Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rupp rear wheel repair?
Hey all, I have a set of Rupp turbine rear wheels that are in decent shape except they have a little slop between the axle and wheel. The keyway on the wheel is loose also. What would be the correct way to repair the wheels. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Dean
sounds like someone ran them loose at one time,, or for a long time.....that could be a tuff fix......

interesting to hear of any fixes..other than something like shim stock????

GW
Epoxy isn't going to last. I can't see any choices but weld and re-machine, or find a fresh center. TJ
Will the center steel piece come out of the aluminium wheel if heated up?
Most centers are pressed in, and are incredibly hard to remove. You can't get behind the insert to pull it out. Cheaper just to find another center. TJ
A machine shop can bore the egg-shaped hole and press fit a repair sleeve into the wheel.

Vince H. sells repair sleeves on his classic kart shop website.

.jpg   IMG_5553.jpg (Size: 335.34 KB / Downloads: 55)
.jpg   IMG_5553.jpg (Size: 335.34 KB / Downloads: 55)
.jpg   IMG_5554.jpg (Size: 454.14 KB / Downloads: 45)
.jpg   IMG_5554.jpg (Size: 454.14 KB / Downloads: 45)

A picture of an outer axle hole sleeved to repair damage.

Repairs will differ by wheel manufacturer and type of damage.
Hey guys thanks for replies. Not sure what I will do but at least there are options. I appreciate all your time, knowledge and advise.
Those steel centers are cast into the wheel. I doubt the rear keyed ones can be repaired as easily as has been suggested. I have done plenty of the fronts and outer rears. Even converted tapered bearing to ball. But the thin brass shim stock is a viable option.

I did repair one magnesium Go-Power rear inner half. The wheel was cracked around that insert and loose. I welded up the break and as it cooled the steel collar was tight in the wheel again. Not exactly the same as a wollared out steel, but just something that did end up working.
Terry is right, the wheel is pressure die cast with the steel insert in place. Here is a picture of a broken Rupp drive wheel with the steel insert.

Attached Files
.jpg   Rupp rear wheel broken.jpg (Size: 4.92 MB / Downloads: 29)
.jpg   Rupp rear wheel broken 2.jpg (Size: 3.69 MB / Downloads: 26)