Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need sprocket help
I won three Brevard County A Super championships in three years, first on Bug Wasps, lastly on the Go kart 1200 all using aluminum axles. When I put one in the GK 800 B Super, I realized it did not work well on a dual. The Brevard County guys were mostly Cape Canaveral space center folk, plus the crowd from the Orlando area and from Miami, so they were not dummies. I admit that I weighed 125 pounds back then, but the single engine kart worked fine. I had the 7075 axle in my current n1ke repop kart with the modified West bend on board. I didn't switch out until I added the center mounted Dyna Drive gearbox. The extra weight directly between the wide-spaced axle bearings told me to go with a steel axle. I no longer weigh 125, and our Tucson track is much longer than the old Rockledge, FL track was, but the 7075 axle worked very well in both instances. On the dual open Mc30,and on the triple GK 1200 (two modified Mc6's with a radical stroker Mc10 in the middle), I used a Reed Eng. tubular 4130 axle. It was the best of both worlds, but I haven't seen one in fifty years. It isn't the rotating mass in this case, the small radius of the axle means the weight doesn't matter, but the 5 or 6 pound overall weight drop means more acceleration. I was running B/C open against Dick Wyatt. He weighed about the same as me, and he had a new Lancer with dual Dick Collier (S&S Oil) 820's on board. Collier's 820's were modified very similar to the manner of Dave Bonbright's 820's, and they were FAST. I wanted every trick I could use to run with Dick W. Whoever drew the front position in our races was always the winner. I could not pass him, he could not pass me. We sure had fun, though, even though he was the better driver. The GK 1200 outhandled the Lancer, and that helped. Ted
When I was right out of high school is the same time 1-1/4 axles became the thing. I had just set up a gun drill machine to punch a hole in the one inch solid axles. Thought I found me a quick money maker. Unfortunately did not last long. I still have the gun drill machine. Been sitting rusting and collecting dust since then.
(02-16-2022, 01:40 AM)Terry Bentley Wrote: When I was right out of high school is the same time 1-1/4 axles became the thing. I had just set up a gun drill machine to punch a hole in the one inch solid axles. Thought I found me a quick money maker. Unfortunately did not last long. I still have the gun drill machine. Been sitting rusting and collecting dust since then.

Where I worked at Webster Fluid Power in Racine, WI, we had a "back" building that had a couple of 40'+ long gun drills from WWII. They were still operational when I left Webster in 1993. I never found out what they used them for in those later days, but there was still a machinist back in that old building, doing whatever he did. Webster built hydraulic gear pumps, gear motors and multi function valves. I don't know what app they used the big drills for. My last race kart was my Black Widow. I had converted it to a 1-1'4" axle, but all my race days from '58 until I quit in the early nineties were with 1" axle karts-except my first two karts. Both were dead axle Bugs in '58 and '59. The second kart was a hot rod. I thought I was bad-a$$ with my dual E-65's when I was 14 or 15.