Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Mac mounting
Has anybody tried mounting early Macs (Mc5/6/10) on a three-bolt side plate mount? Is there a good solution out there? I'm going to give my buddy a very solid Mc5, and he wants to mount it on the two-stud swing mount on his Van Tech kart. The engine is not highly modified. Thanks, guys. Ted Johnson
Most of my Macs are the early ones. The three bolt mount is what they had back then. I have not seen too many stock engines give trouble. If throwing chains or getting kinked might cause issues tho. Several of my Cates mounts have only the three holes drilled.
I ran Mac 6s with side mounts on SAEs back in the day,,,,never had a problem,,,on good tracks,,ruff tracks, different story...but I think that was more chassis than side mount..

gw
Thanks, guys. Maybe we'll try it. Ted
(12-12-2020, 03:04 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Thanks, guys. Maybe we'll try it. Ted

Hi Ted,

I always welded one or two extra tabs on the lead edge of the side mount to go over and fasten to the stuffer bolts. Once you do that they will not vibrate loose of break mount holes on the block sides. Merry Christmas. 
Later Mike
(12-12-2020, 05:23 PM)Mike Anderson Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 03:04 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Thanks, guys. Maybe we'll try it. Ted

Hi Ted,

I always welded one or two extra tabs on the lead edge of the side mount to go over and fasten to the stuffer bolts. Once you do that they will not vibrate loose of break mount holes on the block sides. Merry Christmas. 
Later Mike
Hey, Mike. Merry Christmas to you and Kathy. The tab is a good idea. I did something very similar on the Homelite XP side plate on the Van Tech. I didn't trust all those No. 12-24 screws! This whole bit is in case Charlie puts my Mc5 onto the Van Tech. Ted