Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vintage Kart Build Off 2016
Categories will be simple

heres what i said before

Period correct 
built as if to race using period correct parts.
parts will need to be within 3 years before and after actual production dates. of course within reason no adding a modern motor that maybe was available but a reasonable person would know was not commonly used.

Full restoration 100 point VKA rules.
ie everyone starts with 100 points: damaged poorly restored bits lose points and any non correct parts like modern chain , tires , drive parts ect will have points subtracted.

Owner modified open class
period correct but can be scratch built period correct equipment.
ie a rear engine kart running a yamaha would NOT be period correct.
extra chrome,powder coating splashy paint all allowed. Crazy engines ect also allowed

Best engine
basically the best restored hot rodded engine.period correct speed equipment is the idea here. fancy intakes extra dodads any vintage speed equipment encouraged.

Best paint
can be period correct or biker hot rod style with flames cartoons whatever

Peoples Choice
the one everyone says is best. one vote per forum member.

Best non USA Vintage Kart entry
this one is for anyone competing in the other countries.this award will help offset the USA parts availability advantage .

i'm not gonna make separate catagories for sidewinders rears ect.
if it's within the years we allow at the track as per VKA rules it has the right to compete.

How you should document your build.

pile o parts
i thought about doing the pile o parts template and actually like that as one method of doing your build off.
i know lots of guys who've been gathering parts for years that probably will follow this pattern.
buy as you go
Another avenue to follow on the build would be to post just the barn find as you found it.
in that template the journey to completion would include posts on parts search/purchases.

the buy as you go style will take alot longer thus the year time frame.
plus many karters aren't exactly rolling in money and may have to save and pay as they go.

both should include detailed pix of disassembly,damaged parts as found,repairs as done ect ect.
i definitely will be one of the judges and my criteria will include how much in depth videos/pix and explanatory threads you post with the project.
i know some don't exactly like to post on the forum but maybe by making it a extra edge in the judging will change their minds.

part of the goals would be to have a whole bunch of different people showing off building and rebuilding technics.
stuff that would help a newbe in their journey to become a better restorer themselves.

dave l.

Messages In This Thread
Vintage Kart Build Off 2016 - by David Luciani - 01-10-2016, 07:59 PM
RE: Vintage Kart Build Off 2016 - by David Luciani - 01-10-2016, 08:06 PM