing the wheel just so I can see how they are made!! Smile Smile Smile Thanks again guys
(04-04-2022, 05:10 PM)DeanRichards Wrote: Thanks to both of you for the information, Now I can proceed forward with the resto. As to the broken wheel Louie, seems a little over the top but I appreciate you smashing the wheel just so I can see how they are made!! Smile Smile Smile Thanks again guys

.jpg   BrandXeditedfront.jpg (Size: 48.37 KB / Downloads: 34)
I am restoring one of these for this season. Mine has a steel seat back and steel seat pan but the pan from the seat forward is aluminum. Mine has been cut on a lot and I believe the steering hoop was removed and replaced with the taller late model abone  hoop. I like the fox pedals and they give me a bit more leg room. The frame work is done and I just epoxy primed it yesterday. The color will be the Nassau blue that most Rupps were painted in 63. The original color was red but I already have 2 red karts so this one is getting the blue like the ones sold by sears in 1963.
Gonna go with a center mount engine and a floor tank so it won't be all original but I do have a full set of beautiful Grand Prix wheels and even scored a couple custom made 1"spacers for the 4" turbines. Can't wait to try it out.

.jpg   SEARS 017 Small_zpslwxkekwl.jpg (Size: 53.61 KB / Downloads: 85)
.jpg   SEARS 017 Small_zpslwxkekwl.jpg (Size: 53.61 KB / Downloads: 85)
Another question that I have been pondering, were the Brand X exclusive to Sears/Wards or did Rupp market these to their regular dealers with all the other models?
There is an interesting story that goes with the Brand X karts. I hope someone here will post that has a lot more information that just what I found out about them. My Brand X kart is mostly original and in great condition. Well except for the upholstery. But that is an easy fix.
(04-07-2022, 06:18 PM)DeanRichards Wrote: Another question that I have been pondering, were the Brand X exclusive to Sears/Wards or did Rupp market these to their regular dealers with all the other models?

no...they were not Sears exclusive,,,,,

the story behind the Brand X is Mickey was POd that many other manufactures were using some of his componets ,,so he decided to build something with other manufactures componets,,,,the only real noticable diff is the Fox pedals,,,,and the very first of the narrow steering hoops...

and the steele seat back and floor are correct,, with the aluminum floor pan mounted on tabs using the turbine wheel studs to hold the pan on place 

and an FYI,,,I am have some Brand X stencils made to spray the seat and sticker for the number panel

gw