Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 78

Well somebody sure thinks you did something wrong. Who did you try to run over this time? I wasnt paying that much attention to you until those last two guys. But did what you talked about. The hole presented itself and I closed it up quick enough. Them fast two guys dont do so well in traffic. Actually both of them totally suck in traffic. They are still a few karts behind us right now. I did have a blast spending the rest of the time playing catch up to you.

One of the guys in our class came up and bumped his shoulder into mine, nearly knocking me over the rear tire I had my foot resting on. Dang you again! I heard that high pitch and knew who it was.(the kids name I still didnt find out yet), I looked around to see. Wow! You are one tough guy to race with. He had a really big grin on his face. It was obvious right then, he was not mad about anything that just happened out there.

I can hardly wait for the last heat. Are you guys going to start racing out here regular all the time? I have never had so much fun getting beat before. Well before tonight anyway. You two are a hoot to race with. Please tell me you are going to be out here racing more! With a bummed out sound in my voice responding back, Sorry but I didnt win. They gave me a black flag instead of a checker. So you did beat me this time around.

No way! What the heck for? I didnt see you do anything wrong. But I sure did learn a few things when you kept trying to make a move on me this time. I listen to guys giving driving advice and tips out here all the time, like every chance I get. But until you are actually in that situation, well it just dont click right away. Now some of that stuff is making more sense to me.

The next class was already out on the track and about to start their race. I am sort of mad and disappointed. I didnt do anything wrong this time. There was no serious bumping or dirty driving. It was a clean race all the way thru the last lap. I felt really good out there and didnt make any stupid or dangerous moves this time at all. There was nothing anyone could argue about. So what was the deal?

After the end of the second heat, it was time for intermission. This gave the scoring team a chance to tally up the scores for grid position in the third and final heat race. The flag man came over from across the track. I had already asked the grid steward what I did wrong this time to get the black flag, but he did not know just yet.

A few minutes later, the flag man found me and explained what had happened. According to him I had passed those first karts at the very start with two wheels off the track. It was well covered at the new drivers meeting about this clearly. Do what? Are you kidding me?

I looked him straight in his eyes, speaking very loudly and made it clear I did no such thing. There was plenty of room for me to pass and I was no where close to the edge. He tells me he knows what he saw and it was obvious that I was off the track when making that pass.

I again told him he was wrong as wrong could be and that was a bad call. You suck as a flag man. OK that wasnt smart. Then walked off extremely mad. I was about to say even more things, but knew better just then. But knowing better doesnt always keep it from happening.

The only move now was get some distance from him before I let something much worse slip from my mouth. Sometimes it is really easy to just go off on someone about something you know is wrong, but it can also backfire. Like in a bad way too.

I went back over to my kart and kicked the rear tire just hard as I could. Geez that hurt. I am glad it did hurt too, so I would not do anything else ever more stupid. But I needed something to take it out on, and yelling and screaming was not going to help. Steve comes over and asks what the reason was for the black flag? I could have taken it out on him right then, but knew he was just wanting to know.

That jerk of a flagman said I had two wheels off the track when passing at the start. Do what? You were never close to the edge of the track. I followed your shadow when passing those guys. We had all kinds of room. Heck we had plenty of room on both sides of our karts. Everyone runs high on that part of the track anyway. I am surprised the flagman didnt get nearly run over when we all passed the start finish line.

Yea, well go try to tell him that. He was sure of what he saw me do, but that is not what really happened. I dont see any chance of him changing his mind either. Especially since I told him he sucked as a flagman. Man, you got it. I was so close that if you had run off the track then I would have done it too.

Wow, I was surprised to see Steve take off running over to where the flagman was smoking a cigarette. Gosh, that is so nasty. I cant see how people can suck smoke out of a rolled up piece of burning paper full of dead weeds. Just grosses me out. Not to mention how bad his breath smelled when arguing with me.

Steve and the flagman are now yelling at each other. I see his arms all up in the air pointing, moving around and waving. Then the flagman yells something in his face and walks off. Steve yells right back, shakes his head and stomps away and over to me in the pits. OK that was a waste of time.

Well I just got disqualified for this heat too. For unsportsman like conduct. He says I get to start at the back of the pack in the last heat. Then I just laughed right in his face. Right before he turned and walked off.

I asked Steve is he was being serious? He says, Just serious as a heart attack. The way the flag mans veins were getting all raised up and pulsing, I thought he was about to have one too. Sure wouldnt want to be responsible for him dropping dead out here tonight.

So Terry, we have now batted two strikes so far. What have you got planned for the last heat? It seems more like they are out to get us for some reason. You are either in good standing or you are an outsider like us. Right now I dont think we fit in the first category so much. Have you considered joining the club?

Heck no! If you are right, then we wont have much luck racing out here again. I sure hope you are just joking. But I am afraid there might be something to what you are saying. Did you know the two guys running those Westbends are the flagmans sons? Look he is over there wrenching on their karts right now.

You have got to be kidding? That would suck for us. Oh wait it already does. You think he is favoring his own kids over everyone else? Well if we didnt have X'es on the back of our helmets tonight, we would be still be starting dead last. Unless they are desperate for a win regardless of how, I just cant believe there are actually people who can justify doing stuff like that.

Hey Terry, talk to me again about what we had discussed earlier right before the last heat race. Now how were we going to get the jump this time? Gimme the complete lowdown. I am all ears so dont leave anything out either. If you think it will work, I dont want to take any unnecessary chances out there. No reason for us to kill ourselves. If we can do it without any possibility of an incident then I am all in.

Well Steve, it just depends on what everyone in front of us does. If they break apart, we are screwed. If we have already committed and someone pulls out of line then we will get blamed for reckless driving, poor sportsmanship, and anything else someone wants to blame us on.

But and that is a big but, if they stay more or less in line like the last two heats, we simply try to get the jump on them then try to pass as many on the start as possible. Like the last heat but make sure the flagman has nothing to call us out on. If we time the start just right, then should get a good jump. Hang back just enough so it doesnt look that obvious.

It cant look too obvious. We cant be passing anyone else until after the flag has already been been waved. We might end up slamming on the brakes as the flag drops too. That would kill any possibility of getting a good jump on the start.

From watching all evening the flagman looks fairly predictable. Most of the night he has been consistent when dropping the flag if the front row is running a decent pace. So long as they are not obvious in jumping the start themselves. Well except for our class.

Since we are way at the back, the flagman wont have any reason to be looking at us. At least according to what he told everyone at the new drivers meeting earlier tonight. His focus will be only on the front two rows.

Once he commits to dropping the flag then the race is on and they cant really say anything about us. Well they can and have already done so, but it will sure look like he is playing favorites to his own kids. Well so long as we are singled out each time if they get beat.

So this is the plan. All we do is hang back a lot bit more than the last heat. Like we were not paying attention and trying to catch up. Since we are newbies racing for the first time. If it even looks like he might drop the flag, we slam down on the gas just early as possible. The leaders are the only ones that can do this, otherwise it would be a major crashfest. You know since everyone is bunched up so tight.

By speeding up right at the last moment, it will look like we are trying to catch up. Which we are doing that for real. It just has to be timed right so we can get an advantage over the rest of them. Well all of them except the leaders. Most of the people watching the race will also be mainly focused on the leaders. So it should look innocent enough.

We wont get away with this unless way in the back like tonights race. So way to make a habit of doing it either. But it isnt likely we will be stuck all the way in the back much after tonight. More new drivers next time should move us up. If you noticed all of the drivers following the leaders are stop, go, on and off the brake. Unfortunately it will make our karts look like something kicked us in the rear as we launch forward while everyone else is stuck behind each other on and off the brake.

If it works, and if there is room, we go around on both sides this time. Just be prepared if somebody decides to do something similar. It is not likely. Unless someone is asleep at the start. That might cause a mess. Otherwise nobody will have a better jump over the other drivers. Well except for us and the leaders. We just have to be on full gas way before the flagman commits. If the pack is running really slow, it might not look anything more than just having a good start.

Dad had been making the rounds. He knows a lot of the people out here since most of them live in the area. He sneaks up behind me and immediately starts asking questions. You two have been sort of quite since the last heat race. I am sorry you got black flagged. I could not tell if you broke any rules from where I was standing. So not going down that road. The flagman is right there and should be able to make a good call.

But dad, the flagman was on the outside of the track. He could not have been able to see anything with the other karts buzzing so close to him. And besides that, did you notice how close those construction oil lamps are to the edge of the track? There is also a big sand trap where the black lamps are sitting. I would have smashed in to them if even one of my tires got off the track.

Did you also see that Steve was right behind me and made the same move I did. The flagman didnt say anything about him. Steve even told the the flagman himself. His response was that he was looking directly at me and saw both left tires completely off the track.

Then Steve argued how come he was able to follow right behind me and never got his tires even close to the edge of the track. But the flagman said he was not paying attention to the kart behind mine. Then he accused Steve of lying for me since we were team mates. Thats when Steve said something and walked off. I dont know what he did say, but because of it he was also disqualified. So now we both get to start in the back of the pack for the final heat race.

That is what they told you? All of that and both of you now have to start in the back for the last heat? Isnt that where you are supposed to start anyway? I am sure you have not schemed up some devious plot and might cause any problems for this last heat. Or is that just wishful on my part? No dad, not anything notorious or a problem. I was just noticing how the others all bunch together and make it hard to get any advantage at the start.

Maybe just trying to make the best of having to start in the very back of the pack. It gets boring out there all alone when everyone else is so ready to hit the gas and no where to go just yet.

Did you notice how much smoke there being so bunched up when running that slow? I dont see how anybody can see what is ahead of them. But if someone really pays close attention and can anticipate when the flag drops...You know just thinking out loud.

I am starting to feel like you might be playing out there on thin ice. Just dont be careless that someone might get hurt. You would not feel right about that after something happened. Otherwise just keep your head on straight and dont make a scene doing anything you will very well regret later. I am going to be watching closely, so dont be stupid and make it look bad for the rest of us.

Dad walked off and then I saw him following the flagman back across the track. He hollered and they both stopped at the start finish line. After some discussion, dad turned around and pointed down at the track where I had been accused of dropping both tires off the edge. Then the flagman shrugged his shoulders, turned away and walked off.

The third and final heat races were about ready to start. I spent all my spare time watching the other classes run. Since the first two heats only place your starting position for the third heat, this one is for all the marbles. Some of the drivers may tend to take more chances since this is the win or loose heat that counts.

After the first few classes, nothing really changed. Well the dual engine drivers seemed to be a little more focused on the g0ld. Some of them in the back were doing the same thing me and Steve had discussed. They held off just a little bit to get a better run before the flag dropped.

I saw this to be fairly obvious, but nobody watching made any mention about it. So now I had no second thoughts about my plan. Since those duals have so much power, it didnt help all that much with the drivers in the back. Our little bushing engines dont have any real power, so any jump would help out a lot.

Our class was pregridding behind the fifth class right before us for our last heat race. It was now all or nothing. I wasnt expecting to do that well, but didnt plan on just hanging back in the back and do nothing. There was no way we could win. Those two Westbends were starting on the front row. How convenient. I wonder if they usually draw good positions all the time?

Everyone else in our class were really no faster and actually slower than we are. Watching them out there driving they didnt look to have a lot of track time. Someone that can drive well in traffic does not need the fastest kart to win.

That one kid (name I dont still dont even know) looks like he could run a good fast lap by himself. But does not have any idea of when to drive a defensive line or take advantage when a driver makes a mistake.

The two trips out here on a practice day has been a lot more beneficial that I had originally thought. Even spending all that time only working on Franks kart was not at all wasted. But the driving we made together, even if not always at full speed is making this first race to be a good eye opener of what to expect and deal with at other races.

I was not all that excited to even run the last heat. I felt the odds were stacked against me. Well stacked against both of us after Steve had a heated discussion with the flagman. Maybe things are not that bad. I want to race the last heat and do good as I possibly can. It is time to suit up and give it my best.

If me and Steve do get a good start, we should be able to at least finish in the top five. Even if we dont, the only big problems are already starting in the very front of the pack. We will see nothing but the rear of their karts in this last race.

There is a good chance of placing and would be something to shoot for. One of us either way. If it doesnt look like I can do much good, then try to work with Steve and help him any way I can. Unless one of the Westbends does something stupid the best I can hope for is a third.

Any last words before we go out there? The plan still a go? Steve was getting nervous or cold feet. I wasnt sure. Steve just play it safe and if there is an opportunity, I am going to take it. Use your head and drive smooth. I think we can do well against all of the other Clintons, but those two Westbends are not likely going to be a factor. They will be in their own race up front. We can work thru the traffic one kart at a time and see how well it ends up.

Man you are bumming me out. I know we dont stand any chance of winning, but now its like you have already accepted defeat. Maybe you should go load up and just watch this last race with all the women in the stands. I came here to race. We are more than competitive out here tonight. We had a raw deal or two. So what? We are racing against other drivers with the same equipment and doing very well. There is only one winner and the rest of us are the loosers. Try to stay positive.

Oh heck yea that is some positive pep talk there Steve. I just want to go jump off a bridge now. Dude I know we dont have a snowballs chance to win. That isnt what is bugging me tonight. I think it has to do more with how things are run out here. Something I never had though about before and sure dont understand at all, but now I think we are in the thick of it tonight.

We finally push up to the starting grid. I had checked over everything thoroughly during intermission. If nothing else we should have no problem finishing this last race. After that, all bets are off the table. The grid steward is giving me a less than friendly stare. Maybe I am just letting my imagination run away right now.

Dad is right here to start both of us up. Just like he has been our crew chief forever. Wearing a pit apron, he looks the perfect part, here pitting for his son. I now have a big smile on my face as he pats me on the helmet and says to use my head out there. Dont get crazy on the track. Remember this is supposed to be fun. If you are not enjoying yourself out there then find something else to do with your time.

That was odd coming from dad. He can either read my mind or just be very attentive. He has always been able to do this. Sometimes I dont completely understand what it is he is trying to say. Other times it just slams me right in the face. Like all of the sudden it becomes obvious. Other times not so much.

Fire up your engines! Get out there. Go, go, go! Steves engine would not start, no matter how many times dad pulled the rope. So dad came back and tried starting me next. Nothing, He kept pulling and not happening. I hop out of my kart and start looking around the engine. My spark plug is broken. It sticks straight out the back like most others do. There is also a bumper protecting it, so what gives? Then look over to Steves kart, same thing. DANG IT!

We made a habit of carrying spares to the grid, just in case of something like a fouled spark plug, but didnt expect to see this times two. I grab the ratchet and loosen Steves plug first, then do the same on my kart. Dad is following behind me running the new plugs back in. Dad tightens them up while I hop back in my kart. The rubber boot was split really bad on mine. So I sure hope he gets it crammed on tight enough so it stays put out there.

The other karts have almost made the first lap lining up and already coming around the track entrance. Dad fires us both up this time and we start to head out from the pits. The grid steward holds up his hand for us to stop immediately. He almost gets run over, since the smoke from the other karts was still lingering thick in the air.

Steve slams on his brakes and I have to swerve hard left just missing the back of his kart. This causes me nearly to clipping a spectator who was standing right in the middle of the hot grid as the kart slides to a stop. We wait until the pack makes it past the pit exit first, then he waves for us to pull out on to the track behind them.

This really sucks. I am so tensed up right now and rightfully mad. My kart is jerking around since I have a death grip on the steering wheel. That was no accident. Right now I am only thinking of revenge but not during the race itself. Who would do this? Especially with all of the people standing around in the pits?

I try to get focused for this last heat. Yes it is supposed to be fun, and tonight has not been so much at times. The actual racing out on the track has been awesome. But after each heat, is the not so much part. Everything me and Steve worked for tonight was just stripped away. I know it is only for a small trophy or pig ribbons. I dont even care about that.

So me and Steve are very far back behind the rest of the pack. They are way ahead and then we speed faster to play catch up. Hey this might work out better than I first had thought. Being this far back, as in the very back, we sure cant predict what everyone else is going to do. It is the first row then second row then keep going all the way back to us.

Wow we dont even have to work at this and might still get a chance for a great start. We just need to get focused and hit the gas soon as possible. The pole setter is trying to anticipate the start like everyone else. But usually everyone in the second row back are so bunched together there is nothing that will help them get an advantage. I just get my wits about me and be ready in case the flag drops. We are still way far back and not much chance of catching up with the pack just yet.

Alright I am getting back into the game here. I am done with getting pitched for anything tonight. But I did come to race and going to do the best I can. If there are people favoring their kids for a win by making bad calls, I dont care. If I do well tonight in spite of that, does not matter either. A pig ribbon does not make a winner. It is whats inside you that makes a winner. If I do well and they try again to come up with something else to accuse me with, then so what?

The lead two karts are slowing down to line up. Everyone else are still all too scattered to drop the flag this time around. Me and Steve have just made it on the the straightaway and hauling fast as we can to catch up. I went ahead and put up my hand for one more pace lap, but then the flag is quickly waved. What the heck was that? The front row karts are no where near the rest of the pack and ready for a start. A few of the drivers who were also catching up got lucky and speeding fast enough for a decent run at the leaders.

It looked like those two karts in front were not expecting the flag to come out this lap. So now way in front of us is a big pile up in the making. We had been speeding fast to close the distance they had on us and I almost let off the gas when holding up my hand. Fortunately I dropped down to the inside avoiding a major pileup while Steve went high. As he passes the karts that were stacking on top of each other, one of them popped over and bumped him really hard on his left side.

That kart hit Steves left front causing him to swerve out too wide darting up taking his right tire off the track. He almost hit the flagman too. But both of us managed to miss all of the other carnage. That really sucks. I see two of them are already out of the race. We both zig-zagged back and forth thru the traffic fairly easily. How we managed to clear our way past most of the others I am not sure.

My plan worked out great, even tho we didnt actually use it. Instead the flag was dropped very late, but none of the karts were lined up. Even the front karts got caught off guard. They were just about to pass the start finish line and already let off the gas for a moment. I saw both of their heads turn towards the flagman to confirm if the flag had even been dropped. Thats when they got back on the gas and tried to salvage the start the best they could.

Unfortunate for them, the drivers right behind, got a better view of the flag and slammed into the Westbend powered karts. This caused everyone to over correct and slightly loose control. What didnt work so well for them did much better for me and Steve.

I didnt know how many karts were behind us still in the race, but was aware there only three ahead of us now. Those two Westbends and one other kart I was not sure who was driving. It was the one in front of the kart that hit Steves wheel. Steve then tries to make a pass around on the outside of me at the very first turn.

I let Steve have the position for now. So we are running fourth and fifth. Not much chance of somebody behind us doing any good or trying to pass. Our only goal was to make up as much ground to catching those Westbends. It took only one more lap and we both went around the third place kart. I think it was our new friend that I really want to find out his name tonight.

The next thing I noticed didnt seem right to me. But I watched the flagman giving hand signals to his kids who were driving the Westbend powered karts. He was holding his hands together letting both know someone was running close behind them. Also waving his hand forward signaling to try and speed up. On every lap we had made up some ground behind them. Their driving seemed a lot more eratic than what I had seen earlier tonight.

Steve had said they did not do so well in traffic when he was able to get a good run at the start of the second heat. Maybe they dont do so well under pressure either. I start running right up on the back of Steves kart. Not making him screw up or pushing to hard. A light tap if possible trying to help him go faster with me in hot pursuit. Usually when we both run in line either of us feel we could pull out and almost pass the other.

Well thats not exactly true. When Steve tries to pass me on the straights, its like throwing out an anchor, then even my kart seems to slow down. When I am following Steve, I could push him real easy, especially towards the end of the longer straight. We made way better time this way.

I didnt think drafting has much standing on a fairly short track, but have been proven wrong there. Maybe lacking any real horsepower is also a major contributing factor. It took most of the remaining laps but we managed to make up a lot of ground on those two Westbends.

The drivers were not taking advantage of running together at all. They were just beating up on each other and trying pass in almost every turn. Not having any luck either. If one pulled up, the other driver would turn in and close the door to stay ahead. So they actually slowed each other down, like a whole bunch. All the while me and Steve stayed in a single line working together and sped up.

On the last lap, the kart following the leader got real stupid and tried to dive under the other one coming on to the front straight. They got tangled and caused both karts to go wide and nearly run right off the track. They would have run off, if not for all of the speed that was scrubbed away.

Steve took this as a great opportunity to make the same attempt to them as they just tried doing to each other, but had failed miserably. They went really wide after loosing control exiting the turn. I stayed behind Steve hoping to follow him thru and also pull in front of the Westbends.

Just as Steve got his nose barely ahead of the slower Westbend, that guy came back in to the right side of him banging wheels together. Steve held his position. But that other kart went airborn after his left front tire made contact with back of Steves right front tire.

The other brother managed to stay ahead and not involved in any more conflict. But the slower one might have gotten pissed off from being passed. So after landing back down, he came over and crunched in to my kart next. We both scrubbed off a lot of speed. I had no where to go without being forced off the inside of the track this time. So chose to tap the brake.

The slower Westbend held onto his position by cutting me off, but I was hit hard from behind. This caused my kart to slam in to the left rear tire of his. By now Steve was staying ahead of him all the way to the checkered flag. But I had a small problem. My kart was now hanging off the back of the slower Westbend.

We both were running down the straight headed towards a waving checkered flag while I was still piggy backing his kart. My first reaction was hit the brake, but that slowed us down a lot. So much that the kart following behind pulled right up next to me. This is when I had a fantastic idea.

Since my kart would not break free from his, I just let off the gas and held down the brake pedal until my tires locked up. That other kart managed just to pass both of us right before the checkered flag. I was screaming in excitement since the slower Westbend just lost another position to this other driver. Tonight just got really fun.

I sure wasnt upset about loosing out two places behind Steve. But sure was happy about the one Westbend driver got a double whammy from his own stupidity. I jerked my steering wheel back and forth until our karts finally separated. His kart looked like someone was just banging the heck out of it until I finally broke free. But I could not be happier than right now.

This heat race turned out fairly intense. I guess about as exciting as I could have hoped for considering everything that had already happened tonight. But still did not feel so good as we were heading around to exit off the track. The two brothers driving the Westbend powered karts screwed themselves good beating on each other. Otherwise me and Steve would have no chance of catching up to them.

As we pulled into the pits I could hear the flagman yelling all kinds of obscenities at them, us and anyone else that was listening or taking notice. If we get blamed for any of this, then was well worth it. I dont care. What I found odd is neither of the Westbend drivers ever came over and said anything. They both pushed off immediately to their own pits.

The unofficial results for the night ended up with Steve placing second behind that one Westbend driver. That other kart passing me up finished in third behind Steve. I ended in fifth position more than satisfied with this race tonight. No matter what happens, it wont change my mood for rest of the night.

One good thing was that kid (I still have not found out his name, but now assumed is the grid stewards son) turned out to be the one that passed me while I was tangled up with that Westbend and he ended up third. I was more than happy with a respectable fifth place finish. So the Westbend brothers finished first and fourth. I didnt know which one was which. Nor did I care either.

We have been the second to last class running in each heat. So there is one more class left to run before tonights races are all finished. No sooner had our checkered flag been dropped came an announcement on the loud speaker. "There is an emergency meeting being called for after the last race".

By now we were getting congrats among some of the competition and spectators. The awards ceremony would normally follow the finish of the last race. But it was put on hold until after this very serious meeting.

Both Steve and myself got a few pats on the back, and I hoping to find out the one kids name. He was the first to come over and immediately started apologizing for accidentally bashing in to the back of my kart. He felt so bad causing me to loose position and not able to follow thru and pass that Westbend.

He sounded so upset, I thought he was going to start crying. I looked at him and just started laughing. Are you kidding me? Talking about awesome! What you did was cause that other guy to get beat. I sure the heck aint mad about it. That was a total blast. Dont worry about a thing. It was more than worth it to me.

He then lightened up a lot and gave me that big goofy grin of his. Then ask if we were going to be making a showing out here again and hopefully sometime soon. He then told me something about the two Westbend drivers.

It seems they had been the ones to beat and unlike tonight did that rarely happen. Actually since they got new karts with those Westbends, no one had any chance of beating them. This was the first red flag I should have caught on about.

After some heated discussions about scoring problems it was finally time for the awards presentation. I really didnt care about getting a small fifth place trophy or pig ribbon. I know Steve sure wouldnt mind the attention that would be focused on him shortly. He did a great job driving out there tonight.

We both finished the race and did not destroy our equipment or even cause any of those accidents. Just finishing our first race was a win for me. Both of us even placing like we did make things a little more bearable.

The announcer came over the loud speaker. Please may I have your attention folks. It is finally time for our awards ceremony. Sorry for the delay. He went on for a while until finally starting to acknowledge all of the new drivers. Please come up here after I call each of your names.

The announcer then reads names from a list in his hand. I see tonight we have seven new racers with us. Everyone give them a big round of applause. Then he read off the names from the list and classes they were entered in tonight.

After reading off those new drivers names he presented each of them with a new driver award and shook each of their hands. OK that was odd. I thought that we were also new drivers tonight? I looked over at Steve and just hunched my shoulders up and down.

But we are....doesnt that apply to us too? Who cares Steve, everything else is screwed up tonight. I dont want to push it. There was a few questions mumbled about and eyes looked around in the crowd, but no one really said anything.

Now that should have been red flag number two. Or was I just making something out of nothing? The awards went along for the next ten or fifteen minutes. The applause went around with every award, so it dragged on like forever. Finally they made it down to the junior bushing class. They held off this one class to the very last before announcing the finish. I was just starting to relax and sort of looking forward to this. Almost excited now.

Yes sir, there was some interesting developments in this class tonight. A lot of action packed racing out there on the track. Not just on the track but even carried in the pits too. Ladies and gentlemen in fifth place tonight is..Kenny Jacobson.

Huh, who is that? I looked around and saw a kid I at least now put a name and face together. Screw it! I clapped and made it obvious. He didnt cause any trouble out there. But this is the first time I had really noticed him. He was one of those three drivers we had passed in the very first heat race.

While I clapping with everyone else, that kid walked up there and took the trophy. Steve is nudging my arm with a questioned look on his face. The announcer is calling out the next finish position. Now in fourth place, it goes to.....I didnt make out the name, and surely did not recognize him either. I looked around and saw one of the drivers that had finished way behind us all night go up to get the trophy. Wow this is weirder.

Alright everyone, please quieten down. In third place in the junior bushing class is Chris Hontz. I had no clue who this was. Looking around I see that one kid I now know his name for real. But it didnt sound anything like what I heard when he introduced himself earlier.

I am completely lost now. I was sure about the results and none of this made any sense. The announcer calls out the second place finisher. I smiled proudly at Steve, but heard the announcer call out someone elses name instead. What the heck is going on now? The announcer continues on talking. And it comes as no surprise to everyone who is the winner when his brother finishes right behind him. I see the other Westbend driver holding up his hands and headed up to the podium.

The Westbend brothers are standing on the mocked up podium finishing in first and second place. Well nothing more than a few of those metal milk crates to stand on for a moment while being handed a trophy. Huh? What the heck is going on tonight?

There was a lot of commotion coming from the crowd now. Even some questions for more clarification. Enough people had congratulated us already to know something was not right. The third red flag for tonight.

Alright just a moment. There seems to be some question about the finish order in this one junior class tonight. I now turn over the microphone to the flagman for an explanation of the discrepancy.

He clears his throat right in the microphone. Yuk, that just made me sick. "As some of you may be aware of already, there were a few problems during all three of the junior bushing heat races tonight. I will clarify everything right now. In the first heat race, two drivers were disqualified for unsafe driving on the last lap. We have very strict rules pertaining to safety out here and intend to enforce them. Otherwise they do no good."

In the second heat race one of those same drivers took two tires off the track while passing at the start when the flag was dropped. So he was disqualified. The other driver was also disqualified for unsportsman like conduct after the race for arguing and lying to me about a call I had made involving the first driver in question. Since they are team mates, it was more than obvious to me they were conspiring with each other and trying to reverse my call.

The second driver was supposed to have been disqualified for the whole night for unbecoming and unsportsman conduct. But the score keepers had not been made of aware of this or he would not have run the final heat race at all. Now his team mate was not disqualified until he had made an obscene hand gesture aimed directly at me right before the flag was dropped at the start of the third heat race.

I found that gesture so offensive, it caused me to miss judge the line up of this class and drop the green flag in error. So he is directly responsible for all of the incidents incurred at the start and finish of the final heat race. It was also decided the second driver was not just involved but responsible for that last accident. Any type of poor driving is not going to be tolerated on this track. So both of them are disqualified for the whole night.

It was a very difficult decision to make but we all agreed it is obvious that both of them severely altered the outcome of this one heat race. So it was called and scored on the previous lap, because it would have been a much different finish since these two disqualified drivers should had not been participating in the last heat race.

So the official finish of this race stands as it was just announced. Both of these drivers should have been black flagged and removed after the first lap. But I was a little preoccupied trying to deal with all of the other mishaps taking place out there.

Now I hand everything back to the announcer. There was some yelling and cat calls coming from a few people in the crowd. OK ladies and gents, I want to thank all of you for coming out here tonight for a great race. Our next scheduled event will be......

Someone threw one of the new driver recognition awards over the crowds head and nearly hit the flagman as he was walking off. The announcer continued talking, Alright that will be enough of this type of behavior tonight. We are all civilized adults here and should act like it.

Now our next scheduled event will be the same time next weekend. In three weeks we will be changing over to the afternoons to start our fall and winter lineup of racing. Please.... The arguing from the crowd grew a lot. Some very course and disrespectful words were being yelled and thrown around to anyone that was listening.

This same old crap out here at every single race. When is someone going to do something about it? How come they let them get away with this kind of this stuff all the time? Every week the same thing! I am done with it. This is my last time to race out here. Some others joined in and also agreed. Then one of those trophies that had been presented got lobbed up to the mock podium.

The announcer hastily finished his announcements. Please check the schedule posted at the registration building for more detailed information. Thank you again for coming tonight. The track is now closed. Sorry but there will not be open practice available tonight as we usually do following the races. That is all. Good Night.

I was not that shocked to hear what the flagman had just spewed out of his mouth. There sure as heck was no obscene hand gesture from me right before the start of the last heat race either. This is total crap. You cant tell me any of that was true. The flagman was dead set on making sure his kids were going to win tonight.

I noticed that Steve had disappeared to somewhere. Looking around I finally spotted him over talking to the grid steward and his son Chris something another. Oh crap this doesnt look good. Steve is very level headed, but had every reason to blow up over this. It is total bullcrap. Dad walked over to me and looked with a stern face. Did you really make that obscene hand gesture at the flagman?

Dad are you being serious? Nobody was ready or even close to lined up yet. I was holding my hand signaling to the flagman for another lap. That is the truth. Alright I was just checking and wanted to hear it from you in person. Several other people have already confirmed what you just said. I am going to have a talk with the grid steward. He doesnt usually show any favoritism. Dad you cant be serious?

I noticed after talking for a few minutes dad had raised his voice at Steve and made some motion to leave the conversation. Steve walked away with more or less of a drained look in his face without responding back. I decided to find out what was going on and cut him off as he was walking back over to our karts in the pits.

As he was approaching, Steve in a very loud tone spoke out. What the heck just happened? Why did we get ganged up on tonight? Are people really that big of complete assholes? Steve immediately lowered his voice after saying that. Almost whispering now, continues on. This is complete bullcrap. What was that about you giving the flagman some obscene gesture. When did you ever do that? I saw you hold up your hand. Nothing else. Is this what it is going to be like when we go racing every time?

If it is, then screw all of them! I am done with it. We came out here for out first race and get ramrodded off the track. It is like hanging out with robbers and murderers tonight. Everyone out here are complete A-holes and losers. This makes me sick. I hate these people. They an all go screw themselves with a pitchfork.

It sucks really bad. All the time we put in to start racing. Finally we come out here tonight and try to follow all of the rules. Now they go and make up rules just for certain people. This is what we got for all of that? Nothing but stabbed right in the back too! We both got screwed over good. This totally sucks big time.

Wow I felt bad enough before, but now it starts to even hurt a little bit worse inside. Steve was 100% right about everything he said already. There was no reason to try and stop him. He needed to just let it out. I sure wish there was a sledge hammer laying around here to tear something up right now. That might even do some good too.

We were now standing around our karts. They were sitting there just as dumbstruck are we were. I looked down and saw the new spark plugs on our engines. Then rehashed in my head about having to change them out right before the start of that last heat race.

Walking over to the grid area I saw the two broken spark plugs still sitting on the ground where they had been dropped. Man this goes beyond being unfair. Whoever did this earlier is going to pay some how. But what the heck can we even do? I seriously doubt anybody is just going to walk over here and tell us who did it.

I looked back over to see dad still talking to the grid steward. At first it seemed a little bit heated in an argument, but then I saw dad nod his head up and down then hold his hand out for a shake. They parted ways as dad came back over to the pits towards us.

OK guys tonight is a total wash. Lets get loaded up and head out of here. It is getting late and you two are not very happy campers. I dont blame you either. A lot of unsportsman like conduct did take place tonight and I dont think you guys had anything to do with it either. Just a simple case of wrong place at the wrong time.

Hey dad, how is it that both of our engines got the spark plugs conveniently busted off? Someone was sure being nice enough to do that for us. I have a good idea of who probably did this. It is really beginning to...

Dad interrupted me and said he was sorry our first time out here to race turned out to be such a bust. But no reason to cry over it right now. We sure cant go accusing somebody for breaking those spark plugs just because there are some narrow minded people out here running the show.

Lets load up and head out. I need to talk to both of you together when we get back and you have time to cool down just a little bit. Right now anything I say isnt going to do much good. Hop to it. Lets get loaded up and go home. Dad was not usually confrontational about things, but this time I thought he might have tried to get some real answers. Instead we are bailing out and leaving.

It seemed to take forever loading up. Some of the racers came over and thought we got a raw deal tonight, but also said they didnt know all of the details. As we were finishing up, the grid stewards kid came over and said how sorry he was for how things turned out. But how much fun he had racing with us tonight.

I still want you to know how very sorry I am for banging in to the back of your kart. I was running way up close to you and had nowhere else to go. I sort of feel responsible for you not completing that pass on the Wesbend. You ended up loosing two places because of my mistake. I asked around but nobody would tell me anything about why you two guys got pitched tonight. But did know some of the other people were really pissed off about it.

Then he hands me a business card. I look at it and see a company name. Fisher Equipment Sales. I gave him a questioned expression. He said, No, turn it on the back. I flip it over and see something written down. "Topher" Yep, even in quotes too. And with a phone number underneath. Will you guys call me the next time if you decide to come out again and race? Or even just going to the track? I sure would like to meet up and hopefully race with you again. Maybe we can even pit together too.

Well it took all night, but I finally know what that kids name is. Isnt that an odd and funny sounding name? Topher, huh? Thats your name? Yep. Hey, you can call me just about anytime. I sure hope you will too. We can talk about karts and racing all you want. I really love any kind of racing, but dont know that much about working on my kart or anything like that.

Uh, OK. I guess that is alright. Didnt you end up in third place? Yea that was me. Why you askin? I thought they said Chris somebody or something like that? Yea that is my name alright. All 90 pounds of this tough looking guy standing here in front of you. What is this Topher then?

Oh that is what everybody calls me. Well actually my name is Christopher. You know "Topher", get it? Oh I understand now. That makes a little bit more sense, I think. Who is this Fisher Equipment place on the business card then? Oh sorry, it that confused you. It is Paul Fisher. He is the grid steward tonight and one of the board members out here. That is his business. He sales concrete supplies.

Oh I thought it might have been your dad, or something like that? I wasnt sure. No way, not my dad. But he does help me out here a lot. My dad got me started racing earlier this year and then ran off with his secretary. He just ditched me and mom. I sort of hate him for leaving, but nothing I can do about it.

Oh, uh, I um, sorry to here that. That must really suck sometimes. I dont know what I would do if my dad ever bailed on my me or my family. I dont know if I could ever hate my dad, but in your case, it would really make me think about it seriously. Maybe even enough to.....

Hey, none of it is your problem. I should not be dumping my troubles on you. That is the fastest way I know of running people off for good. I do hope you will at least think about giving me a call sometime. You guys seem to know a lot about working on karts and stuff. It would be cool to get a chance to learn some of that for myself. I try to run out here much as possible, but dont have a clue on how to make my kart go any faster.

I only live a few miles up the road, but dont have a way to get to the track anymore. Well not without the Fish helping me out. If it wasnt for him, I would not be racing at all anymore. Well, I see you guys are ready to jet. It sure was cool to meet you. I hope you give me a call too. See ya later.

Hey Steve, what do you think? Should I give him a call? He sure seems persistent. Maybe a neat guy. I sure wouldnt want to find myself in his shoes tho. That would really suck. You know about his dad and everything. Oh, what was up with the grid steward earlier? Before my dad came over? What did he tell you?

Man I was really mad at him. After the first heat and then the last heat I was ready to just go off seriously in a bad way on him. He said his hands were tied and he didnt make the rules out here. It was a decision the rest of the board members made. He did not get involved with any of it. He was only filling in temporarily because another board member had recently left.

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM