Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 140

Now Chris had to prove to me he was able to make a good clean pass to get around in the next few turns. While Chris had been following Steve, his driving looked decent. But I could tell he was only copying what Steve was doing. Not driving naturally like he had been doing before we changed up his kart.

Chris has enough power when driving my kart to pass me just about anywhere on the track. But he does not have the confidence yet to realize that. So today he needs to keep making laps following me or Steve until it becomes natural for him driving again.

Unfortunately he is way too used to that dead axle. The kart sort of just followed which direction the front tires were pointed. His engine also didnt have enough power to really make much difference in what the kart did. Now the live axle needs a lot more power plus he has to learn to actually drive instead of just turning the wheel.

Steve puts up his hand and we all follow him into the pits. I can tell Chris is not happy at all. I figure he is really about ready to blow a head gasket. Good thing there isnt one on him or the  engine. I was surprised to see Chris set his helmet down in my seat. But then he just walked off without saying a word to us.

Me and Steve spent the next ten minutes making adjustments, oiling the chains, and filling up the gas tanks. Chris was absentee during this time. I was thinking about what needed to be done on our karts to take advantage of the little bit of time we have left to ourselves.

While I was checking over his kart, Chris came up and watched me. I checked the tire pressure since there was enough laps put on the kart to find out what we needed to adjust. I noticed the front tires were 22 pounds and very hot. The rear tires were right at 20 and barely over warm.

The front tire pressure was dropped down to the 16 pounds it was supposed to be initially set at. I also moved the rear wheels out slightly. Since Chris was standing there, I handed him the big break over bar to help me remove the rear wheel axle nuts. We went with a 32 inch long axle when doing the conversion and made those small spacers so the wheels could be set out another 1/2 inch on each side.

I thought the front tires had been checked when we got here. Not understanding why they were up so high. Maybe they were both still set at 20 pounds when Chris had mounted the tires originally. But I do remember Chris asking me about what the pressures needed to be set at yesterday when changing mine out.

Whats on your mind Chris? You are unusually quiet right now. He looked tired and his eyes were red and almost swollen.

I thought I knew how to drive. Now I realize I dont have a clue. It is like when I first got my kart. I was all over the place. It took me forever before I was able to make the kart do what I wanted. But that was only when practicing in parking lots.

When I first got out here, then again I was not able to keep the kart on the track. When I finally figured out how to make it go in a straight line, then started racing. I was having fun and enjoying myself being able to get it around the track at a decent pace.

I knew my kart was not fast, but that didnt keep me from having fun trying to get it going faster around the track. Now with all that work done, I cant drive it at all. Then realizing it was not the kart that was the problem after driving yours.

You guys are awesome driving out there. I dont see how I can ever make my kart get around smooth like both of you are doing. Then you go flying by me driving my own kart. What am I doing so wrong?

Chris I think you just need to get some more track time. Dont try to race out there. Just run laps to get smooth and a feel for how the kart handles now. This live axle is nothing at all like you are used to. But when you get it figured out, your kart will be flying out there a lot faster than before.

You cant just sit down in a kart and force it to go where you want to. It has to be set up properly and then you have to understand what the kart is doing to drive it. What little bit of time me and Steve have spent practicing was all spent on figuring those things out. That first time I got the chance to drive Mr Cates kart, I found out what the kart is supposed to handle like. After that I made adjustments that get the kart there. Then make adjustments to make it even better.

Chris, all the time racing your kart, how many things have you done to make it easier to drive. Did you adjust tire pressure or check if the wheel bearings are not worn out?  Did you ever measure the front end to see if the toe-in was close? After tearing your kart apart, I dont see how you made a complete lap out here.

When the kart is set up near perfect, you can make it do just about anything. But first you have to know its limitations. And yours, of course. Right now your limitations are holding you back. You dont have the confidence needed to race yet. We need to take advantage of this afternoon and run a ton of laps with you.

I mean as in not trying to race each other. It will be mostly boring, but you might figure out how to drive in to a turn and carry your speed out without it plowing off the track or spinning out. If the kart is close to right, and you are relaxed, the kart wont let you down. But you have to know how to drive it thru the turns, not like how you were accustomed to the kart handling.

I dont know if I can do that. I was so used to how it did handle. Or realize it didnt really handle at all. I was not expecting anything like how it drives now. It is totally different. Oh yea, I didnt know you had to do all that stuff to make the kart handle. I only fixed what broke or fell off. I didnt know tire pressure made much difference. Just aired them up when flat. But I did figure out how to change the tire when all the tread wore off and blew a big hole in a bald spot.

All you can do is get back out there and put a lot of laps down. I bet your next session will feel a lot different than your first attempt. But you need to follow Steve. He likes making laps just for the drive time. This is perfect for you to see where he brakes and when he steers into the turns.

Just take it easy and try copying what he is doing. Then when you are getting it down, try making slight alterations and see the difference it makes. You may find out you can go deeper in some of the turns or get back on the gas sooner than he does.

OK I will give it a try. But if I am not improving a lot before race time, I will not race tonight. But I will pit for you. I already made up my mind about this, so dont try to change it.

No problem Chris, if that is how you feel. I wont push you on it at all. But I am going to push you to get out there on the track while we have it all to ourselves. So get suited up. You are wasting valuable time right now.

By the way, since you drove both the karts already, what is the difference between them?

Um, I really didnt give myself a chance to feel much of anything about my kart. Except it was not at all what I was expecting. The engine is a whole lot faster. That I did realize right off. But I was so, I dont know, maybe disappointed, that my kart didnt drive like I was thinking it should.

Then I really screwed up thinking my kart was just messed up and your kart would drive itself. I found out too quick that something else was wrong. That my driving might not be so great after all. I could not understand how you and Steve made it look so easy.

But it was so easy for me to drive my kart before we changed the axle over. Now it runs a ton faster, except I cant make a single lap on the thing without getting frustrated about not being able to drive it right.

Well Chris I made some changes, but you didnt make a complete lap on your kart, so probably wont notice if the adjustments helped or not. Focus on how it handles compared to mine. Then we can talk about things later this afternoon.

Chris did manage to make some serious laps during our last hour of practice. I made a few laps and then decided on one gear change. My engine acted like it had a lot more to give if I added a tooth to the axle. It seemed to have a punch at the end of the long straight, but too late to take advantage of it.

After waiting up for Steve this next time out, I followed both him and Chris around to see how much difference the gear change made. It sure felt like I had a lot more punch out of the hole now and pulling harder down the straight.

At the end I really felt the difference this time. I dropped down and passed both Steve and Chris way earlier than I could before the gear change. Then going into the tight turns, the kart was much stronger. Back around on the short straight, I noticed there was almost a full kart length between me and Steve now.

I didnt let up and pushed the kart for all I could on this next lap. Pulling on to the long straight, I could feel the difference in speed. The engine is a lot faster than from our first race. Even faster than when I tried out the bored carburetor during our second practice day out here.

I dont know how much closer my kart can run with the Westbends, but expecting they are going to get a run for their money if I am right about the engine. Then I reminded myself of the work done on the E-65 piston. Thinking about how those ring fillers could come apart and turn the engine to shrapnel.

I backed way off and let Chris and Steve pull back ahead of me. Then took it very easy following Chris to see how he was driving. He still seemed a little bit jerky trying to copy Steves exact moves with the braking and steering. Overall he didnt look too bad, but he is very hard on himself.

If he is not satisfied with the improvements he makes, then no racing for him tonight. Even tho I know he will regret that decision if he chooses not to do so. Then I had an idea. How about a little bit of distraction to take his mind off of his slightly jerky driving?

Since I had enough extra engine to mess around with him, I decided to push Chris a little bit and force him off his line. Then a tap here and there wouldnt hurt too much. I sure dont want to scrape wheels with his kart, but need to make him drive defensively.

I hope he doesnt give up his position if I try to stuff my nose between him and Steve again. That means he is not confident in his driving at all. Steve is doing an excellent job running at a decent pace and driving a perfect line for Chris to follow.

But that is only one line that Steve favors. Chris needs to drive outside of his comfort zone and learn how to correct the kart when not in his groove. He needs to find his own line too. His kart handles slightly different that the Cates karts.

I am hoping the changes I made will help out a lot on getting his kart to respond more to what I am used to. This way it will be easier to figure out what changes need to be made on his kart making it handle to his liking. I know he is going to use mine and Steves karts as how his should handle, so makes sense.

I spent a lot of laps now pushing Chris. Moving him out of position, stuffing my nose in on him, even braking early one time. So far he has reacted the way I was expecting. But his driving is still more mechanical than natural fluid motion. I am watching him and Steve both together figuring this out when behind them.

My engine starts to sputter and nosing over. I dont remember filling the tank up during the last stop. Hope that is the only problem. It is not good if the modifications I made just to my engine alone are already failing. This is something I hope with not happen for a while. And it has not been that much of a while, not even close.       

I back away and pull off the track, while engine is now popping and sputtering. Then it dies as I coast to our pits. Argh, I dont need this right now. First thing is to check the gas tank. I see the tank is very close to empty. But not bone dry like I was expecting. That would not be very smart. Just another thing I dont need to let happen.

I take some time to watch Steve and Chris make their laps. So far, Steve has been more than consistent. Chris is still very jerky and making every attempt to keep the same distance behind Steve all around the track. Then copying his hands and feet movements best he can.

Chris is having a tough time being smooth when steering. He seems to slightly oversteer then attempts to correct. But over compensating when doing so. He looks very tense out there too. Like having a death grip on that steering wheel.

When Chris lets off the gas then brakes, he is not smooth at all. It seems like he is only copying Steves every moves. Not trusting himself at all to do the driving. I need to figure out something to make Chris relax and trust himself better.

Maybe it is time for Chris to take the lead and have Steve try pushing him for some laps. Steve holds his hand up, so he is pulling off the track now. But Chris decided to take some more laps out there alone.

As I am walking up to the fence, Steve follows me over there. Well that was fun. I am feeling good about the kart. My driving is about the same. Nothing that sticks out as a problem yet. Got anything to add?

Nope Steve, you are a statue out there. Very consistent but predictable. During the race you need to work on that one thing. Otherwise everything looks good. Chris on the other hand is totally lost. He is not trusting his instincts at all.

He is so down on himself, I dont know if he will figure things out before race time. I hoped following you would get him up to speed, but he is only mimicking your driving style. He is fighting his own natural ability and only copying you. I dont know what to do about him right now.

Watch him out there by himself. Still copying exactly how you drive. That does not even look like him in the kart. Notice how rigid he is sitting up like that? He used to be so layed back like part of the seat. Now its like something that is strapped on top of a stool and being forced to endure everything.

Yea he sure does look tense out there like you said. Maybe Frank could give him some pointers. I turned and punched Steve in the arm hard and wanted it to hurt.

HEY MAN, that WAS totally called for. As he rubbed the pain away. It was just a joke. Not a funny one, but still..... I did have to laugh at Steves attempt to make fun of the moment.

Speaking of hay Steve, tell me what you think of my idea. How about if me and you go out there and distract Chris. We need to get up all in his business. Make him react to our distractions. See if we can make him rely on instinct instead of his insecurity he is showing right now.

Once he finds that groove, his driving is going to be impressive. Well I am hoping for that. What do you think?

I think you slugged my arm too hard. Dont think I can drive for a while. Then his smiled. Yea we can try that. What is the worst that could happen? Him not wanting to race tonight? I see that highly unlikely from him. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM