Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As the end of the year approaches
i posted this on vka facebook but some guys aren't there so here ya go
i Wrote this in response to someone on another site. it was said we've done poorly attracting people to vintage. that kinda annoyed me but thanx to him this post happened. Anyway, it occurred to me that what i said is better said in a nice way so i've edited it and am making it a year end atta boy to everyone that has labored to get us to where we are now.. hope you like it.

As we approach the end of this very strange year i want to say atta boy to all the "IDIOTS" i so love in vintage karting. i say IDIOTS because only a IDIOT would have ignored every single bit of conventional thinking and pursued making VINTAGE KARTING in to a legitimate sport. at least that's what we always heard back in the beginning. Mostly it was  "you guys must be some kinda IDIOT to want to buy this obsolete equipment. you're crazy the insurance companies will NEVER allow karts without pods and nerf bars back on a REAL  track. Who could possibly want to run that old worn out obsolete equipment." blah blah blah VINTAGE KARTERS  in general are just IDIOTS to think this will ever be a thing. Blah a di Blah BLAH ....................funny thing everyone involved just ignored the naysayers and just kept going forward. ........................Some History.....................When vintage karting started maybe  20+years ago maybe more  , VINTAGE KART PROMOTERS COULDN'T EVEN GET TRACK TIME. .....ANYWHERE. occasionally they'd con some track out of a weekend and get them to insure "the Event". by conning i mean they laid down cold hard cash they knew 100% they'd never recoup promoting a vintage event. they did it because they loved vintage karting. the were really some kinda special IDIOT with their money. and we love them for doing it. For spending their free time money and everything else just so we'd get a chance to run these old girls once more. usually an "event" was  called well attended if 30 maybe 40 karts entered. Sometimes as little as ten entries happened. Even when that happened nobody cared. The smiles were just as wide the fun was just as real. 40 karts  was considered a really good weekend. it was a big deal for there to be 5 events nationwide ALL YEAR. TBO became the dominant event and they never ran grids. even if we did find a track often times the insurance wouldn't allow the events as vintage karts weren't considered safe.................... and the arguments over rules equipment events were all EPIC.  We truely were IDIOTS on public forums that anyone on the entire internet could read . All arguing for our ideas of what vintage should be. EVEN USING OUR REAL NAMES.  We were proud IDIOTS waging the good fight to create an area of karting just for these obsolete pieces of karting history. And boy did the web flame out more than once.  i'll skip all the names and people who spent their own time and money self sponsoring events so we could run. i'll skip all the guys who fought for rules that were good , created clubs that worked , found parts where there were none , moved karts from one state to another for free. All because we were IDIOTS about VINTAGE KARTING . Too silly to understand what we wanted wasn't really possible. Anyway as you can imagine there are far too many of them to name but GOD BLESS YOU ALL........................................................................ Now,  jump to today. NOW, we have events every weekend of the summer , NOW , we even have events on the same weekend and both get good attendance, NOW, we have tracks nearly begging to have a vintage event and some vintage events produce more income than a WKA g0ld event! ? NOW, having over 100 entries isn't even considered special anymore where a mere five years ago it was special and noteworthy. NOW, Vintage karting by some claims is the fastest growing segment of karting and now happens worldwide. could we have done better looking back? it's easy to say yes but i doubt it. we went against everything anybody thought was possible because We IDIOTS love these karts. We love the comradely which was DELIBERATELY CULTIVATED IN VINTAGE KARTING , We all love the fun which just happens and most of all We love the newbes coming in. Reaching newbes has always been our goal one which we are slowly achieving. But there's no playbook. We have had to invent ways to attract people and IN MY HUMBLE OPINION WE HAVE. So if you wanna call us IDIOTS for pursuing an impossible task then by God i'm proud to be called an IDIOT too!! Happy New Years guys hope to see many more! my two cents less a penny dave l?
Dave L.
Happy New Year from a fellow Idiot
Happy New Year......

not an Idiot,,,but still addicted

GW