Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 101

Chris just go away and let me sleep in this morning.

Come on Terry, please get up already. I need your help to make sure my kart is put back together the right way. I dont want to make any mistakes. That means you have to get up.

OK fine, I am getting up. Why dont you go into the kitchen and fill up a bowl with Corn Flakes for me. Be sure to put plenty of sugar on top. If there are any strawberries left in the fridge, well put a bunch of them on there first.

I will go do that right after you promise me you are getting up. I know you wont lie to me, but you have say it before I go make your breakfast. I gotta hear it from you first.

Alright, I will get up. I promise. Now get lost already. I immediately pulled the covers over my head wishing this was only a bad dream. I was not anywhere close to getting up yet. It is still way too early. Crap, why did he make me say that? Argh!, This sucks.

It took some effort, but I managed to crawl out of bed. But is was forced. How does he manage to get up so early every day like that? Why do I like to sleep in late all the time when I can?

Haha Terry, your hair is a big mess again. What do you do to make it mop all up like that? Oh here is your cereal. I dont think it has gotten all soggy yet.

Chris had already finished up his bowl and now watching me slurp mine down. He was sitting there drumming his fingers on the table. But did seem to be patent enough to let me eat my cereal in peace. Alright lets hit it Chris. If you want your kart put back together today, lets do it.

Mom made it very clear to Chris that he should help himself with whatever he needed when visiting. She did this so he might feel more at home when spending time over here. Or like this time the whole weekend. Chris took to it immediately. So more like a part time little brother when he is here. But I treat him a lot better than my oldest brother ever did to me.

This again brings back some things I remember learning growing up in church. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". This one verse has nothing to do with religion. It is just how people should treat each other. I wonder where my brothers were hanging out when that lesson was being taught? I think my oldest brother translated this to read, "Do to others before they do to you first".

There is something I had not been that aware of until this weekend. When me and Steve get tired of each other after hanging out too much, he can just head down the street and go home. I am not tired of Chris hanging out this weekend at all. But with him here the whole time, I dont have that luxury like when telling Steve to just go home already.

Since Chris is here to work on his kart, there is nothing for him to do unless I am involved. He cant just take a hike and go back home. He is here for the whole weekend. So I have to keep him occupied or helping out with whatever we are working on.

This is almost like having a real paying job. Well minus the real paying part. I have a job to do. Doesnt matter if I am paid doing specific work at a job or working on something I offered to help with. You make a commitment, then have to follow thru to the end.

So the only thing Chris can do is wait on me until I am ready to help him out. I now see why he wants to get to working on his kart. I also better understand why you have to take care of your guests. Since it is my responsibility and nobody elses but mine. I cant just unload Chris off on someone else just for my convenience.

Hey Chris, you ready to get started on your kart? We might be able to get a lot of it done today. I dont know how close to finished it will be, but should get a bunch taken care of if we didnt overlook too many things.

We headed out to the garage and got started back working on his kart. The frame now has a nice bright shiny paint job. It turned out really well too. Chris chose black since that is the only color I had here to paint it with. The original color was black anyway, so no big deal if we missed a few spots.

The nice deep industrial black gloss enamel looks great of his frame. So there is only one thing left to do. We can now assemble his kart. This time maybe for good. Then hopefully make plans for heading back to the track soon and test to see if everything we did was done right and actually works.

After we got started, Chris took over and focused on putting all of the parts back on his new looking frame himself. A few minutes later, I was only handing Chris tools he was asking for and holding parts while he bolted things together.

This is more or less what Steve used to do when we worked on our project of the week. He didnt know anything about working with metal or lawn mower engines at first, so spent most of the time watching me do the hard stuff. Well it wasnt really that hard to do. Just that he had never worked on anything like them before. His dad is a cabinet maker and wood is what he is more familiar with.

After a while Steve got good at the same things I liked doing after all the watching he did. He was good enough I didnt need to hang over his shoulder when working on something by himself. He sure does not like me asking him questions, like why he is doing something a certain way. Not to mention it distracts him from his concentration.

Watching Chris reassemble his kart, I see he is doing a lot of things exactly the way I showed him when he was learning and taking in everything over the last two weekends. He even made some slight adjustments on how I was doing things myself. Not all of them were just shortcuts, but slight improvements.

We talked about everything as he was putting parts on the frame. I went back over the things that had been covered already when first test fitting all of the pieces.

Late Saturday morning we had his kart completely finished. Well test fitted with all of the components to make something resembling a kart. I went into detail on every nut and bolt. No shortcuts either. I made him do everything the long and hard way and why to do it like that.

The minor adjustments he was making in reassembling were nothing like cutting corners. He chose some different tools to do certain things, and had them ready to assemble the next part getting bolted on.

Some bolts he would run down only with his fingers. then move on to something else. Then go thru and tighten everything that particular tool would fit. But not doing it this way from being lazy. Just being more efficient. I kept watching to make sure he didnt overlook some of those hand tightened bolts.

When Chris started to reassemble the rear axle, I made him stop and pay extra close attention. The bearings were bolted on first then making sure they were not too tight in the flanges and so they could still self align. I also pushed Chris to actually run the lathe by himself. At first he was really nervous and reluctant. But I went thru the motions a couple of times then watched him do most of the work without too much interference from me.

I showed him how to set up a lock collar, first making sure it was pushed back flat against the chuck, then machine the lip off. After the first one, he relaxed and was able to do the rest of them without any problems. But there was still more to do. There is always more to do to do things right.

Next he got to try his luck on the drill press. Since he was only drilling out the small dimpled hole used to tighten the collars with a punch, nothing was really critical. Then I explained to him how to tap out those holes to put another set screw there. He had watched Fish use a tap and die set before, so figured this would be no problem. But he soon found that was not the case here.

The important thing was getting the tap started in straight and not break it off. It is very easy to break especially if there was very much resistance. The easiest way was to keep from breaking is rotate the tap 1/8 to 1/4 turn, back off, breaking the chip, not the tap, then repeat. The only way to learn how to do this is by experience. All of the explaining was useless until he turned the tap himself.

Once the axle slid easily thru all of the bearings, Chris then realized why we did everything the way we did. There was no drag or turning resistance at all. But we did make some alterations for this to work well as it did. Dad had covered all of this with me before.

One other thing my dad suggested to me doing is removing the rubber seals on these rear axle bearings. These particular bearings are LINK-BELT. The steel shield is painted a shade of light blue. It is large and covering over most of the bearing. But a very small and thin rubber seal to retain the grease runs of the inner race.

He told me to wash the bearing out very well. Make sure to use clean gasoline. Preferably white gas if any was left in the container. Then peel off the rubber seal. Reassemble the bearing and only use a thicker oil to lubricate now. Just a few drops after every few races will be fine.

I was thinking this is one time Frank would spin that dry bearing up with an air hose. Make that bearing sing. You know to be sure there is no more contaminants or debris to trash up the races. I think it would be funny to watch that bearing lock up on his finger. Well I would not want that to happen, but might be funny if it didnt hurt so much.

Chris figured everything out from what my dad had originally told me soon as he took an up and close inspection of his bearings. He pried the shield off using a small screw driver, then tore out the seal. After cleaning he carefully tapped the shield back in place. It snapped in perfectly.

Chris had unloaded a few big boxes when arriving Friday afternoon before I had made it home from school. I had not been so nosy yet to see all what he actually picked up. After digging in one of the smaller boxes of parts, he pulled out a brand new Azusa Mark II Vari-hub.

Hey Terry, this cost $2.95. Do you think it was worth that much? Pappy Neal suggested I should buy one of these new. So if this is the Mark II, what did they have before this one? What, like a Mark 1? He followed this with his signature chuckle. This is the only one I have seen they sold in my magazines. Do you think it is that smaller one like used on the Bendix brake?

Probably right about that Chris. Before those super light weight split aluminum racing sprockets with this big hole came out, they were selling one piece steel sprockets with a lot smaller center hole. Like only four bolts to hold it on the hub. That might be the first version.

The kart was now getting closer to being mostly assembled and nearing the time it will be checked off as finished. Chris walked over to the corner of the garage again where his boxes full of new parts was laying on the floor.

This time Chris grabbed the big box, opening it up and pulled out four brand new tires. As he walked back over to his kart, I could just make out the smell of new rubber now lingering in the air.

Hey Terry, is there any special way I need to know about putting the tires on my almost new wheels? I dont know anything about these Go-Power wheels except they are really cool looking. One other thing I noticed is they are super lightweight compared to the old steel wheels off my kart.

No Chris, nothing special that I am aware of. But then again I have never mounted a brand new set of tires before. Do you see any directional arrows on the sidewalls? If not then dont worry about it.

Nope I dont see any arrows on my tires. So I can just mount them any which way, right? What about the whitewalls? Should I put them in or out?

Huh, do what? You actually bought whitewall tires?
Chapter 102

No Terry, just joshing with you. White wall tires might look cool on a car. But not so much for racing. I wouldnt get them for my kart. Hey, didnt you tell me you needed tires? Or something like that?

Yep, I gotta save up enough money to pick up a set. Did you remember to check on prices thru Paul, or Fish, as you call him? I dont think it is worth risking another race without replacing them either. Maybe not even the next practice session.

Oh I am sorry. Completely forgot. I was working over at the shop helping Fish. Then he got busy with customers. I left a list of things for him to order for me on his desk. So I can find out when I go there after school on Monday.

So do you hang out over at his shop a lot?

Yes sir, sure do. Almost every day after school. I get my homework done first, then help around the shop. Mainly sweeping and cleaning up. I even do inventory for him sometimes. Then stock the shelves when orders come in.

You mean like a real job?

Yea, but he doesnt pay me with money. He said it would work out better for me and him if he buys things I need for my kart. Since he can write off most of the expenses, he can help me out better than what he would be paying me. Plus I am not old enough to work yet. Not even part time.

Wow that sounds like a decent deal to me. So Chris, how do you know Paul anyway? I mean is it from the track or what?

No, he used to be my neighbor before we moved into our house. When I lived in apartments, he was the next door neighbor. His shop is not too far from where I live now. But the apartments are on the other side from where his shop is.

When mom had to work late, I would sometimes hang out at his place until she got home. Fish started taking me to the track last year. I got hooked really quick. But my parents had divorced and I was stuck in limbo. My mom had no way to help me if I got a kart.

I think my dad felt guilty about everything. He showed up last Christmas with my kart. But since he moved out of town, I didnt have much way to get it to the track by myself.

Fish has a kart and used to race a lot. But has been stuck working at the races a lot more lately. I think he likes helping out there more than actual racing. His kart is an older model. Even older than mine is.

He has been helping me out there a bunch. But I can tell he doesnt know all that much about working on them. Especially the engine. Everything you have helped me with I had no idea about at all. He does more scratching his head than knows which way to turn a wrench.

I have asked questions on how to do things from a bunch of racers at the track. But only a few of them are very helpful. There are some of the really fast guys that seem to know how to work on engines. But they laugh when I tell them I have a Clinton.

Most people out there try to be helpful, but dont act like they know what to do themselves. I mean they will give me a start when Fish is working the grid or something. But if it doesnt fire right up, they dont know what to do.

I was so impressed when you and Steve came out there. You guys actually did work on your karts between the heat races. I mean like gassed them up, checked tire pressure and even made sure all of the bolts were snugged up.

I remember you guys did something I sure didnt understand that night. It was after the first heat race. You pushed your kart around a few different places, while Steve sat in the seat. Then told him to hold the steering wheel straight.

I saw you trying to lift one front wheel slightly off the ground. Then you did the same to the other side. I couldnt figure out what you were going to all that trouble for. Nobody else ever does stuff like that between the heat races. Was there something wrong? What were you doing?

Oh, I forgot about that. Nothing really that important Chris. After fixing my frame the first time, I didnt get it back perfect and the front end would not steer so well. It turned easily one way and sort of just plowed when turning it the other way.

What I was checking for is making sure both front wheels felt about the same weight lifting off the ground. I had fixed the problem and the kart was handling great at the last practice session we had. But during that race the front end went to pushing more than I remembered it doing.

I had to throw my body weight around a little bit to make the kart get thru some of the tighter turns. That is what I remembered it handling like when the front end was messed up. But it felt more like the same steering both ways this time. Later when I got home, realizing the front tires had no wear indicators left showing on them.

Besides the tires I have are Tex-cons. They are OK for tires, but a lot harder than other brands. They have little slices across the tread to help get better grip. But if no more rubber is left, well they are worn out.

So I hope to get enough money saved up before our next race. I have a lot of it already, but not all the way there yet. A few more jobs mowing, and if nothing unexpected comes up, I will let you know and hopefully Paul with allow me to buy new tires thru him.

OK, Terry. But he wont mind doing that at all. Since you have been helping me out, he feels a lot better now that my kart is getting upgraded and maybe even a lot faster. He said he didnt know what to do  on my engine.

He keeps reminding me he can put gas in the tank and oil in the crankcase, then pull the rope. But when it comes to working on a kart engine he is completely lost. He says he still doesnt understand how an engine can run on watered down oil and not blow up.  

Hey Chris, we are burning daylight. You better get back focused on your kart. Oh yea, when you put your wheels together only run the small bolts down snug at first. Dont tighten them up until they are mounted on the axle or front spindles.

OK Terry, that is how I will do it then. After about thirty minutes of wrestling with the wheels and new tires, Chris had all four of them snugged up finger tight and ready to move forward.

While Chris was assembling his wheels, I got curious. That Azusa Mark II hub is like brand new so far as I have seen advertised in the mags like Chris mentioned. It wasnt even a few months ago I didnt remember seeing any ad Azusa for offering the Mark II Vari-hub.

The first magazine I checked out was August issue of Karting World. For some reason I still have not had the chance to read this issue completely thru yet. Right there on the inside cover I see the Asusa full page ad for some of their products. There was a tiny picture of that sprocket hub. They have the standard quick change sprocket hub. The Azusa Vari-hub.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5006]
August 1961 Karting World Azusa ad

At a glance, this sprocket hub looked no different than the new one Chris had just bought. Well, so I first thought. But it is a very tiny picture in the ad.  Looking closer it sort of looks more like the Hands sprocket hub. But it is advertised to retail at $4.95. Wow that is a lot different in price than what Chris payed for his.

While Chris was busy, I walked over and looked at his new sprocket hub more closely. Oh wow, there is a lot of difference. The new one uses four bolts to tighten that tapered hub. After some more digging, I found a half page ad for just the first Vari-hub Azusa sells. It has three bolts to secure the tapered center piece.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5007]
April Karting World page 89. Half page ad.

Still thumbing thru a few more magazines, I saw the new ad on the first inside page of my September issue. It had just arrived a few days ago. A whole page just for this new Azusa Mark II Vari-hub. It now sells for $2.95.

Man that is more like it. This new one has a double taper bushing with a reinforced key way. This one looks like it may also be lighter with the recessed slots on the outer diameter between each sprocket bolt hole.The new sprocket hub has thinner reinforcing ribs but also twice as many.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5008]
Sept 1961 Karting World Azusa Mark II full page ad

So they redesigned it, strengthened it, and made it lighter. Then dropped the price down from $4.95 to $2.95. I am sold. I was surprised to see in the August issue that early model was still being advertised.

OK Chris go ahead and slide your almost new wheels on the nearly new rear axle bolted to what appears to be a new kart. Make sure it goes on very easy and also slides over that piece of key stock on the axle. Run that big nut down snug.

You can use a wrench or just put some hand muscle to it. Wait a minute, you dont have any real muscles yet, so better use the wrench. Choke up on the wrench so you dont have any leverage. But only run it up until the nut stops. It doesnt need to be like actually tight.

The next important thing is to roll the axle over and look closely at the wheel. Make sure that wheel is running straight and true. If you are satisfied, go ahead and tighten up those three small bolts in the center.

He grabbed the wheel spinning it over. Wow this axle sure runs free. Looking closely while it was spinning, Chris asked, What happens if the wheel is not running straight? How am I supposed to fix that?

There are a couple of ways you can do it Chris, assuming the wheel is not bent. First you can try just popping the tire with your hand or using a mallet. Sometimes the wheel only needs a little bit of coaxing to find its happy spot. You might not always be able to get it perfect, but closer the better.

Tapping on the wheel is another way. Use a rubber hammer or rawhide mallet. Maybe even the wooden handle of some tool. Just be careful you dont hit it very hard. Only light taps with something besides a steel hammer. That is the wrong tool to use around those wheels or any wheels for that matter. With some patience along with a little bit of practice, most any wheel that is not all jacked up will run almost perfectly true.

When spinning them over look where the high side is. It should be the opposite on the other wheel half. So the high side, that is where you tap down. Dont get crazy. Take your time and everything will go together the way you want it to. You get impatient or frustrated, things always end up broken. So dont do that. Well that is the problem Steve has sometimes.

Now for your front wheels. It does not matter if using Timken bearings or sealed ball bearings, go ahead and tighten the wheels only using your hand. But do get it snugged up really good for now. Go thru the same process like on your rear wheels. Spin, tap, spin, then tighten the three bolts.

After you are satisfied with the front wheels running true, adjust that nut like we already talked about. You got all of that Chris?

Got it covered Terry. I will put the front wheels on and make sure they are running true. Then adjust the wheel nut just like you showed me.

Attached Files
.jpg   Azusa ad Aug 1961.jpg (Size: 530.87 KB / Downloads: 128)
.jpg   Azusa varihub.jpg (Size: 401.13 KB / Downloads: 127)
.jpg   Azusa VARI-HUB MARK II A.jpg (Size: 226.55 KB / Downloads: 129)
Chapter 103

I have been noticing the more Chris works with the tools, just how much better he is at using them. He picks up how to do things really quick. Then even improving on that. Not trying to make it easier for himself or take less time, but doing everything smarter.

There are plenty of ways to do the things I have showed him that takes less time. But it would be useless for him unless understanding why he was doing the work a certain way to begin with.

While Chris was messing with the front wheels I thought about yesterday how quickly he disassembled the kart after we had test fitted everything. He placed all of the parts out in order making it very easy for him to put his kart back together using the correct nuts and bolts.

Most of the time when I tear anything apart, all of the pieces just get dumped together. Every one of the nuts, bolts, just whatever small pieces there are. The reason I like doing it this way is to keep my mind focused so I know how things go back together.

When reassembling whatever is being worked on, I have to remember exactly what parts fit where, and which nuts or bolts are used on what parts. Maybe more of a challenge for me than anything else.

So after we stripped the frame back down yesterday, the bearing hangers finally got permanently welded in place. I also added some new mounting bosses that set the pedals slightly higher than they were originally done on his frame. I thought it would be a good idea to have a couple of positions so Chris could adjust them to his liking too.

These pedals are short, just like the ones on Franks kart. Well except they are made of steel plates welded together instead of being cast aluminum. With them being so short they could get caught under the tie-rods. I remember this happening to Franks kart after he did such an expert job setting it up so well. Raising the pedals slightly higher or just moving back would solve the problem completely. With the pedals raised up also makes it so much easier to depress them with your foot.

When I was setting up to weld everything, Chris got totally focused on what was happening. Then he asked all kinds of questions I did not have much in the way of answers for. I did explain, best to my limited knowledge, the process of using an arc welder, or stick rod as my grandpa always called it.

Chris wanted to watch me as the welding was done. I didnt have another welding hood, but there was that set of goggles with a really dark lens. They was completely useless to weld with. Just some old ancient dinosaur from yesteryear, but would be good enough to watch without him messing up his eyes.

This brought back the dark and painful memory of burning my eyes. It was only two months ago when holding things in place while dad welded the new Cates copy together for me. I was making sure Chris did not make the same mistakes I did. That painful experience is nothing I would want Chris or anyone else to ever have to go thru.

Thinking about the crusty scratchy feeling in my eyes and not being able to see is sort of scary to think about right now. What if that is all it took to become permanently blind? Something to keep in my head so that never happens again.

When Chris got up and close watching me weld, I stopped and explained what he was doing is what he should not be doing. With that old crappy welding goggle, you had to put it in front of your face and hold there. It was difficult to see where to look until after the welding started.

At first Chris didnt cover his eyes until I already arced the rod and welding. I immediately stopped, then told him to keep his eyes covered or go wait outside until I was finished.

He seemed offended and didnt understand the problem until I explained how easy it was to burn his eyes. I learned the hard way. Even doing the same thing he was right now with the same goggles too.

I still dont think he realized that his eyes could actually have blisters all over just from looking at something so bright. It is not worth it Chris, take my word on this. It is very painful and being blind for a few days sucks big time.

Chris also asked if it would be any trouble for him to try doing a practice weld. He was very interested in finding out what it was like. I gave him a choice. We can stay focused on getting your kart finished or take a break and try running some beads on a piece of scrap metal.

It was not that I was getting tired of Chris being here. That is just the opposite. I really enjoy his company and how eager he is to learn to do things. But I am way past ready for his kart to be finished and move on to getting all three of our karts up and running so we can hit the track again.

At first I had not expected his kart to be anywhere near close to ready and all put back together this quickly. He sure got busy and rounded up everything needed in the way of parts in no time. Like in only a few days. That was amazing. But now his kart is so, well, just about finished. I want to fast forward this and get all three karts done then ready for another practice day soon as possible.

Now that his kart is almost finished, I can get back working on the other karts. There are a zillion things still needing to be dealt with. Then the engines also have to be checked over. Grinding the intake manifolds out more for the bigger carburetor should have already been done. Oh crap, I still need to modify two more carburetors. Add that to the list.

OK Terry, I got the front wheels on and now adjusting the big castle nut. So first I run it down tight as possible with my fingers. Back it off, then tight again. Rotate backwards just enough to line up a cotter pin hole. Check for proper side play. From what I understand when you were telling me, it is just barely enough to feel if moving the wheel sideways. Make sure the wheel spins freely the same as the other side.

While I watched closely as Chris was reassembling his kart, I told him to stop. One more very important thing is missing. There are no dust shields on your front wheel bearings.

Wont these old flat washers right here work, Terry?

I looked over at the ones in his pile of parts. They were regular thick stamped out washers that fit very loosely on the spindle. But I had a better idea and this would be a lot more precision.

Chris, I got a great idea, if you dont mind the extra time and work it will take.

Sure, if you think it is better.

I went digging in my my big bucket of spare nuts, bolts, washers and anything related. There should be a bunch of large fender washers in here somewhere. Finally I picked out four matching very large thin washers. These are a lot thinner than the standard flat washers. Unfortunately they only have a small 3/8 inch hole in the center.

You can use these washers here Chris. They will work much better. These are just a hair smaller than the outer bearing race. That works out perfect.

Those washers wont fit my spindles. The hole is way too small.

That is why you are going to use the Craftsman lathe again. Then bore them out just big enough to fit perfectly on your spindle.

The reason for using these is the diameter is a lot larger and nearly covers over the bearing completely. This closes up the gap so less crap can get in there. But we have to do some work to make them fit. If it is too much trouble then use those other ones. But if it was my kart.........

You know I still dont know anything about using your lathe. So you have to show me how or let me watch. But I think it is worth doing everything the best way possible, even when it takes more time. I want my kart to be right as I can make it with your help.

I gave Chris the basics about running the lathe earlier. But without being around one before, it would not do much good making him run it. So I went thru each step it took to set up these washers in the chuck then drilling out the hole. The last step is setting up a small boring bar to machine for a perfect fit and running dead true. I guess using a reamer here instead might work just as well.

Wow Terry, that sure is a lot of work just to make a thin washer. But it does look a bunch better than those other ones. So this is almost like we did the lock collars, but like drilling out instead of cutting off. Then using a different kind of cutter to finish the hole instead of just a drill bit.

Just think Chris, a few years ago you would have to almost make every part if wanting to build a kart from scratch. I guess that really is building one from scratch. This is before there were shops making the parts like are used on most karts these days.

Is that all we need to do to those washers? Can I finish putting the front wheels on now?

Uh, maybe use some Emory cloth to clean the hole of any burrs or sharp edge. That edge can cut like a jagged razor blade right now. After you clean them up then yes go ahead. But look at your old washers first. Those are wheelbarrow parts. These you just made are racing kart parts.

OK so after they are put on, I install the cotter pin and bend the longer end tightly up against the spindle. Cut off the ends sticking above and below the castle nut. Is that right?

You got it right Chris. Good job. Your kart looks great right now. We need to take a picture. But think I am out of film again. It was used up at the races. But I didnt take that many shots last night. Some reason I am completely out of pictures on the roll. Dont remember if there is another roll or not. Oh well, I will bring the camera when we go to the track next time.

Hey Terry, did we forget to put grease in the bearings? Isnt that what you are supposed to do? Or can I run them the way they are right now?

No grease, it causes way too much drag. My dad explained all of that to me during the summer when putting my kart back together. Grab the squirt can over there on the work bench and just put a few drops of motor oil on them now. Then each night at the races add only one or two drops. Wipe off any excess with a rag. That is all you need to do and they will last for ever.

Oh, OK, I see now. Basically the same thing we did on the rear axle bearings. It all makes sense, now that I realize what we did earlier. These Timken bearings are really just a different type. The bearings on the rear axle had round balls, instead of the tapered rollers.

Wow I had no idea there was so much different stuff like that. Both of the bearings basically do the same thing but completely different in how they are designed. I have heard of Timken bearings before. If I guess they designed the tapered ones, would that be right?

Hey Chris, do you know what a facial tissue is?

Well, uh I guess something made special for like actors to remove makeup and stuff? Is that right? I dont really know for sure. Nothing I ever thought about. What does that have to do with my kart?

Chris, do you know what a Kleenex is?

What is this 50 questions? Of course I do. What does this have to do with my kart?

I handed Chris a beat up worn out battered, that has seen better days, box of Kleenex.

What are those for? Do I need to clean my face or something like that?

No Chris, nothing will help all that dirt on you anyway. What does it say on the box? Those tiny letters under the name.

Kleenex, uh, it says facial tissue. Oh that is what you mean. I understand now. Well sort of. But not sure what that has to do with my kart.

Chris it has nothing to do with your kart. But did you just learn something you had only assumed?

Yea I guess I did learn something. But it still made more sense when I thought it had something to do with my kart.
Chapter 104

It was later in the afternoon already. We missed lunch and stayed focused on getting this kart finished today. Chris was still more than motivated to see it thru to the end. Well to the end of the day today. By now Chris was doing all of the small things to finish it out. Most of the little stuff he was comfortable doing without so much oversight.

While he stayed busy on his kart, I was thinking about setting up the lathe to bore out a few more carburetors. It would be cool for Chris to take the time watching how to modify one of these. But if there is any chance of his kart getting finished today, time was running short.

So far since Chris has been working on his kart the last two weekends, he managed to rip his shirt, and tore a chunk out of his blue jeans. He found out really quick the dangers or wearing long sleeve shirts when using certain tools. On the first day when we were still tearing down the kart, Chris managed to poke a hole in his finger. Well really just a small scratch when attempting to remove one of the cotter pins. He slipped up when trying to bend it straight with the wire cutters. He slipped and caught the sharp end of that cotter pin with his pointer finger.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5010]

What really surprised me is that he didnt make a big deal out of dripping blood all over the floor. I was even more surprised when he grabbed a roll of masking tape from the workbench, wrapping a piece around his finger, then getting right back to work.

If Steve had done this, he would be milking it for all that it was worth. Especially if helping me work on something of mine. If it was his project, then maybe not so much. I remember one time I slammed down a sledge hammer then screaming at the top of my lungs. I flung some ketchup and it landed all over Steve. He was covered in blood, well what he assumed to be my blood.

I had never seen him get so ghost like pale and weak in the knees. I thought he was really going to pass out after thinking all of that blood was real and mine. I was holding my hand still screaming and dancing all around acting like it was seriously painful. While watching him almost faint from the sight of the fake blood. He had to sit down before he fell over.

Steve later told me it wasnt the sight of the blood that messed him up so much as thinking how bad I might have been hurt. Like lopping off my finger or cutting a major blood vessel. After one of those Red Cross First Aid courses, he was afraid of having to put on a tourniquet. Then having me pass out from blood loss. So was I supposed to feel guilty now?

I remember something last year when just hanging out with some friends a street over. We really didnt have much in common, just the local neighborhood gang. David Jez was only a year younger than me. We were playing heads or tales and I had dropped that quarter on the ground. 

We were both shuffling around trying to grab it. David slipped and his knee slid across the rough concrete on the sidewalk. I stood there checking out the minor damage looking down at a small scrape that just started to creep out a single drop of blood.

After seeing himself bleeding out, David had collapsed to both of his knees then layed over to one side and hit the ground hard. He was out flat not moving. Just like someone killed him. Except there was no gun shot.

I didnt realize at the time he fainted at the very sight of blood. Fortunately the next door neighbor knew him very well. She was a few years older than us and used to baby sit him and his younger brother Eric.

She immediately realized what happened. Then managed to carry him into his house and put him to bed. She came out and explained to me what the deal was.

He was coming around now, but not likely feeling up to resuming whatever we were doing any time soon. This was a first for me. I had no idea people could faint from just the sight of blood.

As many times me and Steve have scratched, gouged, ripped, and even had to be stitched back together over the last few years, that would be a lot of fainting sessions.

Last spring after the little fiasco at Fabens, I looked like a train wreck, according to Steve when we went to the Circle Grill. I had to go clean up at his insistence before we sat down to eat. He said my appearance completely killed his appetite.

There was dried blood all over my body. That cut on my forehead with butterfly bandage, and those scrapes looked more like some Halloween makeup job. My clothes were torn and dirty matching my body just the same.

Then a few weeks ago when we were at Fabens for the second practice. I got flipped over Franks kart when the engine dieseled and started up backwards causing me to get thrown over it. That really hurt. I was scarred up for nearly a week before everything started growing back. There was scrapes under my clothes I didnt even find out about until the next day.

It was last winter when Steve tried to drill a hole thru his finger and actually succeeded too. Fortunately he was using a very small drill bit. He jerked his hand back so hard from the pain the drill bit broke off. 

A couple days before this little stunt Steve had smashed his finger helping out his dad installing some cabinets at a job. He was complaining non-stop about the throbbing and pressure he felt on that one now very black fingernail. I told him drilling a hole thru it would relieve the pressure. But I didnt think he would clamp up his finger in a vice then use the drill press actually doing it that way.

The remains of that broken drill bit was sticking out both sides of his finger. I kept trying to calm him down so it could be pulled out. He was dancing and squirming all around not to mention yelling all kinds of obscenities.

I grabbed his hand and quickly removed the broken drill bit with pliers. This should have been thought thru a little bit better before proceeding, but the drill bit was removed. That fingernail well it was mostly removed too.

The only really stupid thing Chris has done so far, is wrapping up his tee shirt in the hand drill that had a small grinding wheel attached. As the tee shirt coiled up tight, his finger was also stuck keeping the drill running.

I was laughing so hard until realizing he wasnt seeing the fun in that. I unplugged the drill since his hand was wrapped up like a mummy. This gave him a scare more than anything. So it took a moment to get him to calm down so we could unwind everything.

Now Sunday evening has made its debut and time for Chris to call it quits. Fish came over and was amazed to see the kart finished and looked almost brand new. He was sold. The only thing left to do is work on the engine. I would keep it here, but the kart was now getting loaded up and leaving.

After Chris finished up with everything he thanked me about ten times, then thanked me a few more times. Terry, you dont know how much I appreciate all of your help. I know I was a big pain in the butt being here all weekend, but so happy how well my kart turned out.

Before they drove off, Chris went inside and thanked my mom for allowing him to come over and hang out with everyone for the whole weekend. He hung his head out the window of the truck and told me he left a box in the garage. I asked if he wanted me to go grab it real quick before they left.

Nope Terry, I left it there on purpose. What is inside wont come close to paying you for all of the help on my kart. But it is something I think you can use. Thanks again, and good night. They drove off down the street and out of sight.

Right then I realized there was nothing left to do. Steve had already gone home and I was out here all alone. There was now a feeling of emptiness when everything just stopped and got boring. All that time and work we did just finished up like flipping off a light switch.

I went back in the now very quiet garage. It is amazing how much activity there was just a few minutes before. We had been working all day making plenty of noise. Now everything is finished done and gone. Parking myself down at the desk I was almost feeling like an adrenaline rush was crashing.

This reminded me every time I went to the track. Didnt matter if I was watching, practicing or actually racing. Even tho the racing has only happened once. You get that excitement going and it stays there the whole time. Right up until the last kart engine is killed and then comes the silence. This is when everything in your mind crashes. Everything just stops. You are now done, the day is over.

Sitting on the desk was the August issue of Karting World. I had intended on reading this cover to cover, like all of the other issues sitting around here. Too much focus on the karts over the last couple of weeks has kept me distracted and from stretching out and enjoying what is in this issue.

There was a decent write up on modifying the Power Products AH-58. Another article covering a new to the karting scene engine, one Cary 94. This engine looks more like something off of an Italian motor scooter. It is supposed to put out 8 hp at 7000 rpm. Wow, that would be cool with so much power to put down on the track. It had some oddball Delorto carburetor that sure looks very complicated. Well compared to what is being used on most kart engines I have seen at the track.

What really caught my attention was on the next page after that engine analysis. The Fox Mak-Kart, KART TEST #26. This is nothing like the previous model Mak-Kart. The only similarity is in the name. This frame sort of follows the lines of the Go-kart 800, but with some very major and obvious differences.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5011]

One big noticeable difference is the seat. Instead of having a welded in sheet metal tub, there is a full form fitting fiberglass seat. Wow, another kart using a fiberglass seat like on the Cates kart. Maybe this is something that will become the standard. Who really knows?

Something else different from the Go-kart 800 is the steering hoop is very narrow. I like the looks and benefit of this on karts. I figure more of them will be coming this way. Sure makes sense to me.

The real big shocker is the front end is slightly extended putting the tie rods out of the way behind the front axle and below the steering shaft. The main rails are longer by a little bit with the dropped front axle angled a lot farther back than what is normally seen on most conventional kart frames. This is one way to extend the frame and keep the wheelbase short.

So now the kart has adequate leg room, plenty of clearance with the steering components, and the wheel base is not any longer for everything to fit nicely between. The wheelbase is only 42 1/2 inches. This is shorter than the Go-kart 800 and a lot shorter than Franks Dart proto special wannabe Super K sometimes kart.  

After a few minutes of fumbling thru the kart magazine, I was now feeling bummed out being all alone, but my curiosity got the best of me. I started thinking about that big box sitting over in the corner left here by Chris. I wonder what he meant about something I could use?

Attached Files
.jpg   Cut finger.jpg (Size: 714.6 KB / Downloads: 109)
.jpg   FOX Mak kart Aug 1961 Karting World p3.jpg (Size: 478.9 KB / Downloads: 105)
Chapter 105

Before getting up off my butt to see what is in that box that Chris had left for me, I started thinking about everything else that needed to be done before we could go to the track again. One thing I kept forgetting about was to make sure Frank changed over that cheesy steering shaft on his super duper Dart kart special.

Frank had not done anything that I had seen or he even mentioned about when me and Chris visited last week. So I should make a point to drop in and suggest he order those parts. Since he is in so tight with Mickey Rupp, or Mic as he calls him, that should not be a problem. But just because Frank talks a big game, doesnt make him a player.

If he could get those parts ordered and delivered quick enough, then maybe I can stop by again and help him change it all out. This way he does not show up at the track with a box full of parts again. Like last time he was thinking it would only take a few minutes to snug up some bolts. No more work than like changing a spark plug. Yea right.

That first practice day Frank showed up with his kart not anywhere near ready to take a lap. But much more like needing to be completely assembled. It was not even ready enough if he was just pushing it around for a parade lap. The engine had only been loosely bolted on.

Frank never set anything else up. The fuel line, throttle linkage, sprocket, or even the chain. He had done nothing but place a box full of parts down in the seat. I spent a good 30 minutes beating on his kart trying to assemble all of the loose parts.

After the kart was ready, Frank did not even remember to bring gas. That sure would have been a waste. Heck he didnt think to bother checking over the carburetor. "Oh it was set right the last time he had it out". So he says. Yea right! But the last time was over a year ago in Ohio and on another kart.

He was ready to just zip right out there on the track. The engine running so lean, it was racing up and would not even idle down. I doubt it would have made too many laps before seizing the piston. With the engine cold and him being impatient, it may not have even made it out of the pits. That would have been the pits for him.

I realize dealing with Frank has become an obligation. But without him I would not have been able to practice those two days we spent out at the track. So the only thing I can do is keep Frank motivated and get his kart a little bit closer to being ready when he decides to actually race one of these nights.

There is one very big positive side to this. I have been getting a bunch of hands on experience working on Franks kart. Now I have a much better idea of what to expect after making changes to my kart. Especially what to check over after each practice session.

So when we finally make our next race, I will have a good idea of what needs to be inspected between each heat race. Keep a good log on everything that is done to build up a data base for future reference. Just like Mr. Pennington had mentioned to me about after looking over my notes last summer about the Clinton flywheels.

If Frank looses interest, I loose my nanny to keep tabs on us at the track so we get to practice. Frank says he works four tens at his job. That translated to me he has Fridays off. This ends up working out perfect for us. Well it did during the summer. Now that school has started, much chance of a practice day on Friday is not so likely.

There are some Fridays we are off from school. Something about teachers meetings on these days, what ever that means. I guess they sit around complaining about all of their unruly students that dont want to learn anything. But the next available Friday coming up, I need to make sure everything is ready or will loose another chance to get out there again.

The more I push Frank to get his kart set up, the more likely he will make it out to the track and actually race. As of right now I dont understand why he has not bothered yet ordering the parts or made any attempt to make a race night.

If he does show up one night at the track, I doubt he would be anywhere near ready to just unload, fill up with gas and race. So far, since I first met him, Frank has been all talk and no action. The few times he actually worked on his kart turned out to be a disaster for him and nearly fatal for me.

I wanted to see what Chris had left for me in the box, but right now it is still early enough to make a quick trip over to Franks house. I sort of figured Chris didnt want any of the old parts we had taken off his kart. So he left all of the left overs for me.

Right now my thoughts were more focused on motivating Frank to get the parts he needs ordered quick enough. Then maybe I wont get stuck at the track working on his kart again. I grabbed up the August issue of Karting World then headed over to Franks.

I did not realize how tired my body was after pedaling over to his house. Then remembered me and Chris never took a lunch break. OK at least drink a big glass of water when I get to Franks house. I already know he would offer me a cold beer.

Yea right, just what I need on an empty stomach and not even having anything to drink today either. Nah, dont think so. Maybe I can mooch a Coke or something from him. There are usually a few in his fridge. I have an empty feeling in my stomach and dont think it just from lack of food.

While riding over to his house something funny popped in my head. Frank could probably save a lot of money moving in to his garage, then renting out his house to someone else. So far I have never come over here to find him any place but in the garage or the one time working in his yard.

Well the first time I did come over here, he just about scared the crap out of me jumping from no where in particular. He thought I was trying to sneak in his garage to steal something. He was waiting and ready to take me down. Good thing for those lightning fast reflexes of his.

Today as usual Frank had beer in one hand, but talking into a microphone with the other one. That is different. I guess no self help tapes today. Maybe he is making his own this time. Or maybe he is recording his memoirs to eventually write an autobiography. You know that would sell at least one copy. Frank would buy it for sure. Just to find out everything he has done in his life.

Hey Frank, you busy? DO WHAT? I CANT HEAR YOU! Then take the plug out of your ear, Frank. Hold on dang it. I got this plug in my ear making it hard to hear you. Now thats better. So what brings you over today? If you were planning to tear my kart all apart again, it aint happening.

Oh yea junior, you forgot to put the wheel back on my kart. I would have been awful mad at you if going back out to the track and not realize it was still off. Did you ever think about that? Totally irresponsible if you ask me.

Well Frank, then I wont ask you. I sure would be mad at myself too if I was not aware that a wheel was missing on my kart until I got to the track. I would almost be doing you a favor by leaving the wheel off the way I see it. This is when Frank then did the adult thing and stuck his tongue out at me.

You know Frank, I am really offended that you would even think I forgot something like putting your wheel back on. I can guarantee you right now, I did not forget. I just didnt feel like putting it back on.

Anyways Frank, tonight I thought about helping you with the upgrades on your kart, but doubt very seriously the parts have even been ordered yet. It is just a special sense I have. You see, I know these things about people. It is a gift. Sort of like your eagle eye vision or those lightning fast reflexes.

I doubt Frank could tell I was being sarcastic, but it is funny to me. Hey Frank, where are all of your new parts anyway? Lets get busy already before the sun comes up. I dont have all night to stand around here wasting my time. Time is money you know.

Why dont you refresh my memory? Just so we are on the same page about the upgrades you are talking about. What exactly am I supposed to have ready to change over on my kart? If I remember correctly my kart was working just fine that last trip out. And to confirm this, we spent all that time getting it set up just right. Then even putting like a hundred laps on my kart. I dont remember there being any complaints afterwards either.

Geez Frank, you must be getting senile already. Or maybe have brain mash from all the beer you drink. I remember it being slightly different than your version.

Hey, hey, dont be knocking my one hobby I can enjoy from the first gulp. And dont knock it until you have tried it either. I sure dont have sponge on the brain. Just might have slipped my mind about whatever you are referring to.

Well dont you remember all of the things we talked about after your kart got fixed again. This time the right way. OK, maybe not the right way for that overpriced engineers brain you got. You know from your store bought education and everything. But the right way for your kart to actually make a lap without killing someone. Namely me.

I thought you were going to get a new shaft and a decent steering wheel ordered. You know something big enough to get a good grip on? And one large enough to make it easier to steer. If you already forgot everything, then get a pencil and make a list.

Fair enough, it might have slipped my mind about that. I was so glad the frame was not sprung as I first thought. It is likely after all of those laps, the frame de-stressed enough so most of the trouble worked itself out.

You know Frank, I am going to ignore what you just said. My simple brain is having trouble translating any of it. Maybe you have been drinking too many beers to still be coherent. But how about humoring me and jotting down a list of things to pick up for your kart. Just for gits and chiggles.

Whatever will shut you up. OK, so what do you think I need for my race kart? Oh first thing, you mind getting me a refill?

Oh sure Frank, I do mind. But can you actually multi-task? Like drink a cold beer while jotting down your list. Be sure to breathe sometime between all that hard work, OK? That sure is impressive. So I went over to his fridge to grab him another cold beer.

Hey Frank, mind if I snag up a coke? Sure kid, just be sure to leave a dime on the desk here. After handing Frank a beer, a cold one, I flipped up a small washer that was sitting on his work bench. Frank used his fast reflexes to snap the washer out of thin air.

Instead of catching it, the washer went sailing right out the garage. Sorry about that Frank, but thought those lightning fast reflexes of yours were up to the challenge. So my bad. Frank just barked back, WOOF, WOOF, woof. Then turned up his beer. After an annoyingly loud belch exited his big mouth, I told him what that over engineered brain of his had completely forgotten about.

So Frank, we talked about replacing this steering shaft with a new one that is legal for next year. You will have to do it if planning on racing anyway. Go ahead and replace that wimpy steering wheel. It is way to small to hold on to or even get a good feel for how the kart responds thru the turns. Besides it wont fit the new shaft.

You have at least three choices on steering wheels. Chris put a Covico on his kart. He liked it better than that new one from Azusa. So that would be choice one and two. Or stick with the Dart steering wheel. From the pictures in those ads, that is one nice looking steering wheel.

Oh yea, about your dinky cast aluminum pedals. You might check on the new ones that come on the A-bone now. I could possibly make a set for you, but they surely cant be all that expensive. Especially for the time involved to hand build you a pair. So a complete waste of my time to do that much hard labor.

Add a couple of new chains to your list. Maybe consider a First Aid Kit for my own safety too. Just saying. If you really want to clean up your kart, maybe consider replacing these homemade looking motor mounts with the production ones. The new ones look a whole lot better, and probably lighter too. But your kart here is a prototype, so that might make a difference I guess.

I know this is reaching on thinking something you would even consider, but... The new A-Bones are a lot shorter than your kart. It would not take too much effort, in my opinion, to cut the bearing hangers off and move them forward. But you should check all of that out yourself before committing on it first.

After a lot of digging in some of my magazines I am fairly certain your proto type kart was made even before the Super K model. Since you bought it late last year, that sort of makes sense. I just measured the wheelbase here and it is the same as the very first Super K karts that were made. Just a few things to put some deep thought into, Frank.
Chapter 106

Frank, even tho your kart handles decent enough right now, it is a good time to consider those upgrades. Just do it all at once. I noticed a little scrape on your frame right there. It looks just like the scrape I saw in a picture where the HOTROD magazine had done a track test on the first Super K.

Just think Frank, not only is your kart a prototype, it could be the very same one they tested. This could make your kart worth a fortune. Well possibly in about 60 years. Maybe you should wrap it up real good. Then store it in your attic for the next half century. Wadda you think?

Frank only gave me the reverse of some rude hand gesture. It wont take any imagination to guess as to which one. I didnt react to it, since not familiar with yankee sign language. But figured to mean about the same as the other one.

Oh yea Frank, one more thing while it is on my mind. Thanks for helping out Chris last week. He made his own bearing hangers from that template and his kart is actually finished. So now he is waiting on me to do some improvements to his engine before we can get to the track just yet.

Who is Chris? Is it someone I know? I dont know anyone by that name. So why would I do a favor for someone I dont even know? How dumb do you think I am anyway?

Gee Frank, I am not going to touch that one. But Chris is my other friend that came over with me last week when we tore your kart all to pieces as you claim. I just wanted to thank you for him since without making those bearing hangers, we would still be waiting on the order to be delivered. That is if he bought new ones instead of making his own.

Right now I cant think if there was any other parts we talked about. But sure with that engineers mind of yours, you will remember everything else sooner or later. But probably not until after you already placed your order.

Since you dont care to remember that Chris came over last week, I will tell you what we did anyway. He has an older model that what we think is a Simplex kart. It is definitely not a Challenger. But most of the parts appear to be made by Simplex.

It originally had a dead axle. We converted over to a live axle and even adjusted the front end geometry so it might even handle now. The steering shaft was just a welded up piece of 3/4 inch tubing, so had to be changed out just like on your kart. After some other minor adjustments, the frame was painted and finally ready to assemble.

Chris stayed focused on his kart this whole weekend and got it all put back together with very little help from me. I hope all of the improvements dont mess up the kart like what happened to yours. You know since we didnt have much for a jig to set it up in. But maybe it will settle down after some track time like you think that your frame did and be just fine. Who knows.

Well I am not a big believer in doing those types of upgrades on frames that were never engineered to be that way. That chassis was designed around a positive engagement single locking wheel. Converting over like you said, may very likely be the worse mistake you ever made.

Frank why do you always think like that? Cant you just say chain drive or dead axle like most other knuckle heads like you label everyone as? And besides, most of last years karts were just the older models upgraded instead of totally redesigned. But there are some really cool new karts that have come out this year.

I have noticed some of them follow a similar layout. There are still plenty of under the axle frames. But right now it seems a lot of the new ones are going frame over the axle with a sort of drop down seat box. But the Cates is the only one I have seen anywhere racing for a while so far with a fiberglass bucket seat.

Frank what would you think of a flat frame with axle mounted above but using a fiberglass bucket seat instead of a built in style? Do you think it would even work? Or am I missing something?

Yea, I say you are missing something. The current trend of frame over axle is something that is just the next generation of karts. A more professional level build too. I expect this is the direction it will continue and just get better. A new proven design that is going to become the standard in future chassis development.

Frank something else I have noticed too. Well it went real trendy last year, then sort of fizzled out. They were calling it the forward look. A whole bunch of newly designed frames with live axles, had sort of moved the driver forward. Maybe to better suit different engines behind the seat. I dont really know the reason, just guessing.

Most of these karts have extended the frame in front of the axle. The steering support seems to be going to the narrow type, so your knees are not all bent up so much. I mean it doesnt affect me right now, since I am not very tall yet. But for bigger drivers it makes sense to have some more leg room. I sure would not be comfortable all scrunched up trying to get the kart around the track licking my kneecaps doing it.

Some of the karts looked cool and well thought out. But if I made one like those, it makes sense to keep the wheelbase short as possible. Then just add enough length, in front of the axle for your legs to be more comfortable. You know sort of like a front porch on the kart. This is a good description of it.

This small extension really doesnt even need to be wide as the main frame rails. But by moving your body weight forward slightly shouldnt hurt handling, since it puts more weight on the front wheels. Could you now get away with less caster or king pin inclination if there is more weight on the front end?

The one thing I really like about the extended front rails is allowing all of the steering parts to sit behind the front axle and completely out of the way. So Frank what am I missing on all of this?

Well just from bench racing it sounds all well and good. But you dont see the fastest teams and karts out there right now set up anything like you are talking about. That should be your first warning. With the steering mounted behind the front axle could completely mess up your geometry.

I would have to crunch the numbers to figure just how bad it might be, but that just takes too much time. There are just too many variables needed to factor in making it even more complex. I would think since the fastest karts running have not moved in that direction sort of proves the idea is a complete failure.

One more serious thing you are completely overlooking. Your feet are totally exposed that way. Did you ever stop to think of that? At least before the steering components helped protect your feet. This "NEW" way (Yes Frank did use hand quotes when saying this) you are so excited about sure puts you feet in real danger. Imagine all of the foot and leg injuries at one of the more professional sanctioned races that could happen. You just dont think.

Wow, Frank, a lot of kart manufacturers are already adding front bumpers. Would that not solve the problem now? Not only protecting your feet, but also no longer tearing up your tie rods either. What am I missing here again Frank?

One more thing Frank, my Cates kart uses a fiberglass seat. Oh yea it also has a front bumper too. Since you are knocking some of the new style frame designs. No other kart since it came out two years ago until just recently does. It is also cut and welded square tubing. I dont see other kart manufacturers moving that direction. Does that make it a complete failure?

Did mine or Steves kart have any issues handling? I sure dont remember you barking a single complaint about either of them. After a few squirrely laps, you sure seemed to adapt to the differences on how it drives compared to what you are used to driving. I sure dont have to throw my body around to make it handle like you keep trying on every lap in your kart.

I never told you this, but the fastest lap times you have turned out at the track is on my kart. You were telling me how fast your kart was going to be, but was not nearly fast as when you were following Steve driving my kart.

Once again you are only thinking things thru with incomplete data. I may have been faster on your kart. But you claim that is only when I was following your buddy, Sturgen. You didnt factor in I was drafting him in order to run that fast. Not so smart without taking in all of the factors which allowed that to happen. Incomplete facts lead to incorrect conclusions.

But Frank, when you were driving your own kart, the lap times were slower when following Steve. His name is not Sturgen. But you know that. After he passed you, then you pulled in behind, your times did get much better after a few laps. But you even improved your times after driving my kart later in the day.

Again I have to make a correction kid. I followed your buddy, to get more acquainted with the track. It is always easier to follow someone than to lead. He cuts a big hole in the air and my speed increases a lot. Once I was more familiar with the layout, naturally my times would drop substantially. I told you I have a lot of driving experience. Just need a few laps on a new track and I can get really fast.

You may not even know this, but I was pushing your buddy Stefan hard, making him drive faster than he was running before. As I got acclimated to the track, my times dropped substantially. I can tell within a second how fast my times are. I could have almost passed him just about anywhere on the track. But I wanted to get back used to driving in traffic, not just take the lead and run away with it.

That is how you become a good and fast racer by adapting to all types of situations. I thought by now you would have figured that out for yourself. I also told you with some good advice from me, I could really help Stofer improve his driving. I can see a lot of minor mistakes he is making when pushing him really hard like I was doing during that last practice.

You know Frank......? Oh heck never mind, I give up. Maybe you can confirm all of this the next time we make it out there to practice. I am ready to start keeping accurate time sheets on everything we change out or adjust. After I get Chris comfortable on his kart, then we can all run a bunch of laps together swapping places like when really racing.    

Well Jerry, uh junior, like I am going to keep telling you, take my advice. With some slight adjustments to your buds kart, uh his name is Stanley, yea that is right, I can make his kart a lot faster. I know what I am talking about here. It was off just enough that I could see the difference. When you are ready to really make that kart handle, just let me know. After all of the time I have put in to racing, it is easy for me to troubleshoot a chassis with only a few laps put on any track.

I think one more test session out there I will have most of the bugs worked out and my kart will be impressive. But I will check in to getting those parts ordered. I dont think I need everything, but will give it some thought.

So I guess you have a reason to try talking me into shortening the wheelbase on my kart now. Maybe you think I would just buy new parts, then let you have the old ones that get cut off. See I am not so gullible like you think. I know your angle there. I bet you would be very surprised if I managed to cut those old hangers off and reuse them. That should put the fire out on your little sneaky plan.

Oh yea, you got me there Frank. Always a step ahead of me. You got it all worked out too. You dont let mushrooms grow between your toes. Nope not at all. But I was going to suggest you try to save the old hangers, in case you didnt want to buy new ones. I dont think it would be too hard to cut them off and reuse. The frame is what will get sacrificed to save the hangers. It is getting cut shorter anyway, so it should be easy enough to reuse the old ones.

Well thanks for the Frank coke, ha-ha. I also need to go back to the track again. Soon as I know when the next Friday is available, will let you know. I have to set things up so all three of us get out there this time, so I have to rely on you to be already there when we arrive.

The last time out there I drug my feet long as possible when unloading. I had assured my mom you would be arriving long before we were planning on showing up that day. She was not too happy about seeing no one else at the track when we pulled in.

I also want to make sure your kart is ready to push up and drive this time. With me, Steve, and Chris out there for the next practice, I need to focus of getting them all running right. Chris really needs as much time I can spend with him making sure his kart is handling well. He does not know how a live axle kart even drives.

Now that his kart is changed over, I need to get it handling first before he gets accustomed to driving it. So my kart has to sit while I am working on his. If we got lucky on the axle conversion, the next thing is getting all three of our engines running fast. Well fast for a Clinton. Mainly all three running about the same against each other.      

So do you think that maybe those parts can get ordered like asap? I dont mind coming over here and helping put them on. You can oversee everything I am doing to make sure I dont mess your kart up. The more practice I can get working on karts the more confident I am about everything is being done right. Then our next practice day wont end up in another near disaster. Of course I am only thinking of myself right now.

If there is nothing else Frank, I am out of here. Got school tomorrow and will be busy for the rest of the week. I hope there is some free time after school, well after homework, to get working on the engines. So I will check in next weekend and maybe your parts will be here by then.

It was already way past dark as I returned from Franks house. Seems every time I ride over there it is farther than the last time. Pushing my bike back in the garage, I remembered about the box of parts Chris had mentioned about leaving here for me.

He sort of made a big deal out of this. Told me it was not nearly enough for what he thought was worth all the time and trouble we spent on his kart. Not to mention all of the hands on I spent showing and explaining to him everything I knew about putting his kart back together.

Over there piled up in the corner, I do see his old wheels and tires. I see the left over pieces of his frame. We did cut up the dead axle and weld it across the bearing hangers, ala Dart kart rear bumper style. This also strengthened his frame back to what it was before chopping off that dead axle.

The big brown box is sitting there with the pile of old parts. On top is a small box, after opening, is full of the new engine parts for him. We never talked about what he ended up buying. Something about a box of parts arriving at Pauls shop. There is the new Bradfield rod, and also a Go-Power manifold. I see he also ordered a four petal pyramid reed just like the one I have for my engine.

These parts are perfect to get his engine up to speed. But now that puts Steves engine relying on the stock manifold that we opened up. My first attempt at opening one of these up larger was very successful. But there is so much more it can be enlarged. I guess we focus on getting one of these hogged out to the max. Then maybe find out how well it works up against the Palmini and Go-Power manifolds.

In the box is also his can of Kartane. I wonder if he found out how much to mix up without blowing his engine to smithereens. I looked at the ingredients. Seems it is mostly Nitrobenzene. I know what this stuff smells like. It is very strong and sweet. Makes your eyes water just getting close to the smoke. I have never inhaled it out of the can, only smelled the remains after running thru engines.

When we worked at the track last week, there was only a couple of drivers running this stuff. It was extremely strong smelling. They were running in the dual engine class. When mixed with alcohol, it totally smoked up the hot pit area. The heat race was nearly over before that smoke cleared enough to see again.

My eyes were so watery, it looked like I had been crying the whole time. Chris stayed focused on lining up the karts for the next heat race while tears were running down his face. But it never even slowed him down. Fortunately we only had to put up with it for that one race in each heat.

As I opened up the big brown box, under the first flap was a small piece of paper.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5012]
Thank you note tires pic

As I folded open the other flaps of the box, inside there was a full set of brand new tires. Even without smoke smelling of nitrobenzene filling the air, I felt those tears once again running down my cheeks.

Attached Files
.jpg   Thank you note tires.jpg (Size: 331.61 KB / Downloads: 93)
We knew the tires were coming.  It's still a wonderful story.

Smokey
Chapter 107

It has been a few days already since Chris left last Sunday evening. I made a short trip over to Franks with what I considered a less than successful discussion about making some improvements on his kart that evening.

Sitting out in the garage right now, I was staring over at the box of new tires. I remember seeing Chris fumbling with something before pulling out his set of tires. Maybe that is when he was trying to write the thank you note. Or just placing it in there.

I had been preoccupied with an article in one of the mags on the desk. Mostly boredom since Chris has taken to using tools like a pro. After all of the help, he was now focused on doing everything by himself. I was here now as a consultant. But only if he needed some advice or clarification on something. By this time he was more than capable of doing all of the work without my help.

Some of the rolls of film have come back from the developer. I have tried to add a few pics in the previous pages of my journal. But there isnt enough room to do much good. So thought about adding them with some specifics as they become available. This way the pics may make more sense. I can also add some more detail now having plenty of time to think over everything. Then later if I do a re-write of this gibberish then add the right pics in the right places.

It was about a week and a half now on that Saturday when Chris finished tearing down his kart. Steve had already bailed out after lunch. We talked about which way to go on the bearing hangers. Steve came up with a great idea about tracing out those bearing hangers on Franks deluxe duper super Dart prototype special chassis type racing kart.

I guess you already figured out I like to embellish on about his special kart. I like the way it handles. Well sort of. After doing all that work when we practiced, I thought the kart was somewhat predictable. More so than when Frank attempted his first laps earlier.

But I have only driven one kart before then. Well actually two. The first kart was Mr Cates kart. So I got a good feel for how a kart should handle. But having absolutely no drive time experience limited how much that was even worth.

The next kart is really the same one after we rebuilt the whole frame. But it did have some issues. So I was able to figure out the problem with some help from Steve. Its amazing what we can workout together in the way of problems sometimes.

On that last practice day, I was glad to find out we fixed the problem. Then realizing the difference of new tires and very worn out used tires between our two karts. My kart was slightly loose in every turn. But Steves was much tighter and easier to push it deeper on the faster turns. But did seem to load the engine slightly more when exiting them.

We discovered the trouble on my kart and fixed it with some advice from dad. He is good about showing up when we hit a snag. I mean he is always in and out, involved in most everything I get wrapped up with.

Just realizing now without a lot of his intervention, I would not have a clue how to proceed most of the time. He does make me use my brain, instead of just pointing out the problems. It does get frustrating to me when he dangles the answer out there without actually spilling the beans. But in the end I learn so much more this way because of him.

Steve constantly reminds me all of the stuff he knows how to do because of dad. He spent the time to teach both of us how to weld. Just that it is more convenient for me all the time to practice. Steve prefers that I do most of the welding anyway. But after building up both of the karts, his welding has improved a lot.

For now he mostly either holds things in place or even tack welds. Then for me to finish up the hard part. He always watches me weld. But asking why I sometimes swirl the rod one way sometimes then the other way. Then only dragging it on certain things.

I never thought about how I welded when I did. It is just how I did it. Steve said that was a stupid answer. So I handed him the welding rod and said go figure it out for yourself.

He would try copying the way I was welding. Then after examining his work, could not figure why some of his weld looked decent then other spots looked like crap.

He gave me a frustrated expression. What gives? I told him my hand lets the rod lay down the bead and I just try to keep it going straight while centering it between the two pieces. Aside from that I didnt know what else to tell him.

One day he was going at it cutting a board using a hand saw. When cutting the board, he would move the saw blade at different angles as the teeth were making way thru the plank. I ask him how come he moved the saw at different angles like that.

He said he didnt know what I was talking about. But he just cut the wood the way you are supposed to do it. After so many years working with his dad, it just came natural. The few times I have cut wood when he was here, I could tell he wanted to jump all over me about how I was not cutting it the right way. But he could never explain exactly what I was doing wrong.

So I found out why my film roll was nearly empty when we made it out to the South 77 track. That morning when Chris first started tearing his kart all apart, I was inside cleaning the breakfast dishes, doing womans work, as Steve had so eloquently put it.

Chris was determined to do as much of work that he could. So while Steve watched, he snapped off quite a few pictures of Chris in action. But Steve never mentioned to me about taking these pics. I am glad we have them now. There was a lot of work getting done. Even just tearing down the kart turned out to be a big deal to Chris.

So Steve had that great idea about using the Dart style bearing hangers. They should work out locating the axle very close to what we decided on the wheelbase to be. So after Steve bailed out, me and Chris headed over to Franks house.

Chris was not very impressed with Frank. Actually I think he was scared to death to be around him. While Chris was hiding behind me, I did manage to trace out the bearing hanger on Franks super Dart K.

After returning back home, Chris was still weirded out. He did not want to go back over to Franks again for any reason. I assured him that feeling he was experiencing right now would only get worse the next time.

I used a manila folder from a filing cabinet for the template. We had removed the rear wheel and cut a hole in the donor piece of folder. Then just pressed around the shape of bearing hanger. There was enough dirt or grease, whatever, to leave a perfect imprint of it.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5013]
Template.

What I didnt realize right then, is how much different this bearing hanger shape is compared to the A-Bone. There is no cut out for the axle to just drop in. You have to feed the axle thru the bearings after they are bolted on.

Another big difference is the overall shape. The A-Bone has a lot more material removed. I modified the template to more closely resemble the A-Bone from pictures in the mags. No shortage of pictures in any of them. But it took looking thru a few mags before finding a rear shot of the frame.

There is usually a full page ad in every magazine. So easy enough to see using a magnifying glass for better detail. But decided against putting all of the large holes in the hangers. Just didnt see the need to do that much work for the slight weight difference.

From the template I cut out of that file folder, it was traced out on a piece of sheet metal. This is now a permanent template to make just many of these as we might ever need. Worth the effort if we decide to build another kart. Anything is possible.

There was only one thing I had to do that was a headache. The sheet metal template needed to be smaller on the outside and larger on the hole for bearings. The reason for this is to compensate for the thickness of the cutting torch tip.

Well actually half the diameter to make it work. It took some time but I finally got it close enough. Then I clamped my new sheet metal template down to the steel plate and torched two of them out. It would have been a good idea to knock out an extra pair just to have in waiting.

This all sounds simple enough, right? The next part is what I considered the hardest with grinding and hand filing to finish size. Mainly removing the slag and rough edges. These turned out good enough. Maybe not so great to have for sale, but more than enough to make for our personal projects.

Chris put his heart into finishing out the hangers. He did a full days work in those last few hours and well deserved with the reward. One thing to check off of the list of to-do's. I was very surprised at how bad the shape of the frame was in after looking over these pictures.

To me it seems obvious this frame was not new when it was purchased for Chris. He told me his dad bought it almost one year ago. It is a dual engine chassis. But with a dead axle. That has been nixed for more than a year if not two already. By 1959, dead axles were now obsolete.

There is some serious wear all over the frame too. I mean its not like there are a bunch of repairs. Just excessive use. I dont know how much of this is just from Chris driving it tho.

Since Chris has no idea about working on the kart, it makes sense he would drive it until something broke or put it out of service. There are things just not right the way this kart is set up.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5014]
Seat rails pic

I noticed someone had cut and welded the side bars higher on the seat. Besides looking crappy, it is not critical. But we did go ahead and clean everything up putting the side bars back down where they had originally been welded.

I laughed so hard when spinning the left front wheel. It went to rotating then spit out a bunch of bearing parts. It was totally disintegrated. The wheel not just flops around about ready to fall off.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5015]
Left front wheel worn out pic

Another thing I did not like at all is how the tie rods are set up. The short rod is bolted to a tab welded on the longer rod. This makes no sense to me at all. Looks like another accident just waiting to happen.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5016]
Steering tie rods pic

Chris had told me he managed to change out a tire all by himself. He wore the first one out. Well, the left rear tire is very worn out. He sure did get his money out of it. There is plenty of cord showing. The tire used to be a knobby, but now slicker than a slick tire.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5017]
Left rear tire pic

The pedals are short like on Franks Dart thing. But these are steel plates welded together. They are strong and probably will work just fine. We could fabricate some new ones, if time allowed. But so far it is not that important yet.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5018]
Pedals pic

What really caught my attention is the amount of thought and detail put into the stub axles on the rear. These are bolted in place and easily replaceable. That is cool. But is it really necessary?

The stub is machined down to 3/4 of an inch for the tapered bearings. Then the end of that stub is machined down to 5/8 of an inch. It is threaded extra fine with a castle nut. This allows for super close adjustments to set the preload or end play on the tapered bearings perfectly.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5019]
Right rear axle pic

Why all this much effort for something that is not nearly critical here? These bearings could be over tightened or left way too loose and would make little difference or even wear out prematurely.

This is one of those over engineered things that cost way too much money to fabricate for no gains in performance of reliability. Maybe one of those store bought engineer diplomas like Frank has hanging on his wall belongs to the person that put so much time into something making so little difference.

I guess it is possible the stub axles are actually surplus let overs that are being repurposed. Anything is possible in this case here. But what happens if you run out of the parts and have to make some changes? Good thing dead axles are no longer the way to go.

There is something else I was wrong about. The steering shaft on this kart is really a piece of 3/4 inch tubing. I made the quick assumption it was just a tube welded for strength and using 1/2 inch shaft running thru it. This was not something that uncommon just one year ago from articles of kart tests I have read up on.

So three totally different frame designs that yield all about the same thing on any given track. The Cates, Franks Dart, and this albatross for Chris. Wow, that could be the name for his kart.

Another thing I missed when first checking over the kart. The spindles do have some kingpin inclination. But very little. Maybe only a few degrees. This might be the only reason Chris was able to keep it pointed straight when racing all this time.

I am now curious how Chris is going to react to driving a live axle kart. It will not be anything like he has become accustomed to. I dont think he should have any trouble adapting. But being forced to change a habit might take some laps. Our next practice session should be some kind of interesting.

Attached Files
.jpg   Bearing hanger template.jpg (Size: 293.52 KB / Downloads: 88)
.jpg   Chris kart seat bar.jpg (Size: 1.18 MB / Downloads: 88)
.jpg   Chris kart left front wheel.jpg (Size: 955.47 KB / Downloads: 88)
.jpg   Chris kart tie rod.jpg (Size: 1.26 MB / Downloads: 88)
.jpg   Chris kart left rear.jpg (Size: 1.05 MB / Downloads: 88)
.jpg   Chris kart gas pedal.jpg (Size: 1.25 MB / Downloads: 88)
.jpg   Chris kart rigth rear axle apart.jpg (Size: 975.51 KB / Downloads: 88)
Chapter 108

The rest of this week was mainly focused on homework. But after finishing it today, still left some free time. I decided to make some more carburetors. That first one turned out, well perfect from the way it ran. So decided to make two more that matched.

Since this carburetor made such a huge difference over the slightly smaller HL-15's we are running, I wonder if it would out perform Franks massive HL-88A that comes stock on the later model Westbend 580 engines. Originally those engines were equipped with a float bowl carburetor, then changed to the HL-15 along with a still very wimpy flat four petal reed assembly.

When Frank had bought his engine last year, it was the deluxe model, according to him. So that means it should have the larger 6 petal flat reed assembly. Not anything impressive to look at. I saw one in the Westbend 700 we have in our junk pile. But it is 50% larger than the four petal reed plate. Well more or less. I guess that is right.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5020]
pic 6 petal Westbend intake manifold

Dang it! That was the other thing I wanted to mention to Frank. Those new parts for his engine. Sometime last year the newest model 580 engines changed over to a very impressive looking style Vee reed assembly designed by Westbend.

The new intake manifold has a stuffer instead of just being a flat plate like Franks engine has. This is something Frank should pick up for his engine. I knew there was at least one thing I forgot. But how do I convince Frank he needs to buy these parts? Maybe tempt him with the modified Tillotson he still thinks is the new HL-115? That might work...

One of the older dead chainsaws from our clean up pile at the Gasset repair shop over the summer was a Homelite. It had the first pyramid reed assembly I had ever seen close up. I then realized that Go-Power copied it and added some improvements. But last year they really stepped up and offered a 6 petal pyramid reed assembly.

When we finally committed to sticking with the bushing class, Steve picked up three of these Go-Power six petal reed cages so we could try them out eventually. One each for our engines and the other one on the spare engine. When he decided to get a new Bradfield connecting rod, these were added to his order. It looks like the best design by far that will work on our little bushing engines.

Since I have new tires for my kart now, thanks to Chris, maybe go ahead and test a couple of these 6 petal pyramid reeds. I dont know how much better they might work, but at least all of us will have about the same equipment.

Wow, just thinking in my head the possibility of hogging out the stock manifold so a six pedal pyramid reed can fit. The six petal reed doesnt need that big squarish opening like the four petal style does. I probably need to make a spacer so it will work, but that should be easy enough.

If this works, then Steve will have about the same thing as me and Chris on our engines. I can also set up the spare engine with one. Or use a modified manifold on my main engine, leaving the Palmini on the spare. Wow this is just getting better and better.

So I keep the stock manifold, but open it up to use the six petal reed for mine and Steves engines. Since Chris bought all new parts, his engine should be the fastest. Then we can use him to compare how much difference there is and which parts work out best.

Thinking back at our first race, Chris was by far the fastest of all the stock Clintons. His driving did not hold him back against those other drivers. But his kart sure did. He managed to work around that just fine. With his kart now set up better, along with what should be a much faster engine, he might be very hard to beat after some track time.

I figure with some more laps driving in traffic, like we were doing with Frank the last time practicing, Chris will get a lot better. I am amazed how much that helped out both me and Steve when we finally got to run our first race. Just getting comfortable driving around unknowns can really help drop your lap times in traffic. And Frank is always an unknown.

Neither one of us really got stuck behind any of the other karts. We just waited until there was an opening, which usually showed itself at the very next turn. A little bit of patience and then make a smooth clean pass without loosing any momentum driving outside of your line.

OK after checking over what it might take on the stock manifolds, a six petal reed should fit. But only after spacing it out about 5/8 inch, give or take a mile. So the stock manifolds might be worth keeping. I could cut this spacer from a flat piece of aluminum plate. Then machine it round on the little lathe. The large diameter hole measures about 1.350" I checked this by using the vernier caliper. It tapers down to roughly 1.125" in that thickness of material.

I can machine it round after cutting out a piece of plate. Then bore the hole to that smaller diameter of 1.125" Keep rotating the top slide on lathe until the angle tapers out to the larger diameter of 1.350". I know there is a formula that can be used after looking thru the Machinists Handbook. It shows how to calculate the actual angle needed to cut and get the correct dimensions. Wow, I am right back to bench racing again.

This time with my bench racing, I am going to do it the Frank Price way. All calculations to achieve the goal I am after on paper first. Then turn it in to a finished product. I know this will work because it was proven on paper thru all of those complicated calculations. Look at me! I am now an engineer. I have solved a problem already and not even crunched a single number yet. Frank better watch out. I might take his job. You better laugh. Because that was so funny, I sure forgot to.

So now adding to those carburetors needing to be modified, then two manifolds converted over to six petal reeds, and finally assembling three engines, we might be getting closer to making a practice day and blowing everything up. That is if something doesnt work out like it did on paper.

Dang it. Now I really do need to cut out three carburetors. One for the spare engine, then Chris and Steves engines. I thought about making one for Frank to try out. But until he gets the new parts for his engine, would be a waste of time. Of course that is just my uneducated opinion since I dont have that store bought education like Frank has. And with a piece of paper to prove it too. I guess that diploma would be considered his receipt.

Frank was very interested in my bored out carburetor that he mistakenly thought was the new HL-115 model. I used good smarts investing it that carby, according to him. He was also sure it would be just about perfect for his well tuned Westbend engine. Frank was reluctant in giving me back the carburetor after I showed it to him.

I told him he might get the chance to try out this carburetor after he has the kart running its best when we make another practice day. Another thing I might have failed to mention is that my bored out carburetor was that red one from his old blown up Power Products AH-82. That would have really blown his mind.

But there is no way I am going to trust him with one of the carburetors already spoken for going on our engines. It is not worth risking him screwing one up. So if I make an extra carburetor for him to try, will be the only way he gets to find out if one works on his engine. Its not that I dont trust him, which I dont, but I have watched him work on things. There is a total disconnect between his hands and his brain. Call me skeptical.

It looks like this weekend is going to be spent working on all of the parts we need to get the engines built. I still have to find some aluminum to use for the spacers. Maybe tomorrow I can stop by the metal shop in school and talk to the teacher. He might have some ideas of where to get the aluminum plate. I only need a small piece about 3 x 6 inches. Maybe get away with even a smaller piece than that.

Attached Files
.jpg   Homelite reed plate manifold.jpg (Size: 437.34 KB / Downloads: 83)
Chapter 109

OK, last night was a total bust. I had intended on modifying some more carburetors, but again got side tracked. Too many things I need to do before the engines can finally be built. Then hopefully everything else can get finished. Now my focus is on making the stock intake manifolds possibly work almost as well as the aftermarket ones. More specifically the Palmini or Go-Power intake manifolds.

So instead of sitting outside of Drafting class waiting for the bell to ring and class starting this morning, I walked across the hall to the metal shop. The teacher is a very old man, named Mr Sadeskey. He is not really so fat, but tall and sort of looks heavy set. His shoulders are very narrow. It looks like everything just fell south.

I would say the years have not been so kind to him. He is wearing glasses that look like were made from the bottom of coke bottles. Well I guess like Orange Crush, since these are clear and not green like the Coke bottles. My guess would be he is completely blind when not wearing those glasses.

As I approach him, he gives me a big smile. Hey Rick, it is nice to see you again. What have you been up to since starting high school?

OK this is weird. I know my older brother had him in metal shop. But that was like three years ago. He did enjoy this class, but I dont know how good of a student he was.

Hello, Mr Sadeskey, my name is Terry. You may have me confused with my older brother Rick. I believe he was in your class a few years ago.

Well I have to admit you do look a lot like your brother. How is he doing?

He is doing great sir. Working hard and still has one more year left in high school. He has mentioned about really liking metal shop when taking your class. I am signed up for the next semester. I am also considering taking Power Mechanics next year too.

Well you be sure to tell your brother hello from me. I consider him one of my very best students. I could really enjoy teaching a lot more with students like him that are here to learn something. So what can I do for you today young man?

Well, Mr Sadeskey, I thought you might be able to help me find some material. I have a project and need some 5/8" or 3/4" aluminum plate. Just a small piece. I dont know where to buy it or who even sells it. Especially in such a small size that I need.

Well how small are you talking? A few more details before I can make any recommendations or suggestions.

Well sir, I need to make two round pieces a little more than 2 inches in diameter. Like something about 5/8 or 3/4 inch thick. I will be cutting them down on my lathe at home. I thought a piece about 3x6 inches would work. Maybe only scrap pieces really. One larger piece or two small ones. Just so I can cut them round. That is about it.

Rick, uh I am sorry, Terry, tell you what, I will see what I can dig up. But only under one condition. I am interested in what you are making. Is this something you can bring in to class and show me?

Yes sir that is no problem. I even thought about drawing up a blueprint in Drafting, since I need to choose an outside project in my class anyway. I can make a drawing, and then show you exactly what it is and what I am trying to do. So would tomorrow be too soon?

No Rick, that will be fine. I can check in the cage to see what I have laying around. You are not asking too much that I cant help out there. I will see you tomorrow morning. Dont forget to tell your brother I was asking about him.

Yes sir, I sure will. I mean no sir, I wont forget, and thank you. I held out my hand as his large work hardened wrinkled up hand swallowed mine with a very weak shake.

After school, todays work load was not so bad. My homework was all finished even before the sun set. I still had some time to get things done in the garage. Really, I dont have much more time until dinner. So just gather up the parts to show Mr Sadeskey tomorrow morning and put them in a small box. Maybe scribble out a rough sketch that can be used to draw a blueprint from in class tomorrow too.

Back to school this morning I found Mr Sadeskey sitting alone in his office drinking coffee. I hope that isnt something terminal to becoming an adult. I dont care for coffee, but it seems like anybody I see in the working world drinks the stuff.

Good morning Mr Sadeskey, how are you today?

Hello Rick, I mean uh....his younger brother. So what do you have for me today?

I brought the parts you were asking about. I guess you recognize this. It is the intake manifold to a Clinton two cycle engine. These reed openings are way too small for what I am using the engine for now. I decided to open up this passage and remove that rib inside there where the stock reed petals fit.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5030]
stock Clinton manifold

At first we were enlarging the openings sort of like this one here. It works a lot better than the stock manifold. I had hoped we could go even bigger using larger reed petals from a chainsaw. But the casting is very thin to go much more than we already have tried. You see this one didnt work out so much.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5031]
Modified manifold

I want to convert this manifold over to use a pyramid reed assembly. Basically the same thing as a reed cage from a Homelite chainsaw. It has like three times the area over what the stock reeds have. I will be using a much bigger carburetor than the little float bowl that came on it. This original one is just too small. Besides it does not work so well being a float style.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5032]
stock float carb

Here is the carburetor I plan to use. This is the one I modified on my lathe at home. It works a whole lot better than the other diaphragm carburetor we have already been running. The original float bowl carburetor is just way too small.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5033]
modified Tillotson/stock one

Yes I would say the original carb is very small compared to this Tillotson you have opened up. I dont believe I have seen anyone bore one out like this. You say it works well?

Yes sir, it works perfect. I didnt know what to expect at first. An engineer guy I know told me it was way too big to even bother trying to run on the Clinton engine. Since it only puts out 2 1/2 horsepower, I thought he might be right. Well that is what it is rated at using this stock float bowl carburetor.

At first we were running a stock Tillotson on the engine. Just like the ones used on a lot of chainsaws.  They run great, but with this carburetor sure ran so much better. But it is opened up a lot bigger. This sort of makes sense to me. At least from what I can understand how a carburetor works.

I want to use that stock intake manifold. So been tossing around ideas on what it would take to make a Go-Power 6 petal pyramid reed cage work. By spacing it out about 5/8" or close to that, I think everything will fit. There is one other problem. But may have figured out a solution for that one already. So until I have the spacers made, not to concerned just yet.

This is a very interesting little project you have here Rick. It is an ideal class project for you next semester. But I guess you are in a hurry and dont want to wait until you take metal shop.

Well no sir, not really. I also have two friends relying on these. So the quicker I can get them made, the sooner we can go to the track and test them out. This Palmini intake manifold that uses a four petal pyramid reed has already been run on one engine. I am curious to find out how these will compare after converting them over.  

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5034]
Palmini manifold with 4 petal reed cage

My other option is just buying one of the racing intake manifolds. But I have several of these stock ones. I dont see any reason not to try making one of them work. It will save me a good ten dollars anyway.

So you said something about making these at home on your lathe?

Yes sir, I have a little 6 inch Craftsman lathe. It cant do a whole lot, but this is something small enough I can make using it. Well the lathe can do a lot. Just not big stuff. I have cut down crankshafts on lawn mowers, a couple of cast iron flywheels and bored out that carburetor already. So it has been very useful to me.

Well if you would like to use one of the schools lathes, I can show you how to operate it. Then if you want to, maybe go ahead and start working on those spacers. Might help save some time. I am not completely sure what your goal is here, but would like to see what you are actually going to make. There is still some time before class starts this morning if you want to get started. I did find some scrap pieces. One of them might just fit the bill. You need to cut the corners off before machining them round on the lathe.

Mr Sadeskey pulled out one scrap piece that was just about perfect for the size I needed to cobble out my two spacers. After a quick tour of the shop and where all the tools are, Mr Sadeskey just walked out leaving me there alone to work. I had about 30 minutes before class started, and sure didnt want to waste it. So I needed to focus on trying to get these spacers made.

The first thing was using dividers to scribe the diameter on this scrap piece of aluminum. Well first I need to find location and use a center punch on each spacer. Then I used the shops band saw to carefully cut that piece in half. Next by cutting off the corners, I now have a multi-sided piece that would not take nearly as long machining round on the lathe.

Mr Sadeskey had given me a quick rundown of this band saw. It was fairly straight forward. He kept emphasizing about keeping my hands far away from the saw blade. There was this one student......

He quickly changed the subject getting back to using my head and not leave here with less body parts than I came into class with. He told me let the saw do the work. Dont force it to cut faster than it is doing on its own. The teeth on the blade are worn down, but not worn out. So just be patient.

Mr Sadeskey also told me to either roll up the sleeves of my shirt or take it off and just wear my undershirt as he called it, when operating any of the machines. This brought back thoughts of Chris finding out the same things Mr Sadeskey was helping me to avoid. Getting a shirt sleeve caught up in the drill press spindle or lathe chuck is not pretty. Well, you get the picture.

I cant believe how jumpy I am right now. Every noise has me so edgy for some reason. Why cant I relax and things be no different than at home? Well I took a quick inventory, and still have all of my digits. Time to move on to the lathe.

Attached Files
.jpg   Clinton manifold stock.jpg (Size: 200.12 KB / Downloads: 66)
.jpg   Clinton manifold opened up reed.jpg (Size: 432.94 KB / Downloads: 65)
.jpg   Clinton stock float carb.jpg (Size: 324.31 KB / Downloads: 65)
.jpg   Modifed and stock Tillotson.jpg (Size: 531.65 KB / Downloads: 65)
.jpg   Palmini manifold with reed cages.jpg (Size: 560.16 KB / Downloads: 66)