Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The shortest distance between two points...
Steve, I have not yet measured the bolt spacing, but I will. My original impression was that the big end bore appeared to be off center, such that a line drawn between bore centers would not be centered between the flanges of the I-beam from top to bottom, creating an asymmetrical load.

Ted, since you were scrutinizing rods, do you recall if there was any trend or consistency with regard to which way the rod was oriented during assembly, whether in production or in the workshop?  Now that we're discussing it, do you have any thoughts on the matter, even if they're idealistic observations?  I mean, could there be a best practice here?

During the manufacturing process, what could be the reason for the aggregate of holes being so sporadically positioned on the forging? Is there a datum point that is more subtle and variable than centering the holes on the centerline of the forging? Or is it all an optical illusion?

I assume that the process was not more precise because it wasn't important enough to demand more precision, but it sure seems like there's a lot more leeway given to this operation, compare to others.  Is machining the connecting rod the matter of least concern in a 13000 rpm reciprocating assembly? 

I've enjoyed the conversation.  Thanks for checking in!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The shortest distance between two points... - by Kurt Bogerman - 04-07-2020, 11:38 PM