Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 77

No sooner had we loaded everything into the back of the Ranchero and heading home, Steve was all in my face about getting his engine set up the same as mine. I have to admit, the difference between our two engines running now was way more than expected. It would be awesome having both karts running about the same speed again, but just a little faster next time.

I had already enlarged the reed openings on those stock manifolds. It made a big difference. There is still more they can be opened up. Maybe this could help even better, then put it on Steves engine. This may not increase performance as much as that Palmini intake manifold with a pyramid reed, but certainly would be in the right direction.

It will be simple enough to copy the modified HL-66 carburetor, so Steves engine has one too. But my brain keeps asking why just stop there? Go ahead and modify the ports, swap out to an E-65 piston, and weld counterweights on to the crankshaft. If doing some of the modifications, why not do all that I can?

Once again this gets right in the way of making it out to the track so we can actually race against the others in our class. Why is this so hard to do? We have spent most of the summer just getting two karts together and actually running fairly well. Sure dont know if they will be competitive or not. But until we are both out there and actually competing, no way to find out.

If I go to this much trouble, why not build a couple of the E-65 engines and run in the faster junior A-standard class? These motors sure wont be very competitive as they are, so modifying should get them a lot closer. Argh! Why does this have to get so complicated? Stick to the original plan and focus on actually racing!

That big ole bucket of fried chicken for supper sure did the trick. Mashed potatoes were good, but the gravy made them so much better. I am stuffed. Me and Steve head back out to the garage and start arguing about what to do again, and again.

We are getting no where arguing over trivial things this way. Originally we would have been ecstatic just to start racing in any class. Now we have some options but need to agree on something and stick to only one plan.

After a lot more discussion, we sort of decided to stay with only one class for now. Steve had suggested I go take one of the faster engines and do whatever I wanted with it. Then run it in the A-standard junior class, but he wanted to stay with the bushing class for now.

At first that seemed like a good idea, but then we couldnt really practice together to help get faster for either class. We needed to stick with only the one class. This way it would be a lot easier to set up both the karts. We could use each other to better our own driving skills. With each change we make, it would be obvious if this helped or not.

One of the downsides of running in the faster class, well there are actually two that come to mind right now. The first is there wasnt as many junior drivers in the faster class. I remember seeing only four of them last spring. I dont want to be running a class with only a few drivers showing up every week.

Being able to go to the track these two times practicing has really been fun and useful to prepare the karts for racing. But to start racing, we needed to focus on things like tires, chains, clutches, and making sure the engines are in top notch shape.

This sounds just like a money pit again. We spent most of the summer fixing, building and then buying everything else to getting our karts this far along. Now it is mostly money keeping us from going to the track and finally start racing.

There is another big downside bummer. Our summer break is just about over and school will be putting the brakes on any free time. Next week is orientation, then we are stuck for another school year with our heads in the books. We tried to make things happen sooner, but the amount of work needing to be done was a little bit overwhelming at first. But we did make it past the first hurdle.

Steve is caught up working with his dad finally, so now we both need to hit the neighborhood and get back to mowing yards again. Basically do any type yard work that could generate some income. I have a couple of regulars that are behind schedule right now. Sure dont want to loose those jobs due to me putting them off too long.

Over the weekend, I got back in to rhythm with the mowing. Dad mentioned that our yard was in dire need of work. I have a couple of push mowers that didnt take much tinkering to get back running. So while I am trying to catch up on some of my jobs, Steve went out in search of more work in the neighborhood.

Steve lucked out wrangling up several yards. Seems like some of the other kids doing the same thing, were not putting as much effort in to the job as me and Steve usually do. I always tried to do more than what was agreed on. Then have the people come out and confirm everything was to their liking. Sometimes we sort of screwed ourselves getting stuck with extra work, but always ended up with repeat business and occasionally a decent tip.

For the next week, we focused on nothing but work. Trying to earn enough money for buying a few things needed so our karts might be closer to finally start racing. As of now we are sticking with the junior bushing class. So long as we have two good running engines at that time, I could do what I thought best to make them faster. But within reason of course.

After going over some details, Steve agreed to buy a brand spankin new Bug Engineering connecting rod. Well that is really a Bradley rod for his engine. I would use the one we already have. There is a lot of time on this rod, but does not show any signs of wear. Hopefully this will not become a problem. Steve said he would prefer not risking his engine accidentally blowing up out there on the track when we finally do get to go racing.

After much consideration, my decision was to set up both engines the same with identical carburetors and manifolds. This should make them run about the same as before. For our backup engine, it would be built the same, but with the Palmini manifold. My thoughts on this sort of made sense to Steve. To supposedly keep the faster engine strictly as a backup. In case an engine had to be swapped out at the track, the backup would have a possible advantage in time of need.

The next week flew by and another Friday came around again. But this Friday morning, we are headed to J. L. Long Junior High School for orientation day. I have never been to this school before. It is across town in an older part of the city. Both my parents had also attended this school, so like it is really old. There is one super cool thing tho. This year I can take shop class.

Down on the lower level of this school is where most of the shops are. There is electronics, drafting, woodworking, plastics, and metal shop. For next year, I can also take power mechanics, which is in the metal shop class and includes working with small engines.

I really wanted to take the metal shop my first semester. But it was already full of other students. The ninth graders always get first choice of what shop they choose. So I ended up with either wood shop or mechanical drafting. It was a tough choice. I decided to go with mechanical drafting. But for sure, the next semester I was enrolled to take metal shop.

Me and Steve spent the rest of Friday wasting time in the garage after changing out of our new preppy clothes from the visit to school earlier in the day. Why I had to play dress up on a practice day at school made no sense to me, but most other kids did the same. I would have preferred blue jeans black tee-shirt and and my sneakers. Always comfortable and doesnt show dirt so much.

This last weekend before school started was also the last weekend of summer. Dad finally got caught up at work too. He had been asking me how things were coming with the karts. Naturally I told him the truth. I was surprised it had taken so long but very happy with what we had accomplished over the summer. Just that I was wondering if we would ever start racing.

Dad popped in right after work today inquiring about things. He started looking over the karts and wanted to know what was the holdup in getting the karts ready for their first race. Me and Steve sort of just looked at each other and not really having a good answer right then.

Well dad, nothing is really stopping us. I wanted to get a new set of tires and maybe change out some parts on Steves engine so both of them would be the same again. We have everything else more or less covered. I guess nothing is really holding us up except a ride out to the track....

So you boys think that your karts would be competitive enough to race tomorrow night? If you think so, may be just the right motivation to help getting those karts to the track. What do you say? Will your tires hold up for a race or two until you can buy some new ones? This is just hypothetical of course. The weatherman is saying tomorrow it is supposed to be raining most of the day.

Just then I had to beat my knuckles against my head. To really make sure I heard what dad had just said. No problem dad. My tires are good enough for at least one race. Steve, are you interested in finally racing tomorrow night? I didnt get a response from him at all. He was just about to hyperventilate before blurting out, HECK YEA MAN!!!!! Uh, sorry sir, Yes sir! As Steve gave his answer directly to dad.

If I dont have to remind you the yard needs to be mowed again, and weather permitting of course, then maybe we could make a trip to the track tomorrow night and I can see for myself how good you have these karts running. That is if you are really interested in racing. I am beginning to think you guys like to tinker with your karts and just bench race more than you actually want to drive them.

On this Friday afternoon, starting off the final weekend of summer, I decided to mow the yard. Even without being told to do it. Well after dad had made that suggestion, it seemed like the perfect time to mow the yard. Steve also had no problem with helping out today. We finished in record time and even pulled the weeds along the fence line. Then for some strange reason, we also bagged the grass and swept the patio and driveway. That was a forever first.

The afternoon was late, but this day was not nearly over. After the yard work, we decided to set the karts up for racing. Nothing different this time. Just making sure no surprises would pop up out there. I had been using up all of the old chains and piecing them together, so not to break open a new box. This was good a time as any to put my only new box of REX chain on the kart. Steve had almost new chain on his kart and was more than good.

There was no chance I could modify another carburetor in time for tomorrow nights debut race, so went a different route. At first I thought about letting Steve have the advantage using the Palmini intake manifold, and I would keep the modified carburetor. But I had no idea if or which one really helped out the most. Or worse if one might not work nearly as well without the other. Thats what happens when you make more than one change at a time.

Instead I removed Steves intake manifold and opened it up a lot more than was done from the first attempt. Then did the same to the other one already removed from my engine. Now the hard part was not using my cool looking modified carburetor for this weekend. I replaced it with the old Tillotson HL-15 that had been on my engine previously.

Now both of our engines were back to about the way they were before. We should be running roughly the same speed again. The big suck is I would now be noticeably slower than on our last practice day. I now know how much faster we should be with the other carburetor. So this means we wont be nearly as fast for our first race as we have been practicing already.

Saturday morning came soon enough. I was awoken to the sound of a hard rain beating down on the roof. Usually the sound of rain is really easy to sleep thru. But not today. Looking out the window, it was pouring down. As of right now today was going to be a complete wash. But it was possible the storm could pass thru and clear out later in the day.

Not being overly optimistic, but crossing my fingers, I went ahead and mosied back out to the garage and finished up swapping everything over. Most of it was already finished, but I wanted to double check all of the work we had done. Maybe round up some things that could be useful in case tonight worked out after all.

Steve dropped in shortly after I opened the garage door. I wonder how he does that all the time? I didnt think he can see the garage in direct line of sight from his house. There are a lot of trees in the way, but his timing is awfully suspect some days.

Hey man, what up? I had just finished sweeping some fallen leaves off the driveway and figured you would be out here working. Sure enough. Did you notice the rain stopped pouring down a little while ago? You think there is a chance we get to race tonight?

Dont have a clue. You tell me what the weatherman said for today? Sure would be neat if it does dry up so we can go. If it does, I think the karts are ready as they can ever be. I want to start them both up and make sure everything works after doing all that stuff to them last night. That would really suck if we get out there and the karts dont run right. Especially if from something I had changed out.

Clouds, more rain, sunshine, more clouds, more drizzle and later the sky cleared out what looked to be for good. It was close to three o'clock already. The rain had stopped and sun was now out. Bright and hot too. It went from what felt like a cool fall day back to the muggy summer afternoon I had grown up with. Dad came walking in the garage and said if we were going to race tonight, then maybe try to look a little more enthusiastic about it.

That was enough to bring me around. We spent the next hour sorting everything out and figuring how to get our karts and all of the equipment loaded. What gives? Didnt this stuff fit the last two times? Except we didnt bring some of this extra junk. You know all that "just in case" stuff. We had a lot more going out to the track this time. But wanted to make sure anything could be fixed that might give trouble.

For some reason I had a bad case of butterflies in my stomach. It got much worse the closer we drove to the track. Steve was quiet when we pulled in the parking lot. I asked what was up. He said nothing, but did feel a little bit queezy in his stomach. Maybe had been something he ate earlier.

Steve you feel like you might want to throw up but not really? Yea man, did we both eat the same food today? No dummy, you got a bad case of the butterflies. I dont know man, maybe I should take a trip to the john. Hey, be back in a few.

Wow, just getting out and walking around made me feel a lot better. So what do we need to do before racing tonight? Dad said get the truck unloaded and also to go register and I need to pick up an extra pit pass for him.

OK, then you go register first and I will get to unloading everything.

It took all the money I brought out here today just to cover everything and get registered. That wiped out most of the ten dollars in my pocket. We needed numbers too. That is something I had completely forgotten about. Hey Steve, we have a special drivers meeting with the grid steward.

Since this is our first race out here, they want to go over the rules and flags. That kind of stuff. You mean we gotta take a test or something? No Steve, just make sure we know what the flags and hand signals mean. I finished moving everything to the pits.

Now it was Steves turn to go get registered. I took this opportunity to give the karts another once over, one more time. No matter how many times you check things out, there is always something overlooked. Or maybe this is just a way for me not to feel so nervous tonight.

You owe me big, Steve said after returning from the registration building. I had to draw for your position, since you didnt already do that. You got second row inside, and I ended up with third row outside. Their program for regular weekend races does not time trial. You draw for position in the first heat race. Then they invert for the second. The line up for third heat is determined by results from the first two heats.

Then he handed me a piece of paper with a big X on it. Guess what rookie, you get to put this on the back of your helmet tonight. We have to wear an X for at least the next three races and maybe longer depending how bad we suck at it. Wow Steve, second row? Really?

Hey man, just relaying what they told me. Thems the rules for us noobies you know. Oh yea one other thing. We get to start in the back of the pack. As in all three heats tonight. Possibly for the next three times we race out here. This is the part that sucks the most. But that is what I was made aware of after the lady doing registration realized we had not raced out here before.

WOW, that does suck. No matter how well we do, it back to the back every time. No worry, we will probably just end at the back of the pack anyway. Start last, finish last. That is some consistency. At least we can have our own race out there tonight. Things could be worse Steve. We could be out here with Frank again and dealing with that kind of misery.

Our class was the number 6 race in line running tonight. There was a couple of the same drivers also running in the A-standard junior class. We get the chance to see how well they drive before having to compete against them later on. Anytime I have a chance to size up the competition, it was worth the effort. You can learn a lot watching their driving habits and how they react to other karts. A good way to know what to expect when running next to them.

The first thing I wanted to watch was how the starts were done. Not just seeing the flagman, but what the drivers did right before and after the green flag dropped. Things looked fairly predictable on the first races. Mostly for the single engine classes. The duals and big engine classes, well all bets were off on them. There was no way to predict what they would do when the green flag was waved.

The other classes, I noticed just how bunched up everyone was. They had sped up anticipating the green flag, but nothing really changed all the way down the straightaway. For the most part, the pack just stayed bunched up. There were a few drivers that bumped and fought, but the rest of them sort of fell in single file right before the turn at the end of the straight.

Steve, I got an idea. Starting at the very back might not be so bad tonight. Are you seeing how all of the drivers stay in line down the straight there? Nobody is challenging until the very end. But at the end could make for a big pile up if someone doesnt want to give up position or move over.

I know its a lot harder when out there running on the track than racing from the fence here. But if we hang back just a little bit, well it involves a really good guess on when the flag is going to drop. But if it doesnt, then you just gotta brake super hard to keep from banging into the driver ahead of you.

Huh? What the heck are you talking about? You lost me before the first turn. Steve gave me a real puzzled look just then. OK, Steve, For the first heat, lets just follow everyone else, doing exactly the same, and see how it goes. But if what I am thinking works out, we might have some fun racing tonight. That is if we can keep from taking each other out.

It is time for our race. My stomach is churning and feeling anything but comfortable right now. I am nervous as anytime I can remember. Even more nervous than that one night getting my first chance to actually drive a kart. I notice Steve is pacing in circles around his kart, obviously not worried in the slightest. Yea right.

Man, this is nerve racking. Is that heat race ever going to be over? Finally, the last lap! We were lined up on the grid and getting seated in our karts. The grid steward twirled his rolled up caution flag and said to start them up right as the checkered flag was dropped and waved.

Most of the karts in front of us go flying out on to the track at near full speed. Some of the drivers are doing exaggerated movements crisscrossing right and left. Everyone seems to be running like the race has already started. For the first lap the karts are scattered all the way around the track.

But after one completed lap, the lead karts slow down and that is when everyone starts lining up behind them. Me and Steve are way behind doing everything we can just trying to play catch up to the pack. Now that everyone is slowed down and starting to bunch together, we manage to fall in behind all of them.

They are all lined up very close and slightly bumping each other. At a very slow pace coming on to the long straight the flagman is holding the green flag rolled up and patting it down to keep us steady. Only the one lead kart romps down on the gas, anticipating the start, then jumps way ahead of everyone else.

The flagman immediately holds up a finger and puts the green flag behind his back. We are now zooming at near full speed, around the track again. Then slow back down to bunch up coming on to the straightaway like the last attempt. On this lap the lead driver dont try to jump the start. Instead he actually holds back everyone really slow as we pull on to the long straight.

This time the flagman dropped it just as the majority of the pack had pulled out of the turn. The leaders were the only two karts that had straightened out and already accelerating while we were just now exiting the turn. The flagman didnt seem to care about any of the other karts not yet caught up. This did let the lead two drivers getting a good run early enough to put some distance between them and everyone else.

I see we might need to have a strategy for the starts. Looks like is would be easy for the lead karts to totally screw with the other drivers behind them. This got me to thinking about our rookie driver instruction class we had to attend right before the races began tonight. The grid steward and flagman gave use the usual lowdown of how the races were run. The flagman also made clear that he controls the start of the race, not the drivers.

It was discussed in detail on how he wanted the pack to line up. How the pace was to be set and he alone would decide, if everyone was lined up to his liking, when to drop the flag. If there were stragglers in the back that were not up with the rest of the pack, did not matter. This was the drivers responsibility to be in position. A driver could hold up a finger if not ready, but that was usually only going to happen if most of the pack was still spread out a lot.

There was a fairly large group of us noobies tonight in the meeting together. I figured out several drivers were not first time racers like me and Steve, but maybe had never raced here at this track before. Regardless of experience everyone new to the track had to go thru the same ritual. So we were told. Not all of the other drivers had X's on their helmets. I didnt see any others here that would be in either of the junior classes.

One driver that was definitely not new to racing wanted some clarification to exactly when the race started. Basically asking when the green flag was dropped then if it is full on racing? He had mentioned something about another tracks rules that a kart had to maintain position until after they passed the start finish line. Not just when the green flag dropped.

The flagman said that they no longer start the race when standing out in the center of the track. In the past, you had to cross the start finish line before legally passing another competitor. There had previously been several incidents involving the flagman and serious injuries.

Now they start the race on one side of the track. Another thing the flagman mentioned is a driver can not have two wheels off the track just to make a pass at the start. That was considered circumventing the track or taking a short cut, for those of us less edumacated, according to the flagman.

The flagman went further to clarify some other details about the starts and driving off the track. In certain circumstances, it is allowed if there is a situation where you cant stop quickly enough in a safe manor or move forward without causing or being involved in an altercation. So long as you dont gain position, then it was legal to leave the track at the start. But this would be at the discretion of the flagman, grid steward or corner marshal.

So if I understand everything tonight, when the green flag drops the bullcrap stops. The driver in pole position sets the pace. If the two lead karts cant run a steady pace or stay lined up, they get rotated to the back and the next row of karts moves forward.

Two wheels off the track to make a pass at the start is not allowed. But is allowed if avoiding a wreck, so long as you dont gain position. That makes no sense to me. Of course this is all at the discretion of said flagman. If you piss him off, he WILL let you know about it. This is mostly what I understood from the meeting.

Since me and Steve are way back here in the back, nobody is going to care if we are not bunched up with rest of the other drivers. This is what I was hoping for. But until I get some real racing time on the track, what I was thinking is pure speculation on my part. It may not even be possible to pull off what is working in my head right now. But if I am right.....

Back to earth since the green flag had just dropped. All of the guys in front of us sort of got caught off guard. The two leaders jumped way ahead right from the start. For the next few laps me and Steve more or less play follow the leader. As much fun it would be to try and push ourselves to the limit, we will still start the next heat race in the back.

I saw no other option but sit back and feel out our first few laps. If there was an opening then take it, but otherwise lets try and at least take the checkered flag instead of pushing back in to the pits from poor judgement on our part. It didnt take long to figure out that most of the drivers were much slower than us. Steve immediately went wide and around two very slow karts.

Another lap and I was back behind him. He got a little impatient and tried to pass another driver. That kart was just evil looking going thru some of the tighter turns. He ran decent down the straights, but was nothing but a moving chicane everywhere else. Steve lost momentum from his attempt, and went wide trying to keep from hitting that other kart. This left a hole wide open for me to get underneath both of them.

Steve got back focused and was able to make an easy pass at the next turn and closing right back in behind me now. There are three karts directly ahead of us. Then way ahead of them are the two leaders. Of the twelve entries, we got by two of them that were asleep at the start, two more not running very fast, and then one kart that wasnt handling very well. For our first attempt out here racing, so far it was somewhat exciting and fun.

At the half way point the flagman gives us crossed green and checkered flags. Now there are four remaining laps. We have been catching up to this pack of three. None of these guys are really trying to pass each other right now. More or less playing follow the leader. All of them were holding a very defensive line and choking down on the inside of every turn.

Steve is right on my bumper and keeps slightly tapping the back of my kart. With two remaining laps, I see a chance of making a pass. Steve is probably getting antsy and I figure he is also wanting to make another pass before this heat race is over. On the outside of the long straightaway turn looks like might be a good place to make that move. He really likes to pass there. Since no one in this group is really challenging each other, the outside of this sweeping turn is wide open.

When me and Steve are running in line with each other, we can gain a little bit more speed. This one lap I come on to the straight and try my best to duck down and keep myself very low in the kart. Steve is shadowing close to my rear bumper as possible. From the amount of distance we are closing in on this small pack of three, both of us would need to let off the gas not to slam right into the back of them. So now is the perfect chance to make that pass.

At the end of the long straight we are running much faster right up behind the others now. Instead of going low like like they had been consistently doing, we both shoot out high to the outside. I am betting everything we can make a clean pass. Coming down the straight, this was my plan if we closed up on them quick enough.

At the end when I went high to the outside, Steve stayed right behind me in this fast sweeping turn. The track is very wide here and tho risky, three karts could possibly run side by side. But at speed, passing three karts inline at once, may be pushing things a little bit too much.

We really lucked out since the other drivers never saw it coming. They were just focused on each other or what was directly in front of them. We both went around on the outside and squeezed in front before the tighter right hander just ahead. We pulled far enough in front of them to stay clear of everyone. But passing the leader of this pack I see the kart did start to swerve and jerk like the driver sort of panicked and almost lost control.

We get lucky, make a ballsy pass and end up staying inline with each other for the remainder of the last lap. We pulled away and ended up finishing third and fourth position taking the checker flag. I did see those other two karts were several lengths ahead of us.

Aside from the experience of driving, this did nothing for our position, since we would be starting in the back again. The two karts in the lead ran away with it since no one else was up there with them. They were not really that far ahead. I did notice how much they were beating themselves up in every turn trying to take the lead from each other.

It would have been smarter to use a few of those laps getting some distance on the rest of the pack first. Well that is something I thought would have made sense. But this is my first race, and cant say what I would have actually done. Since I have not been in any type of racing situation yet.

As we pull off the track back in to the pits, the two lead karts have already stopped and sitting up ahead side by side. Thats when I noticed both of them were running Westbends. Wow that did make me feel a lot better. Even with the gutzy move we just pulled off, I didnt know what to expect for our first race. You always want to finish good as possible, so I should be very excited.

It sure didnt bother Steve for me to get around him earlier. We both should be elated about what just happened. My brain is already working on how to do better in the next heat race. Me and Steve get out of the kart and he gives me a big high five. That was awesome man. I dont see that last pass could have been planned any better out there either. Just about then, I see the grid steward marching over our way. With a rolled up caution flag in hand he is pointing to both of us and yelling something.

Steve is in his own little world of racing extasy right now. I am feeling a pit in my stomach as the grid steward approaches with a dirty scowl on his face. Hey Steve, we got company. Steve had just removed his helmet and was swinging it around wide to set it over in his seat. The grid steward had just walked up behind him a little bit too close and almost gets knocked over by accident. Ohs noes, we is in trouble for sures now.

Even before the grid steward regains his ba1ance, he is yelling about something. You two boys get over here right now! Just what the hell do you think you were doing out there? The flagman told me you guys were really running way over your heads in that turn.

He says that was stupid and reckless as he has ever seen on this track. If I see or hear from the flagman that either of you try more of that kind of bonehead driving anywhere out there, well expect to be loading up and cashing out of here early tonight. DO BOTH of YOU understand me? Do you?

No sooner had mr grid steward spouted off, my dad shows up and asking him exactly what the problem was. He explained that our little stunt caused a wreck involving three other drivers in that turn. I am not going to put up with this wreckless behaviour like what they just pulled out there. These two boys have been warned and no second chances if anything else involving us happens like that again. Game over!

Alright I am now trying to figure out what we did that was so terrible? Then I asked what did we do that was actually wrong? He gets more red in the face and goes off yelling right at us again. Are you kidding me? You DONT pass three karts at one time like that on the track. It is just plain reckless. Not to mention the pileup you two caused after that stunt.

I then said we didnt hit anyone out there. We went high on the outside and not close to any of the other drivers. If anything were to happen, we would have just spun off the track. What was wrong with that? We both made a clean pass and didnt force anyone out of their line either. Just about this time, a corner marshal had walked up to the impound area where all this commotion was taking place.

He patted me and Steve on the back and said what a great move that was out there. He was very impressed with how well both of us worked together to set up and pass those slower karts so cleanly. We handled ourselves really well. Especially on the outside like that. This is when the grid steward started yelling at the corner marshal. Are you blind? These two kids nearly caused a major catastrophe out there. It is lucky that those three other drivers managed to keep from getting seriously hurt.

From behind me and at a very high pitched tone I heard,+ Wow, that was so amazing! I turned around and saw another driver that had pushed his kart up behind us. I think he was one of the three we had just passed. You guys sure caught us off guard. I didnt even know anyone was next to us. That was a bad to the bones pass as I have ever had pulled on me. But I screwed up out there. Like big time.

Did you guys get into a wreck after we made that pass? I thought we were clear of everyone?

The kid then looks over at the grid steward and says in that same high pitch, Hey Fish, what are you so mad about? Wasnt that some awesome pass these guys made on us? I was only focused directly in front of me. They caught me so off guard and went right around. Oh I am sorry for that screw up. It was my fault for loosing it out there. I wasnt thinking about getting passed on the outside of that turn. Really all my bad.

So did we cause you guys to wreck out there? Heck no!, he says. I screwed up by hitting the brakes and then the other guys sort of had no where to go. We bounced and banged in to each other, but still made it thru the turn without any other mishaps. I just choked out there. Looking at both of us, he put his hands around his neck pretending to gag while stumbling backwards.

Then the kid turns directly facing me and holds out his hand. My name is &$*#..er. With a few karts still running and the commotion taking place I couldnt make out what he was saying. But did shake his hand and reply back. Glad to meet you. My name is Terry. The other guy there is my buddy Steve. We were having some fun tonight. I hope I didnt spook you too much. It was sort of a last minute decision. Maybe not such a good idea now thinking about it.

Are you kidding? You guys were impressive out there. I was just surprised seeing both of you driving around me on the outside at the same time. Then just pulled right back in front like running on rails. I mean not a mistake at all. How long have you two been racing? Do you guys usually run the regionals or something like that? Dont think I have ever seen you race out here before.

By this time the grid steward had stopped yelling so much and walked away from the crowd talking alone to the corner marshal. I couldnt make out what they were saying, but both arguing and speaking over each other. Um, do what? Me and Steve hitting the bigger races? You are joking, right? We both look at each other and start laughing really loud. This other kid got very red faced and quieted down.

Dude, I am sorry, not laughing at you, but what you said. This is our very first race ever. We have been working all summer trying to get something together and hoping to start racing soon. We have only been out to make a couple of practices so far just to shake the bugs out of our karts.

This kart here was a complete disaster when I first got it. Steves kart is a near perfect copy of this one. Well after this one had almost been fixed. All we have been talking about is some day to start racing. For the last six months, we have been trying to make it happen. So tonight is out first debut. Oh by the way, I really had a blast out there.

Steve butted in now and mentioned about how tough it was committing to actually make that pass. I was scared to death we might screw it up. But once deciding to go for it, my kart seemed to know exactly what to do. So I was just out there for the ride. And what a fun ride it was.

OK Steve you are being a little too modest there. That is your signature move if anybody has one. I was certain you were going to follow me thru no matter what. Even if I was driving over my head. I sure would have followed you without any hesitation. But then thought if I chickened out you would probably run right over the top of me. So if I screwed up, it would not turn out so well for either one of us.

Man, when you shot up high, I knew exactly what you were getting ready to do. So I stayed on the gas and followed just deep as I could. If you screwed up then you would have spun off the track without affecting anyone else. And I might have followed right off behind you too. But more than likely would have made a clean pass without your lead.

Even before you actually committed to making that pass, I was pushing hard on your bumper and hoping you were going to try something before the race was over. The other karts never even changed their line. If any one of them would have made a move, I would have no where to go. But then everything just went in slow motion. We made good on the pass and able to pull in front of them without causing any problems.

I looked at Steve with a strange smirk. Yea right, you mean to tell me all of that crap was bouncing around in your head going into the turn? Yep sure was Terry, I was trying to figure out what to do just in case YOU chickened out. Then I responded back, Gee, the only thing I thought about was not spinning off the track.

Well now after thinking more about it, there was something else going thru my head. It was a brief memory at the very moment you bumped me before going into that turn. A flashback to the crash when this kart got clobbered and I didnt have a clue to what had even happened.

That had not entered my mind before now. I dont remember nothing after going air born anyway. Once the kart started spinning, I was in the DO DA DO DO twilight zone for the duration. But there have been glimpses of different things since that night that pop up in my head. This sure doesnt build up my confidence getting ready for the next heat race.

What the heck are you guys talking about? I thought this was your firt time to race out here. (the kid I still dont know his name). So have you two been racing a lot already, or not? Steve goes on to clarify things. No man, this is our first time ever to race. As in now, tonight. Just that this guy here had a small mishap last spring when he got the chance to take a test drive on a loaner kart. After he did, I didnt get the same chance.

We were here checking out the karts last April during spring break. Mr Cates had offered Terry a ride on an older model loaner kart of his. He had one, and I do mean had, a kart that a whole bunch of new drivers got to take their first laps on. But Terry found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We met a kid that night who also raced and was nice enough to show Terry the line to follow out on the track. So they had been making laps and looked like he was starting to get the hang of it out there. Back in the pits it seemed that some other driver in the junior class had some unfinished business for him. Not Terry, the other guy, and caused a little upset over in the very same turn.

Wooh! Wait a minute! Are you talking about the one guy who went flying off the track after the races? Wasnt he carried off in a stretcher? You are that guy? Nope, not me. He is that attention whore no driving numb nuts standing next to you. I was just a spectator witnessing a kart do some awesome flying maneuvers. And Terry managed to do all of it without even having a pilots license. Surprised the FAA didnt sweep in and do a full investigation after that unexpected solo flight of his.

Unbelievable! I was out here that night too. Afterwards we were getting ready to leave. I remember seeing David Watkins out there running with another kart. Then one guy who was always causing a scene out here, uh Greg somebody. Well he dont race here no more. I saw him pull out on the track and intentionally ram right into the left side of Davids kart. Then watched that other kart go sailing, no, it was more flying like you said, out there way past where they keep the grass cut down.

I didnt know if that guy lived or died. It looked the worst I had ever seen a wreck before too. So that is you two guys? What ever happened to the kart? I remember seeing it being drug back up to the pits. Well parts of what was left of that kart. I couldnt believe all the damage it had.

Looked more like a broken lawn chair. I was laughing thinking why would somebody put an engine on a dumb old lawn chair. Wow, a three wheeled lawn chair racer. How about a new sport? There wasnt much left that looked salvageable. At least I didnt think there was.

Are you kidding? That kart is tough as nails. Didnt take much more than a good spit polish and we got it back together easy enough. It is this kart right here. Me and Terry had that thing up and running in no time at all. OK, Steve you are stretching it just a bit there. We may have done a little bit more work to get it up and going again.

The kid yells. Hey Fish! You are not gonna believe this. Come over here. The grid steward came walking back next to where we were standing. He had finished talking to the corner marshal and still giving me the evil eye. Did you know this is the same kart that crashed last spring? You know the one where that guy was hauled off to the paramedic in a stretcher?

No I wasnt. But that is one more reason I get so worked up at times. I dont want you kids to get hurt racing on the track. These two guys here are new drivers. It is way too easy to get carried away out there and crack some heads open. It is very fortunate that nothing turned ugly out there.

But Fish, I am the one that screwed up. I was not paying attention to who was around me. You know what you are always telling me how I should be paying more attention out there. Just had my eyes focused straight ahead and nothing else.

The next heat race cant come soon enough for me with these guys running tonight. I will definitely be keeping my eyes and ears open to everything around me from now on. Fish, are you really mad at them? Or just afraid of maybe me getting hurt? Look, I am always concerned that you or anybody else could get hurt out there.

Maybe I acted a little in haste tonight. From the flag mans description, it sounded a lot worse than what the corner marshal told me. He was right on top of that turn and filled me in with a good description of what really took place. It was a lot different than the flag mans version of what had happened.

The grid steward looks back over to us. I am still keeping my eyes on you two tonight. In my opinion that is a risky place to make moves like that. Especially being the fastest turn on this track. Maybe one kart passing another, but both of you together is just too much. Next time think long before trying something like that again.

Alright all corner marshals back on the track. Time for the second heat to start. First class should be already gridded and the next class on deck. Lets get this race back underway.

Since me and Steve had no actual altercations with other karts in the first heat, we just checked over the usual stuff. Then gassed up and oiled the chains really well. After that we headed over to the fence and watched the other heat races. The second heat races that run before ours didnt have much excitement.

The lineup had been inverted from the previous heat, so it was just like a repeat with different karts leading at first. Of course that made no difference to us, since we were still way back in the back. The big question is how well those two faster drivers in our class do going thru traffic this time.

When we were gearing up for the second heat, I asked Steve if he was ready to make a super trick move at the start. I gave him the details, then he put some thought in to it before answering back. Man that sounds like a perfect setup. Especially after watching some of the junior drivers in the other class that just ran. I like the idea, but liked even more picking off karts one at a time.

Since we are starting all the way in the back, there are ten other karts still in front. I want to see how well I can run with those two guys that finished first and second. If there is a chance I can hang with them for a few laps, well that is what sounds good to me.

Since nothing is going to help our starting position for several more races, I just want to drive in traffic tonight. At least in our next heat race. Maybe we try that in the last heat. You know just in case it bombs out, we wont have to load up early if we tear everything up.

Hey Terry, if you want to still do it for the second heat, go ahead. I dont think anyone will catch on to what you are trying. But if we both attempt it at the same time, may be only one chance getting away with it.

OK Steve, I want to give it a try anyway. If I can get the jump on those two fast guys at the start, then it will take a few laps for them to make up the distance and catch back up to me. They will be stuck behind those other real slow karts anyway. Why not try to follow me just in case there is an opening. Dont try to hold back if you get a chance.

Heck, if I get a clean jump, just drop down behind me and follow thru anyway. If nothing else you could block for me and hold off those two fast guys long as possible. Maybe if I can put enough distance between you and me that they dont have enough time to catch back up and pass. Then I might end up even winning this heat. I smiled really big when saying that.

Alright man, that sounds more than doable. It wont be as obvious this way at all. If you get a good jump at the start, I will pull in right behind and hopefully nobody else tries to drive down on the inside that early. Looks like it it time to head up to the grid. Good luck with it.

This time around the flagman dropped the flag early again. But nothing like the last heat race. The front two karts were running a very slow pace. Everyone was bunched up really tight too. I had no idea of what those two fast guys running the Westbends would be planning to do at the start. It does look like they have been racing a while. Their equipment is top notch and with those faster engines, I dont stand much of a chance going head to head with either one of them alone. Much less if both of them get smart enough and start working together.

With the early start the previous leaders didnt even try to jump ahead. It really did not look like anyone was racing. Just still following each other, but now just a lot faster. Before the flag dropped, I was running close to the inside hanging back more than a kart length with Steve to my right.

Everyone else was bunched up tightly together hovering closer to the flagman on the high side of the track. I had already hit the gas and committed way before the flag did fall. In case the flag didnt come out, it would have been hard braking. Fortunately there was no one behind me, so should not have caused any problem.

With everyone bunched up so tight kept the pace very slow. I had that few extra feet to accelerate before closing the gap. When the green flag dropped I was already running much faster than everyone else.

By keeping down on the inside, I managed to pass those two fast guys directly in front, then the four karts in front of them. That was three rows I pulled ahead of with that slight difference in speed. This put me in the fifth position before even making it to the end of the straight.

I was betting on everyone staying lined up like in the previous heat. If a kart jumped out to the inside there could have been a major crash. I never got my tires even close to the edge of the track either. Why was that even going thru my head just now? Rehashing the new drivers meeting, hum? So was good to go there, if there were any complaints.

Since enough ground had been made on those two fast karts, I was optimistic they would not be banging on by bumper for another lap of two. They still had to get around those other slower karts in front, now behind me. There were four karts staying close together ahead, but I has closed right up on them easily.

It was fairly simple to pass these other karts. I just needed to be patient and wait for an opening when one of them made a major mistake. It didnt take long for the first kart in front to mess up. He tried to make a move underneath the other kart coming out of a slow turn. They bumped into each other and slid out wide, scrubbing off too much speed.

While they were trying to get straightened out and back in the groove I just slipped underneath both of them coming on the front straight. I could tell my kart was running much faster. Just needed to hold my position and take advantage of any mistake each one made.

The next two karts were also no trouble to run down. They were fighting so much with each other for position, so I pull right up behind and then stuck my nose up next to them instead of waiting for an opening. Lap five had just finished and I could not tell if anyone else was behind me very close. I kept putting the pressure on these two other karts when they were again battling for position. This ended working out very well.

On the next lap they both tried to hold their line down low and tight going in to the sweeper. I had stuck my nose in several times already, hoping to set them up. I had dropped down to the inside the previous two laps before the white flag would come out.

This time around the white flag was waving and both karts went low and stayed there. They were not fighting for position on this lap, but making sure I wasnt getting underneath them again either. We went around the rest of the way like this until coming on to the long straight again. Unfortunately, they were too close to each other.

The one guy in front of me bumped the other driver. This caused both of them to break loose and let off the gas for only a second. But that is all it takes sometimes. I stuck my nose back in there again where they had been trying to block and never let off.

I ended bumping wheels and getting banged into from behind after passing these two guys. This also kept my kart going forward instead of drifting out. So all I needed to do was stay on the gas coming off of this faster turn onto the long straight.

OK, at first maybe I should have thought this thru a little bit better. Same sort of situation as the last heat. But only two drivers getting passed by one kart this time. And on the inside for this pass. This turn is not nearly as fast driving thru as that other one. No I dont see a problem with this pass either.

Well those two guys never expected that to happen. They stayed down low and choked the turn too tight, then screwed up. Scrubbed off a lot of speed, leaving an opening that was too inviting not to stuff in the nose of my kart.

But they botched up any chance of holding their position and staying ahead. I was now leading the last lap. This was such an awesome feeling at the moment. But that didnt last long as I would have liked.

Coming up on the start finish line for the checkered flag I had a black flag waved at me and then the checker was given to the kart following closely behind. Crap. What the heck did I do this time? After making the rest of the lap, I held out my hand and disappointingly pulled off the track into the pits.

Man what is it with you and all the trouble that follows around everywhere you go? I looked around to see Steve was there. He finished right behind me. Looks like you got disqualified for some reason. Wonder if that makes me the winner? Oh man, sorry about banging into you in that last turn. I had no where to go and looked like you needed a little push anyway.

Screw them this time, I didnt do anything wrong out there.

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM